Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard stand for deep boards

Gary75

Is it just me, or does the one leg look out of whack? :freak:

I can appreciate its a perspective view, but damn, looks goofey!

http://www.apexelectronics.com/images/products/accessories/iks-8.jpg

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I may look into one of those as well.

Grazie.

Dan, you've seen that stand in action, actually; it was the one I used when I opened up for the Scorpions in Montreal. :thu:

Here's the link to the thread from Oct'07 with the close-up pics of my WS-550 after setup without boards on and with: clonk here.

If since done even more tweaking of component locations so that my current setup (Kurzweil PC3 on bottom, Yamaha Motif ES7 or Roland VK8 on top) is even more ergonomic in terms of board spacing/angle. :thu:

Yessir, forgot about that. I priced the setup at Tom Lee in Vancouver and it's $90 for the base, $125 for the second tier, & $22 for the support bar. Do you need 2 bars?

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

If you read carefully, you'll note that the picture you're quoting is the cheap, not-to-be-bought-under-any-circumstances Apex brand stand (not to be confused with the Ultimate Support Apex stand; Apex is a distributor of a lot of cheap crap, most of which should be avoided at all cost. :evil:

Yessir, forgot about that. I priced the setup at Tom Lee in Vancouver and it's $90 for the base, $125 for the second tier, & $22 for the support bar. Do you need 2 bars?

No, just the one WS-562 support bar.

Thanks. It seems the stability is increased depending on where the rear legs sit.

In any case, all these X stand collapses have me contemplating.....

Mine has got to be about 20 years old.

It doubles as a Goth kitchen tent.

Thanks. It seems the stability is increased depending on where the rear legs sit.

Hmmm... that might very well be; I always use mine as a 2-tier setup, which necessitates that the rear legs be at 90 degree angles to the main cross-bar. Perhaps the attachment of the cross-brace that the 2nd tier attaches to is also a factor.

+100! And I doubt it had anything to do with the fabricated 2nd tier as another poster suggested. It was a stationary piece (non adjustable)added at the right height (8" above first tier) for the 2nd board. I don't have a picture, but imagine two letters: TT, where the base of the letters is attached to tier 1 with screws from underneath.

Stan, the QuikLok 2nd tier attaches to a cross-brace that serves to make the stand even more stable than it is on its own (it basically locks the two back legs so they don't/can't pivot). That was my point when I questioned the DIY fabrication.

This is the proper assembly for the 2-tier stand, as seen from the side:

http://www.svengolly.com/img/QuikLokTwoTier-SideViewCloseup-small.jpg

bhodaway - The WS-550 by itself folds up nicely, albeit into a T-shaped package. The upper tier is another story. You may have noticed from the pic above that there are 5 knobs per side, 10 total, you have to tighten to assemble the 2nd tier from scratch. That's why I strongly suggested marking it once you've figured out the best positions and also suggest not disassembling the upper tier if you have the space in your vehicle. When I transport the stand with the second tier I take off the bar with the upper tier attached and fold the arms as flat as I can. Considering how well the base collapses for transport I wish they'd figured out a more graceful solution for the upper tier, which is fiddly and awkward at best. The upside is that once you've tightened up the knobs it's rock solid and extremely flexible in terms of board placement.

I usually sit when I play and have never noticed any wobble or instability. With the second tier on stability is improved by spreading the legs near you as wide as you can. (insert innuendo here!). In fact I see no reason why the WS-550 shouldn't be as stable as any other table. It's just a matter of setting the legs properly. However I defer to those that have actually tried it.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Sven, any possible pics of how you transport the stand? It looks like you probably don't take off the second tier for transport.

Absolutely, the 2nd tier has to come off for transport. The base folds into the T shape that is shown on the QuikLok site; for the 2nd tier, I simply unscrew the tier from the legs using the 4 threaded knobs (2 on each side).

http://www.svengolly.com/img/WS550_2ndTier2.jpg

(I went downstairs and grabbed the piece out of the trunk and put it up against the pillar in my underground parking garage, and took a pic with my iPhone. ;) ).

I lower the tier arms using the angle adjustment. The pictured piece goes into the trunk of my Accord first, closest to the back of the back seats, then everything else goes in afterwards. Piece of cake. :thu:

I'm nearing the conclusion that I will have to custom build a 2-tier stand and it wont be collapsible.

A stand that is completely rigid, 2-tier, knee knock free, dimensionally to my needs AND collapsible seems to be unavailable from any manufactured stand I've seen.

Most stands are too high for me. Im a sitter, and with some of my stands, the lowest setting is a tad too high.

I'll show you all when Im done.

If none of these work for you, you might want to check out the Standtastics. The stage footprint is a little bit deeper than most, but they are rock solid, very adjustable, and nothing in front of your knees. I ultimately gave mine up because I can't afford that much stage real estate, but I loved it.

http://www.lmproducts.com/indexStandtastic.cfm

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

If none of these work for you, you might want to check out the Standtastics. The stage footprint is a little bit deeper than most, but they are rock solid, very adjustable, and nothing in front of your knees.

+100000

This is the stand I use for my full gigging rig on festivals and tours.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

make your own
http://myface.com/file/pic/gallery/46191_view.jpg

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

I agree the Standtastic is about the closest that exists for a dual tier stand, except for two details. Real estate as has been mentioned. The second is the lack of tilt adjustment on the upper tier. As I recall when I had one there are only two possible settings, 90 and ~20 degrees lower (that's a guess).

A standtastic with a smaller footprint front to back and a better 2nd tier tilt would do it for me.

I ordered mine from Musicians Friend I think.

Pete

"all generalizations are false" ~Mark Twain

Kurzweil K2000, ME-1 and (2)PC3, Casio PX-350 AND PX-360, EV sXa 360

Where did you pick yours up?

eBay

You've got shop though because they don't show up that often. And I've never had any luck at finding any of the accessories for it on eBay either.

As I recall when I had one there are only two possible settings, 90 and ~20 degrees lower (that's a guess).

No, there's 3 angle settings for any tier: 90, 67, 45 about.

CLONK

I agree thought that a little less real estate would be nice.

What I love about it is it's the only 2 tier stand I've found that combines functionality with portability. Tons of leg room and space for pedals. Looks great on stage. Once you've adjusted your tier heights, they ALWAYS stay in place. If you want to re-configure you have to pull out your allen wrench. Folds up and tears down fairly quickly and comes with a gig bag for transport. Folded up and in the gig bag the stand is about as large and heavy as one folded up speaker stand.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Stan, the QuikLok 2nd tier attaches to a cross-brace that serves to make the stand even more stable than it is on its own (it basically locks the two back legs so they don't/can't pivot). That was my point when I questioned the DIY fabrication.

I see what you mean. However in attempt to save the effort, I also fabricated some braces for the back legs under the second tier. That kind of defeated the purpose of quick set up. It did help on the stability a bit, but most of the wobble was coming from the front legs which I couldn't brace easily. The 1 st tier was supporting my Yamaha S90 so the stability from the braces I added across the back legs didn't help much for the front legs carrying most of the weight. FWIW, I purchased a Z72 2nd tier included and aside from it being a bit heavy am quite happy with it. My two main objectives were quick set up and stability. That does both quite well. Thanks for the input!

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Oh, but there is an obvious problem. Where do you put your accordeon?

Don't take me serious, I'm just playing.

------------------------------------------------------------

Gear: Hammond XK5-system, Nord Stage3 Compact, Crumar Seven, Rhodes Mk2; Hammond M44

Thanks! The stand is very sturdy and the footprint good, with only the second tier having to be pushed back off the SV-1 which makes it a bit deeper. I'm so pleased the SV-1 goes on top of the KeyB - I wasn't expecting it, but the rubber feet just sit on.

And yes, the great thing is the width underneath. I'd have to measure but Im pretty confident you could get a 25 note pedalboard under there. But I'd have to make do with my PK-5 so I can fit two expressions in and sustain pedal under there!

Just bought a Zoom Q3 so hopefully I can get some videos up. Nice handheld video recorder with the emphasis on the audio.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2822/19950281849476119721171.jpg

Got my WS-550 and second tier, works a treat! Got the SV-1 on top of the KeyB and the CME with Plugiator on the second tier.

Just out of curiosity: are you still in comfortable position while playing that thing uspstairs? I bet Danny DeVito would give us one hell of a STAND UP show playing that rig.

Don't take me serious, I'm just playing.

------------------------------------------------------------

Gear: Hammond XK5-system, Nord Stage3 Compact, Crumar Seven, Rhodes Mk2; Hammond M44

Lol, Well I always have to sit to play the organ, and stand to reach comfortably the CME. Actually most of the time it's the Rhodes and synth sounds that go together. Organ is quite hand devoting so I don't tend to play anything with it. We'll see!

I pulled the trigger on the WS-550, plus the bracing bar and second tier (which are not all that easy to find btw). I'll use it for jazz gigs when I sit. I think I'll hold onto my Spider for rock gigs when I'm standing until I can test the WS's stability at that height (plus the guys in the rock band like how the Spider looks on stage). The stand will be here Friday. Thanks for all the info guys!

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

I'm nearing the conclusion that I will have to custom build a 2-tier stand and it wont be collapsible.

A stand that is completely rigid, 2-tier, knee knock free, dimensionally to my needs AND collapsible seems to be unavailable from any manufactured stand I've seen.

Most stands are too high for me. Im a sitter, and with some of my stands, the lowest setting is a tad too high.

I'll show you all when Im done.

Check out the QuikLok Z-71 w/ 2nd tier.....it is VERY solid, even in the standing position, low enough for a sitter (unless you are very short), quite deep on the lower level, collapsible.....only caveat would be the pedal room.

Archived