Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard stand for deep boards

Gary75

Ok, I have a Quiklok M-91 at the moment, it's a sturdy bit of kit but the actual depth of the bars the organ sits on is quite small really and there's a lot of overhang. I want to stack another board on top but if I use the M-92 extensions it's going to be a no go in it's current format. I'd have to extend the arms that plug into the M-91 so the organ will be central on the stand.

So, is there any stands that are good for really deep keyboards/organs and have 2nd tier options? Failing that I'll have to get my old man to fabricate something.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wasn't Sven. It was his friend, Google.

:D:wave:

That's a great stand though. I just got one recently, and not only does it work well, it looks great too. Several people who complimented me on my "new setup" since I got it.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

I may look into one of those as well.

Grazie.

Dan, you've seen that stand in action, actually; it was the one I used when I opened up for the Scorpions in Montreal. :thu:

Here's the link to the thread from Oct'07 with the close-up pics of my WS-550 after setup without boards on and with: clonk here.

If since done even more tweaking of component locations so that my current setup (Kurzweil PC3 on bottom, Yamaha Motif ES7 or Roland VK8 on top) is even more ergonomic in terms of board spacing/angle. :thu:

The WS-550 with the 2nd tier isn't very expensive actually. I paid around $130CDN all-in for mine. The upper tier is very adjustable as far as tilt, height and depth are concerned. However with the bar and all the knobs the upper arms can be fiddly to adjust during setup. I suggest marking it with nail polish or some such once you have set the way you like it.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I use a K&M Spider stand for a two keyboard set-up (Nord Electro 61 on top, Yamaha S70XS on the bottom). It works well for standing, but not for sitting. The WS-550 looks like a nice solution. Can it be extended to accommodate standing as well. That way I'd have one stand that does it all.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

The WS-550 looks like a nice solution. Can it be extended to accommodate standing as well. That way I'd have one stand that does it all.

Yes. If you click on the link I posted above, the pics I took of my rig were for me standing.

Of course, if you're 6'4", it might not be high enough for you, but for the average person I'm sure it would be fine. :)

The WS-550 with the 2nd tier isn't very expensive actually.

I'm guessing the U.K. pricing for QuikLok is different that for us Canucks. :thu:

Good point :-) I just checked a local store's website and the base stand is listed at $90 and the upper tier parts at $150. I bought mine in October '08 and, while I'm sure the price has gone up, that still seems high to me.

Another caveat: There's a lookalike stand by Apex; avoid it! It's crap, the parts are not interchangeable with the QuickLok and it even looks wobbly in their own promo pic!

http://www.apexelectronics.com/images/products/accessories/iks-8.jpg

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

QuikLok WS-550:

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/files/WS-550-demo.jpg

For deeper boards, simply adjust the 'front' legs (from the player's perspective) so they support more depth.

True looks great in the pic. I bought a WS-550 and had a 2nd tier fabricated. I quickly retired the whole thing due to it's instability. Mostly on the bottom tier which was carrying my Yammie S90 (45lbs). Too much side to side motion because the legs have no bracing like on a Z stand or the dreaded X stands.

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

True looks great in the pic. I bought a WS-550 and had a 2nd tier fabricated. I quickly retired the whole thing due to it's instability. Mostly on the bottom tier which was carrying my Yammie S90 (45lbs). Too much side to side motion because the legs have no bracing like on a Z stand or the dreaded X stands.

Might have had something to do with the fabrication of the 2nd tier? My WS has absolutely no side-to-side motion.

Now, the Apex version that MonksDream mentions above has a TON of wiggle; I have one of those as a kick-around here at home as well, and it's atrocious.

But hey, as with most things, YMMV. :thu:

I'm nearing the conclusion that I will have to custom build a 2-tier stand and it wont be collapsible.

A stand that is completely rigid, 2-tier, knee knock free, dimensionally to my needs AND collapsible seems to be unavailable from any manufactured stand I've seen.

Most stands are too high for me. Im a sitter, and with some of my stands, the lowest setting is a tad too high.

I'll show you all when Im done.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Might have had something to do with the fabrication of the 2nd tier? My WS has absolutely no side-to-side motion.

I recently used this stand at a rehearsal space that had one, and I also experienced major instability issues using my PC3x. I had been looking at that stand but after trying it, forget about it.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

I recently used this stand at a rehearsal space that had one, and I also experienced major instability issues using my PC3x. I had been looking at that stand but after trying it, forget about it.

Seriously? You're basing your opinion on a stand at a rehearsal space? :rolleyes:

QuikLok WS-550:

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/files/WS-550-demo.jpg

For deeper boards, simply adjust the 'front' legs (from the player's perspective) so they support more depth.

The only thing is, with the legs extended to standing height, like shown, the stability is complete crap.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Oof, forget £150, it's 200 in all. There's a 14 day return. I need it as it's the only stand that can hold my KeyB organ and have a second tier option. Seriously going to have to sell my M-91 and Deltex stands. Should get it next week.

[seriously? You're basing your opinion on a stand at a rehearsal space? :rolleyes:

Uhh....yeah!

First of all, the thing was in mint condition, not a scratch on it.

Secondly, this wasn't a commercial rehearsal space, it was a drummer's which he shares with a few other musicians, one of which is a keyboardist. So it wasn't as if the thing had been used and abused by all kinds of wannabes. It actually belonged to a pro.

After setting it up and seeing how unstable it was I thought it might have been a knock off by some shit brand like Apex or something. But no, it had the Quik-Lok sitcker on one of the legs.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

That was exactly the question I was going to ask- without any bracing on the legs, does it wobble. Seems like more than one person agree it does. Otherwise it's a nice looking stand.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

The only thing is, with the legs extended to standing height, like shown, the stability is complete crap.

+100! And I doubt it had anything to do with the fabricated 2nd tier as another poster suggested. It was a stationary piece (non adjustable)added at the right height (8" above first tier) for the 2nd board. I don't have a picture, but imagine two letters: TT, where the base of the letters is attached to tier 1 with screws from underneath.

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Archived