Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

"Yet they continue the head-cracking activity." - Jerry Seinfeld

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand Reid's rationale in wanting to groom Kolb into a franchise QB. It would be one thing to throw a season away in order to provide him with game experience. But, the guy has suffered a concussion. Not an injury to take lightly nowadays.

Fortunately, the Eagles do have Vick who seems to be healthy, mobile and has experience i.e. provides them with the best chance of winning. In fact, the Eagles would have won their first game had he played it entirely.

More importantly, starting Vick putshis skills on display to other teams that might be interested in acquiring a starting QB. The Raiders, Panthers, Jaguars, Browns, Chiefs and Jags to name a few, could use him right now. Philly could trade for another back-up QB or draft pick. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

They decided that it would be better to play Vick because he can run too. I don't know if this is BS, but that's what I just heard on ESPN radio.

Well, that's kind of shitty reasoning. As opposed to fixing the O-line, they put in the guy that can run away when it inevitably collapses?

I actually think it makes sense for the time being, but it's a backassward approach.

Indeed. While he may be the quick fix, that line's gonna get used to a very mobile QB REAL quick. After that, it's gonna be hell getting them to think about making a pocket
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Indeed. While he may be the quick fix, that line's gonna get used to a very mobile QB REAL quick. After that, it's gonna be hell getting them to think about making a pocket

Yeah, that's one of the problems with a run-first, look-to-pass second QB: the defense has a better read on where the QB is going than the OL does.

It seems that running QBs are the rage in college now, but it just doesn't translate well against faster NFL defenses. I see MV having a few good runs each game, but not taking the Skins into the playtoffs on his running skills, alone.

"I never knew that music like that was possible." - Mozart ( Amadeus movie)

Yeah, that's one of the problems with a run-first, look-to-pass second QB: the defense has a better read on where the QB is going than the OL does.

It seems that running QBs are the rage in college now, but it just doesn't translate well against faster NFL defenses. I see MV having a few good runs each game, but not taking the Skins into the playtoffs on his running skills, alone.

B&W, MV plays for the Eagles but I agree that he cannot run them into the playoffs. ;)

IMO, colleges are handicapping those QBs who buy into a run first mentality.

Very few if any of them will be successful in the NFL. As mentioned, defenses are too smart and fast. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Looks like the Raiders are following Coach Reid's example.

Frankly, I approve. Jason Campbell is simply not an exciting player. He doesn't seem that into it. Gradkowski may not be as skilled, but the brother appears to have heart.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

A good many teams are having serious QB woes as of right now. And it's just week 2. Things will settle down for some.. (Vikings, Dallas? Steelers) And probably get much much worse for others(Carolina, Buffalo, Cleveland). The rest are wait a few weeks and see deal.. As is the case with teams like Atlanta, Jacksonville and Baltimore, who are really questioning what they ultimately have. Of course we'll only hear about those teams issues from the NFL rumor mill. It becomes very expensive if real doubt gets out.

As for Mike Vick, he's playing for his life. Remember, he not only did jail time, but lost his entire fortune, so he's authentically the greatest reclamation project the sports world may ever see.

The bad news for the Eagles is that Vick is calling the shots..literally, with his play. He's playing out the last year of his deal now, so if he plays well all or most of the season, he gets paid, but likely by another team, then Reid looks like a fool for getting rid of Donovan, and is left with with an alienated(Matt Leinarted) Kevin Kolb who's teammates don't have any faith in. That, or Andy Reid & co are forced into a bidding war and will have to over-pay for Vick going forward. Of course they could head this off by negotiating with him before the end of the season, but they take a huge risk doing that.

The best bet for Andy Reid is that Vick falls on his face by the time they get to the ugly latter part of the schedule, and then has to be replaced by Kolb. In that scenerio, Reid saves a little face, and Vick can then be retained as a backup next year for the bargain basement price, and Kolb is looked at as a new hope.

TROLL . . . ish.

In the NFL, reality sucks. The QB problems for many teams in the league are not the only problems that teams are having. Look at the Patriots loss to the Jets. In the first half, it looked like the Patriots were in control, but the second half the Patriots........ :bor: didn't do all that well. :rimshot:

And of course, the Steelers Defense has made up some ground for the poor and boring play of the Offense. The Steelers should be better once Ben comes off suspension, if he manages to stay out of bars, kept his fly up and his mouth shut.

Its a pity when the life/death of my life long NFL team has to depend on a asshole. :sick:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Things I've learned so far this season:

- Redskins as a road favorite (or even a road dog) is a fool's gambit.

- The only thing certain about San Diego in the first quarter of the season is uncertainty.

- Never take a double-digit favorite against a brand new QB (Pats-Bills)

- Never bet against Indy unless you're getting at least a dozen or they're playing the Texans. :D

Anybody watch the Steelers/Buc game? This is another example of why its so difficult to pick games, and point spreads in pro football. With both teams having good Defensive units, we all expected another :bor: game. Steelers scored 38 points. Say what? Sometimes the ball just bounces your way, which was literally the case two times in today's game, one was a touchdown for the Steelers. Next week, our least favorite team comes to Heinz Field. Get ready to rumble.

The Giants didn't get many breaks today. Eli got picked in the end zone and then a fumble at an inopportune time. Titans smoke 'em. At home?

And will the REAL Dallas Cowboys please stand up?

Whats up with NE? Is it just young players being inconsistent or do they really SUCK like Tom Brady observed last week? Or maybe Buffalo didn't lay down for them. Hmm.

Michael Vick appears to be back to form, so does Andy appear to be a genius now?

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

If you were Tomlinson, would you go with Roethlisberger when he's eligible or would you stick with Batch? I think I know what I'd do if Charlie keeps it up.

The Cowboys did what they needed to do. In the Fox pregame, Jimmy Johnson talked about focusing on the basics to keep possession of the ball and limit turnovers. That seems to be what they did and it worked. They need to keep at it to build themselves up a bit more before they start bringing the other stuff back. Remember, they beat themselves as much as anybody in games one and two. By fixing those mistakes, they showed how they can really play.

It's also funny how when they did that, suddenly Roy Williams finally became a factor. It will be interesting to see if he can keep that up.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If you were Tomlinson, would you go with Roethlisberger when he's eligible or would you stick with Batch? I think I know what I'd do if Charlie keeps it up.
If I were Tomlinson, I'd probably just keep playing for the Jets. Mike Tomlin, on the other hand, has some tough decisions to make in the coming weeks... :laugh:
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

They decided that it would be better to play Vick because he can run too. I don't know if this is BS, but that's what I just heard on ESPN radio.

Well, that's kind of shitty reasoning. As opposed to fixing the O-line, they put in the guy that can run away when it inevitably collapses?

I actually think it makes sense for the time being, but it's a backassward approach.

the problem with the o-line is that there is no quick fix for it. The center is done for the year and another starter is hurt, so you have 2 new guys thrown into the interior. While I think the line will get better (they didnt' look too bad yesterday), having a mobile qb will help them out. Vick isn't a run 1st guy anymore, if you watch what he's doing, he's reading his progressions and only running if he has to.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

The Giants turned in a profligate, disgusting and BEYOND worrisome performance, handily losing a game they should have dominated, moving the ball at will only to be completely undone by personal fouls, absurdly poor special teams play, and turnovers.

Ironically...I've never been happier with my quarterback. Judgment errors aside, he is delivering the ball far better than I have ever seen before--has been since the team's awful second half of last year.

From this, I believe HE is ready to lead a team to greatness, but something is deeply wrong with this club.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

by Griffinator:

Young players being inconsistent is my answer.

That would be my guess. NE hasn't sucked since they got rid of Bledsoe. Tom Brady was being harder on his team than I've been on the Steelers.

As far as Batch vs Rottenburger, if it were up to Terry Bradshaw, he would have fired Big Baby Ben. Not easy to do considering the huge signing bonus he received before he got in trouble again. Anyway, it was great to see Charlie Batch shine, even if is only for one game. He's VERY popular in Pittsburgh, he's from Homestead, and does a lot of charity work. He is about the community, and Rottenburger is about himself.

Mike T.

Just as with the loss in KC, the Chargers special teams surrendered two long returns to the Seahawks for TDs, and the O fumbled the ball twice.

The fumblitis can be fixed as it tends to be individual issue. Special teams though is more worrisome. I'm hoping it's just the number of young players on that unit who replaced veteran ST'ers such as Dobbins and Osgood who left, and others who got promoted to 1st string (eg. Siler).

If I were Tomlinson, I'd probably just keep playing for the Jets. Mike Tomlin, on the other hand, has some tough decisions to make in the coming weeks... :laugh:
:blush::facepalm:

Probably my best post about the NFL in ages and what do I do? I blow the name of the coach of what was my favorite team when I was a kid. Then again, I think I used to get the coach's name wrong back then too, Knox instead of Noll. :rolleyes:

I've always thought Batch has played well for Pittsburgh. His main crack at a starting position came in Detroit, IIRC. Boy, how many QB dreams have died in THAT town?

by Griffinator:

Young players being inconsistent is my answer.

That would be my guess. NE hasn't sucked since they got rid of Bledsoe. Tom Brady was being harder on his team than I've been on the Steelers.

As far as Batch vs Rottenburger, if it were up to Terry Bradshaw, he would have fired Big Baby Ben. Not easy to do considering the huge signing bonus he received before he got in trouble again. Anyway, it was great to see Charlie Batch shine, even if is only for one game. He's VERY popular in Pittsburgh, he's from Homestead, and does a lot of charity work. He is about the community, and Rottenburger is about himself.

Mike T.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Janikowski misses three FGs...two of them easy...one real easy. Raiders lose by 1. :facepalm:

I was so busy filming and editing

over the weekend, I wasn't able to watch any football at all. Finally, at 11 or so last night, I flip over to check out some highlights (or, in the case of the Raiders game, lowlights). I'm really glad I wasn't watching that game live... I would have thrown my shoe through the television after he missed that chip shot. :mad:

Archived