Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NHL 2009-2010 Thread

Bridog6996

I think I've probably posted this same question before, but there's a thread for every other major sport (NFL, NBA, MLB), but not for man's greatest achievement: ice hockey.

I know that hockey's popularity is somewhat low compared to other sports (which frankly boggles my mind), but are there other fans here? Should we start an official thread?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bridog:

I'm a relatively recent hockey convert, if that counts. followed professional football (Redskins), college basketball (Maryland Terps), and baseball (St. Louis Cardinals) for most of my life, and I'm a fairly religious fan of at least the first two teams (more a fair weather Cardinals fan).

That said, I have always loved watching hockey live. In fact, I think it's the greatest live sport there is. Period.

Since my Redskins have sucked eggs lately, I've been increasingly interested in hockey, and I've pretty jumped on the Capitals bandwagon in a BIG way the last couple of years. This year, I actually bought a mini season-ticket plan for the Caps, which I've never done for any team before, and I couldn't be happier. The fan experience at Caps games is simply top notch, and my whole family has gotten way into it. In fact, I would now describe my younger son as a full-on hockey fanatic.

Just went to the game tonight, in fact, and watched the Caps spank the Maple Leafs 6-1. Good times! :thu:

Noah

college basketball (Maryland Terps)
Wooo! Go Terps!!!!

Since my Redskins have sucked eggs lately
A guy I went to Maryland with who has been an absolute Redskins fanatic since then just gave up and switched allegiance to the Ravens this season. He seems happy about it.

Sorry for the slight OT. Um, I went to a couple of Islander games as a kid. I had trouble telling what was going on from the cheap seats, as that little puck can be hard to see.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

college basketball (Maryland Terps

If you ever meet Gary Williams, UConn fans thank him for Rudy Gay and now Roscoe Smith. Isn't there a movement afoot to fire him after 3 NITS in four years and losing all Maryland's best recruits?

As the Washington Post put it: "Maryland has regressed faster than any national champion in the past 18 years, according to NCAA records"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/12/AR2009021202299.html

I'd love to see UConn and the Terps in an ongoing home and away series but the coaches hate each other. Reporting UConn to the NCAA and ESPN for imaginary violations didn't go over too well.

Hockey and Hartford. Carolina has our hockey team and isn't giving it back any time soon. CT's a strange state. Women's basketball, both UConn and the WNBA, outdraw AHL hockey or the NHL Whalers when they were in town and at higher ticket prices than hockey and most men's programs.

It's big enough that ESPN will do their College Game Day with Dickie V and Digger from UConn tomorrow and feature a women's team for the first time.

The Whalers? The only way they got that kind of press is when the roof caved in at the Hartford Civic Center or a renegade zamboni accident.

I watch the Bruins but that's only a depressing reminder of their glory years as 1972 was the last Stanley Cup and 90 the last loss in the Finals.

I'm a big hockey fan ... if I'm not playing music - I'm playing hockey! I just got off the ice a couple of hours ago. Here's a snapshot of my sons and I after a game last year - and my one of my adult league teams celebrating winning the league championship.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj251/spacenorman/th_PICT0218.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj251/spacenorman/th_Ironfeet.jpg

The SpaceNorman :freak:

Certainly can't blame you for being a Caps fan. Alex Ovechkin is definitely one of the more exciting players in the game right now. I also have love for the Caps because my hometown team, the Portland Pirates of the AHL, were a Caps affiliate when the team arrived in Portland. Growing up, I got to see some great players during that time that went on to become top guys in the NHL. Their first year, in which they won the Calder Cup, the Pirates' had Byron Dafoe and Olaf Kolzig splitting time as goalies. In 2008, they switched affiliation to the Sabres.

My main teams are the Bruins for NHL and the Maine Black Bears for college.

college basketball (Maryland Terps

If you ever meet Gary Williams, UConn fans thank him for Rudy Gay and now Roscoe Smith. Isn't there a movement afoot to fire him after 3 NITS in four years and losing all Maryland's best recruits?

As the Washington Post put it: "Maryland has regressed faster than any national champion in the past 18 years, according to NCAA records"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/12/AR2009021202299.html

I'd love to see UConn and the Terps in an ongoing home and away series but the coaches hate each other. Reporting UConn to the NCAA and ESPN for imaginary violations didn't go over too well.

I've heard odd stories about Gary over the years from some with close ties to the athletic department, but you never know what to believe.

The Post has long been known to be quite harsh on Maryland athletics.

I didn't read all that article this time, but if it's the one I think it is, doesn't it say that Gary won't recruit unless it's totally up-and-up. Anything else is wrong and I have no problem with that.

P.S. I don't know why people don't mention the ACC championship Maryland won a couple of years after they won the NCAA trophy. In some circles, that was a bigger win

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Go Caps! Ovey got 5 points last night. I was raised in Chicago area, so the BlackHawks were the team; lived in No.Virgina for a long time so became a Caps fan....glad they don't suck anymore.

My son and his wife have access to a box from her business, so they go to a lot of games. I get up there once in a while also.

P.S. Surely, there's a Canadian or two on this Forum that follow puck. Sven?

Yep, I'm a devout hockey fan, but this thread demonstrates the futility of trying to get an 'official' thread on this forum. Out of the 11 responses so far to this thread, 5 of them are about College Football or Basketball. :freak:

Besides, as a longtime fan/supporter of the Maple Leafs, I take enough abuse elsewhere without adding to it here. ;):deadhorse:

Hockey is the reason Canadian couples prefer doggie fashion -- so they can both watch the game.

But my Canadian friends have told me it can be confusing if their spouse yells out an anguished "no no no" in the middle of everything if the wrong team puts the puck in the net.

Silver - U.S.A. with Thomas

Considering how Ryan Miller is playing right now, I think he'll be starting over Thomas. Team USA will have their work cut out for them though. I personally don't think they'll make the medal round. I foresee Russia and Canada battling for gold/silver, and either Sweden or Czech Republic taking the bronze.

Silver - U.S.A. with Thomas

Considering how Ryan Miller is playing right now, I think he'll be starting over Thomas. Team USA will have their work cut out for them though. I personally don't think they'll make the medal round. I foresee Russia and Canada battling for gold/silver, and either Sweden or Czech Republic taking the bronze.

That's true, about Miler. Well, count Czech Republic out. We'll se how it is going to unfold.

Cheers,

Ed

I am a hockey fan. I usually enjoy watching Olympic hockey since the larger rinks encourage more (and better) passing, and this makes for a faster and more exciting game.

However, with the tournament in Vancouver, the rink will still be NHL size this time. But most players will be used to it with their NHL experince, so it won't trouble european teams like it sometimes does in the lower levels.

Miller is definitely starting for the US. Brodeur for Canada with Luongo backing and Fleury upstairs. Luongo might be the hometown boy, but he sometimes sturggles with inconsistency. Brodeur is undoubtedly one of the best goalies to ever play the game. But, if he stumbles for some reason, there's no worries about Roberto picking up the slack.

I haven't really finalised my predictions, but I'm thinking Canada, Russia and Sweden will be up there. The US has a very good team, much better than in other years. The Czech Republic is aging, not sure what will happen there.

For Canada, though, this will be the most pressure any of these players will ever face. I think it was Jennifer Hedger from TSN who said "This team will be playing against the best teams with the best players in the world in front of sold-out crowds every single game, and if they win the gold, they will have merely met expectations."

I am a hockey fan. I usually enjoy watching Olympic hockey since the larger rinks encourage more (and better) passing, and this makes for a faster and more exciting game.

However, with the tournament in Vancouver, the rink will still be NHL size this time. But most players will be used to it with their NHL experince, so it won't trouble european teams like it sometimes does in the lower levels.

Miller is definitely starting for the US. Brodeur for Canada with Luongo backing and Fleury upstairs. Luongo might be the hometown boy, but he sometimes sturggles with inconsistency. Brodeur is undoubtedly one of the best goalies to ever play the game. But, if he stumbles for some reason, there's no worries about Roberto picking up the slack.

I haven't really finalised my predictions, but I'm thinking Canada, Russia and Sweden will be up there. The US has a very good team, much better than in other years. The Czech Republic is aging, not sure what will happen there.

For Canada, though, this will be the most pressure any of these players will ever face. I think it was Jennifer Hedger from TSN who said "This team will be playing against the best teams with the best players in the world in front of sold-out crowds every single game, and if they win the gold, they will have merely met expectations."

This answer from Mr. MAJUSCULE and few other posters, answer original question. Yes, there are hockey fans here!! Since NFL will be over before Feb 15th, and NBA playoff talks won't heat up before March 1st, let's get this discussion and eternal rivalries going!!!

Cheers,

Ed

P.S. Well, when it comes to DP discussions you guys are way too good and way too informative. You answer all my questions before I get a chance to ask them. All what I can do is talk about hockey.

By the way, anyone care to comment on some of the choices fo players?

Peter Forsberg is playing for Sweden! He failed his comeback to the NHL... again. But he's been playing in Sweden and seems to be healthy enough to be annointed a valuable place on the team.

Mike Green, the top point-getting defenceman in the NHL, didn't make the canadian team. Drew Doughty did. It seems Green takes too many offensive risks for the canadian staff to have enough confidence in him. We'll see how that plays out, but it's definetly the most scrutinized choice.

I can't seem to access the CTV Olympics site right now, so I'll have to leave it at that. Once I can look over the rosters again, I'll get back to you guys with some more speculation.

All right! Let's start the run-down! (I'll try and keep it short.)

Team Canada:

Forwards:

Without question, some of the strongest in the competition. Goal scoring, physicality, speed, smarts, they've got it all. Crosby, Thornton, Heatly and Iginla will be asked to put up big points, but everyone there can contribute.

Defencemen:

Mix of youth and experience. Scott Niedermayer is the team captain, and Chris Pronger and Dan Boyle also have plenty of experience. This a defensive corps that is very able at moving the puck. However, the big questions remain:

-Can the young guns deal with the pressure?

-Should Mike Green have taken Drew Doughty's place?

Goalies:

As I said in a previous post, it'll be Brodeur starting, Luongo backing him up and Fleury upstairs in case of injury. Brodeur is now a certifiable legend and one of the best goaltenders to ever step on the ice. But is he young enough?

I'd say that Canada's own worst enemy is themselves and their own fans. Because if something goes wrong, they better be able to get back up, and fast.

Team Sweden:

Forwards:

Extremely creative. Oh boy. They might eventually come up a little in the corners, but they could stickhandle around anyone. If Forsberg is healthy and hot, he won't be stopped. Henrik Sedin is having a career year in Vancouver, even with Daniel injured for a good portion of the year. Alfredsson, Zetterberg and Holmtrom are all experienced NHL stars.

Defencemen:

Might just be the weakest link. Lidstrom is machine, no doubt about that. I'm guessing Niklas Kronwall, Douglas Murray and Mattias Ohlund will be playing big minutes also, but I'm not convinced about their effectiveness.

Goalies:

Henrik Lundqvist is fantastic. He really is. Jonas Gustavsson a.k.a. "The Monster", who was, until this year, the best goalie outside of the NHL, will back him up, with Stefan Liv upstairs.

A serious medal contender if the forwards hit their stride and Lundqvist is hot.

Team Russia:

Forwards:

Ovechkin, Malkin, Semin, Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, etc. Need I say more? Firepower is the definite strength of this team.

Defencemen:

Like Sweden, this might be the weakest link. Gonchar and Markov are very experienced and can play just as well in all three zones. Volchenkov is tough as nails and will hit anyone or block any shot. He is great on the penalty-kill. Can't say much for the rest of them, although several players are based in Russia due to failings betweenthe NHL and the Russian Ice Hockey Federation. We'll see how they do.

Goalies:

Strong as well, but I don't know if there is a definite starter here. I'm leaning towards Nabokov, but Bryzgalov or Varlamov could easily take it with strong pre-tournament play.

It's all about outscoring the opposition for Russia. They have a decent backend, but nothing to bet money on, whereas anyone in their right mind would easily give them an average of 4+ goals over the tournament.

Dark Horses: (Which I may also profile a little later on, depending on how I feel.)

USA, Finland, Czech Republic

And, in case you didn't know, the women's competition is two horse race between Canada and the US. We,ve won the last few games, so I think we're taking it to you in front of the hometown crowd.

Archived