Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Legendary Gospel Players and albums

hennessey

As the subject says I'm looking for some legendary gospel pianos players and albums I can get into. I'm looking to add more of that sound to a group I'm with. I'm a more traditional jazz guy and just don't have any knowledge of this genre.

Any other resources would be good to. I found a website a while ago describing the "walk on up" progression, but cannot find it now. You Tube stuff is really basic ("This is how you form an Eb chord, etc.).

Thanks for any info.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMO, legendary Gospel players begin and end with Thomas A. Whitfield. Anything with his name on it will suffice. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Gospel Music Comes in various styles even at the "traditional" level.

When I think of traditional old school black gospel music. I would recommend Searching Youtube for the following:

Rev James Cleveland

Walter Hawkins

Jeffrey Lavalley

Richard Smallwood

DR Mattie Moss Clark

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

Check out the forums (and there are various people with lessons, DVDs, etc) on this link:

http://www.learngospelmusic.com/

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Well, I love Gospel and Gospel influenced music - Im just not up to speed on who the great players and albums are. But I did get to check out Sundra Manning live at the NAMM show jamming on the New NORD Como Orgam C2 - She is a monster organ player and it got me inspired to go practice some more Gospel changes and licks.

I love Jazz organ Like Jimmy Smith and Joey DeFrancesco - but Gospel is whole different world to conquer.

Marc

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke.

- My original music projects: http://www.myspace.com/marcpaley

IMO, legendary Gospel players begin and end with Thomas A. Whitfield. Anything with his name on it will suffice. :thu::cool:

I second that motion!!!!! :thu: :thu:

Yamaha MODX8, Korg Kronos 2 61, Hammond B3, Novation 61SL MKII, Impulse 61, Roland D-550, Proteus 2000, etc......to name a few.

Cyrus Chestnut plays some beautiful religious pieces on a traditional solo acoustic piano on his album "Blessed Quietness: A Collection of Hymns, Spirituals and Carols". A piano player friend of mine and I used his version of "Amazing Grace" as the basis for our sax-piano duet version we played in church as the anthem one Sunday. (sax is my main instrument, not piano).

Archived