Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

That board is FIERCE!!!

SteeVtheRipper

So as a keyboard player I often have guitarist envy. They're OH SO cool up there on stage with their custom axes in all shapes and colors and finishes... SPARKLES!!! SWIRLS!!!! CHROME!!! WOOD!!! SEX!!!! I feel like us poor keyboard players get the shit end of the stick. Our instruments, for the sake of mass production and utility, all look the same. Unless you're one of the lucky few to have a REAL instrument such as a Rhodes, Hammond, Piano etc, you're stuck in DREARY DP land. Sure there are attempts at cool...Nord with their snappy red boards, the clonewheels with their Hammond-esque stylings, the Korg SV-1. But if you and your buddy get an SV-1 it will be identical. So it got me wondering, has anyone customized their boards? Given their dull DP's a facelift? I'd even like to see custom real instruments (b3, mk1, etc.) Now I know customizing something like a Korg M3 would be rather difficult and rather scary because that's a pretty fancy board and messing it up would be a catastrophe. But something like a CP300 is definitely doable.

So post your pictures here. The more pictures the better, meaning if you have a series of photos as you went through the process that would be great. Also If you have customized your board share how you did it so others can learn how to show a little love to an object which for many of us is more like a friend.

I personally, one day when I get my XK3c, want to glam it up a bit. Maybe even make a custom housing for it if I am feeling ambitious. At least give her a mean paint job.

1974 Rhodes, CP70B, Polivoks, Dominion 1, Behringer D, Mother 32, DFAM, MS20 Mini, Folktek Mescaline, Nord Lead 2x, KArp Odyssey, Jv1080, Digitakt, Hydrasynth,

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks,

Took it completely apart. Masked the control panel so I could still see what each knob did. Used some stencils and other masks and airbrushed it to death. It really looks 3D in person. Then unmasked and tinted the control panel area to look a little distressed but still see the labels. Then Polish, buff, polish, buff, polish, buff.... oh wait, I still polish it from time to time.

...and, because someone is going to ask about the thread that pops up here every year or so, because someone wants to custom paint their gear, I present the link to the Forat custom painting service. Literally hundreds of examples of custom paint jobs; mostly on Akai MPC series gear, but there are dozens of synth examples on the page, too... scroll down.

CLONK HERE

I must say, cool stuff.

Side note on the lovely picture of Jennifer... would not be pleased if a shot like that, of my wife, was on a web-site....but since she's not my wife, giant thumbs up!! :)

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

Golly Sven what is that car? Is that an instrument? Or is it just some kind of prop? Thats cool. Is it yours?

...and, because someone is going to ask about the thread that pops up here every year or so

Aw Shucks, here I was thinking I came up with a cool thread idea that could get people involved and interactive and give them an opportunity to gloat about their gear in a way more befitting it than the cliche list of things they own in their signature, and it turns out that I'm "THAT GUY" who posted the yearly customize your gear thread. haha

;-) I'm just kiddin. There's some cool stuff on there. Madonna's black phantom is sexy.

1974 Rhodes, CP70B, Polivoks, Dominion 1, Behringer D, Mother 32, DFAM, MS20 Mini, Folktek Mescaline, Nord Lead 2x, KArp Odyssey, Jv1080, Digitakt, Hydrasynth,

Golly Sven what is that car? Is that an instrument? Or is it just some kind of prop? Thats cool. Is it yours?

Please tell me you're joking... ;)

That's the infamous Paul Revere & The Raiders. The front end of the car contains his keyboard, so it looks (to the audience) like he's driving while he's playing.

...or some such thing.

Frankly I never got it... but hey, if it works for him and his audience... ...I'll still make fun of it. ;):evil:

Aw Shucks, here I was thinking I came up with a cool thread idea that could get people involved and interactive and give them an opportunity to gloat about their gear in a way more befitting it than the cliche list of things they own in their signature, and it turns out that I'm "THAT GUY" who posted the yearly customize your gear thread. haha

;-) I'm just kiddin. There's some cool stuff on there. Madonna's black phantom is sexy.

Actually, I was referring to some of the forum regulars who would remember that thread, and ask "I can't find that thread with the painted MPCs, because the search engine on this forum sucks... does anyone remember where that was?" ;):cool:

One of the original threads is here, and was initially about custom paint jobs on keyboard stands (the USS Apex, to be specific). Frankly that makes more sense to me than painting the synth, given that the audience only sees about 1/8th or less of the real estate of your keyboard in most situations.

The car appears to be a Nash Metropolitan. My ex had one for a while in the 1960's. Tiny little car about the size of a VW bug, WAY smaller than all the American barges that were driving around.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Please tell me you're joking... ;)

That's the infamous Paul Revere & The Raiders. The front end of the car contains his keyboard, so it looks (to the audience) like he's driving while he's playing.

...or some such thing.

Frankly I never got it... but hey, if it works for him and his audience... ...I'll still make fun of it. ;):evil:

Huh..I thought at first glance it was Benny Hill..... :)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Well, I have built lots of custom synths and organs and organ controllers over the years, but have bored everybody with my repeated postings of the same pics over and over...

So maybe just this one...

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/images/case/sod_biggest.jpg

Moe

---

I have a custom red rhodes. I did the retolexing myself 2 years ago.

The picture doesn't do justice to the job done though, it looks as if it was more pink than red. It's not like that in person.

Red rhodes

The picture was taken 2 years ago, right after I assembled it for the first time after retolexing. There are still leftover pieces of junk scattered over the floor :D

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

no need to customize, just ACCESSORIZE!

http://www.elzeonline.com/Pics/stratford.jpg

That's a Triton behind the swatch. When my parts need to be really tight, I play them on the bottom board with Swiss precision :thu:

BTW - I have multiple giant swatches in different colors, lately, I've been using this one .

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Oh. My. God. Dan! Does that have some kind of 80s significance that I'm unaware of?

Absolutely. Swatch Watches were HUGE in the 80s, and every one I have is of 80s vintage.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I gave up my pride long ago when I shaved my head and started wearing wigs on weekends. At my age, if a big plastic watch makes the young gals cream, who am I to question?

Dan

Dan,

I'm curious, where do you get giant swatches? :confused:

Regards,

Joe

I just keep an eye out on facebook and ebay. They are actually called Swatch Maxi's. Some are collectable and very expensive. I try to find the one's that have the right look but aren't ridiculously high priced. I've gotten them in the $90 to $150 range, but I've seen people asking $350 and higher for some. I've also gotten some bits and pieces - like one without the band from Athens, Greece for $15 (the $35 shipping was more than the watch).

Dan

Archived