Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Shameless plugs sub forum?

Dave Bryce

Shameless plugs sub forum?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Shameless plugs sub forum?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...uch better seating than the last 20 people there. On Monday February 22nd. At the Jon Lovitz Comedy Club. In Universal City. The 22nd. (that's a Monday)

Monday you say? ;)

Why yes it is. Monday February 22nd. At the Jon Lovitz Comedy Club. In Universal City. The 22nd. (that's a Monday)

...uch better seating than the last 20 people there. On Monday February 22nd. At the Jon Lovitz Comedy Club. In Universal City. The 22nd. (that's a Monday)

Monday you say? ;)

Why yes it is. Monday February 22nd. At the Jon Lovitz Comedy Club. In Universal City. The 22nd. (that's a Monday)

And will you be performing?
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

So it appears that the only thing b may like more than the Lakers is himself.

:D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I end up ignoring sub forums - just another place I have to visit when I already have too many on my daily routine.

I'm inclined to agree with this...I'm concerned I'd miss music I'm normally hearing because the current thread pops to the top when there is some.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

It's not a bad idea, but it opens up the door to much more subdivision. Are we then going to have a sub forum for all the sports threads? Another one for "off topic" threads? A "sheep talk" sub forum? Not that organization is a bad thing, but if we're talking personal preference, I'd rather have everything in one place the way it is now. Call me lazy, but clicking into sub forums is something I rarely do, so I agree that it'll end up being forgotten for the most part.

If there were to be such a sub forum, I think it would be a good idea to impose some sort of condition on posting new threads, otherwise it may be a garbage pail for spam. For instance, you'd have to have more than 100 posts, or something like that. If it would create more moderator work, then maybe it's a bad idea, but surely there's a setting for that of thing in the BB software

edit: I just now realized that I passed 2,000 posts and am now a "Hall of Fame" member! That means my vote counts double, right?

I end up ignoring sub forums - just another place I have to visit when I already have too many on my daily routine.

I'm inclined to agree with this...I'm concerned I'd miss music I'm normally hearing because the current thread pops to the top when there is some.

I fall into this category too. At least when the FORUM MEMBERS - CDs/downloads available? thread gets bumped, I see it on the front page that I look at several times a day. I'll be lucky to visit a sub forum several times a year.

That said, I don't have strong feelings about this either way. I'd prefer to keep things as they are; but if we wind up with another sub forum, then that's okay.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I don't have strong feelings about this either way. I'd prefer to keep things as they are...

Best,

Geoff

I agree, Geoff. So the semi-finals will remain on Monday, February 22nd @ The Jon Lovitz Comedy Club in Universal City (formerly B.B.Kings). And last time I checked, that is indeed on a Monday. Thanks again.

I completely forgot that there ARE sub-forums. Shows how much I visit them.

And I'll gladly jump on the praise to dB bandwagon.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

dB

There usually are 2 advertisements on the right side of the screen with nothing but empty space below them. Is there a way to stick all the sticky threads and sub-fora over there? Most frequent visitors don't need to click those stickies often but have to scroll down the screen to get to the current threads.

Maybe have some kind of time limited list for people who want to post links to their CD. Have a nominal fee for listing it for a couple of weeks. After the time is up it can only be posted to the List your CD/Music here thread.

I agree, Geoff. So the semi-finals will remain on Monday, February 22nd @ The Jon Lovitz Comedy Club in Universal City (formerly B.B.Kings). And last time I checked, that is indeed on a Monday. Thanks again.

:thu::wave:

And I'll gladly jump on the praise to dB bandwagon.

Both props and credit to brother Dave. Thanks for your excellent work as both a moderator and a contributor to this great forum! :thu: :thu: :thu:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I don't have strong feelings about this either way. I'd prefer to keep things as they are...

Best,

Geoff

Update:

Semi-finals on Monday, February 22nd @ The Jon Lovitz Comedy Club in Universal City... show starts at 8:00pm. Thanks.

There usually are 2 advertisements on the right side of the screen with nothing but empty space below them. Is there a way to stick all the sticky threads and sub-fora over there?

I don't know for sure, but my guess would be not. The forum's control panel doesn't look like it includes options for how the layout is formatted. If it were possible, I don't think I'd be inclined to do that, though - seems to me they'd look like ads then, like the ones on the side column of Facebook...and I kinda don't want this forum looking like a place people can come to sell things.

I'm not in favor of having this sub forum. I like the CDs FS thread for the reason I stated - it comes to the top when someone has something to sell so the regular forum members can see it, and it doesn't matter very much to me if the "drive by" readers see these immediately or not - like I said, I don't see this forum as a marketplace...and if they're paying attention, there's stickies at the top of the forum that will easily show anyone who's interested enough to do just the littlest bit of investigating where to look (or, they could just start a thread asking where to look). In addition, I figure if anyone here wants to know what any other forumite is doing musically, chances are good that forumite has a web site and should probably have that linked in his sig. I also believe that taking these posts out of the main forum will actually further remove them from the public eye.

However, I'm all about the will of the people, and since the majority of those who voted clearly seem to want it, I'll talk to Jim about getting it lit up. :thu:

Thanks to everybody for all the kind words, and for taking the time to hang out here. This forum is nothing without you guys - you are it's heart and soul..... :cool:

dB

Thanks to everybody for all the kind words, and for taking the time to hang out here. This forum is nothing without you guys - you are it's heart and soul..... :cool:

dB

I am moved by your words dB, and so I'd like to take this opportunity to invite you to the semi-finals on Monday, February 22nd @ The Jon Lovitz Comedy Club in Universal City... show starts at 8:00pm. Thanks.

I'm not in favor of having this sub forum. I like the CDs FS thread for the reason I stated - it comes to the top when someone has something to sell so the regular forum members can see it, and it doesn't matter very much to me if the "drive by" readers see these immediately or not - like I said, I don't see this forum as a marketplace...and if they're paying attention, there's stickies at the top of the forum that will easily show anyone who's interested enough to do just the littlest bit of investigating where to look (or, they could just start a thread asking where to look). In addition, I figure if anyone here wants to know what any other forumite is doing musically, chances are good that forumite has a web site and should probably have that linked in his sig. I also believe that taking these posts out of the main forum will actually further remove them from the public eye.

FWIW, I agree with everything above. If the goal is to not have this place become a "marketplace", however benign it may be, then I certainly respect that and will post updates in the proper place.

If the goal is to not have this place become a "marketplace", however benign it may be, then I certainly respect that and will post updates in the proper place.

'preciate that, brother Jim...but I think the goal is actually more to try and have this place be what the people who hang out here want it to be. If there's a way to make everyone happy, I'm more than glad to try and find it. :thu:

Besides the marketplace thing, I'm concerned that this sub forum solution will actually have the opposite result by taking info I want to be kept up to date on off of the main forum. Those in favor of the sub forum don't think this will be a problem?

Perhaps a good solution is to light up the sub forum, and leave the CDs FS thread in place. Then people could choose which they prefer...?

dB

New sub forum is now active. Take it for a test drive and lemme know what you think. If it doesn't work, it's not hard to merge any thread created there back into the CDs FS thread in the main forum.

:wave:

dB

Take it for a test drive and...

Handles pretty well. However I'd prefer larger drink holders.

You're a funny guy steadyb, you should try your hand at comedy!!

Dohhh!!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Take it for a test drive and...

Handles pretty well. However I'd prefer larger drink holders.

Maybe if you stayed away from the Big Gulp... :idea:

http://ballyhooligan.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/big-gulp.jpg

dB

One unintended(?) bonus of the sub forum.

Previously, I was never sure of the rules for posting that kind of stuff. Start my own thread, post in an existing thread, or what? I know, the rules are up there but it's easy to forget if it's been a while (I'm a flake) or if I have something that might be borderline.

Now, us established users can go all willy-nilly. ;)

I know, not willy-nilly, but I think we can throw a bit more stuff in there without being "spammers."

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

i just found it, drove it and nearly ran off the road. The drunker I stay here the longer I get.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

If the majority says yes, then I guess that's that.

The deal ain't done. We're checking it out now....should be easier to comment intelligently after we see where it goes, I think...and if it comes down, at least we can say we tried.

dB

Archived