Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Musical box

Eric Jx

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome... this might make up for having waited until AFTER the "costume phase" to see Genesis (well, I was young after all, and broke, and without transport).

My brother said there's a troupe in Boston that is doing a lot of "rock opera" presentations of concept albums from the 70's. I wonder if they have planned one yet for "Nursery Cryme"?

Is The Musical Box touring or just a "local"/"regional" tribute band?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

They're from Canada, and really REALLY good. Unfortunately, they toured Trick last year, and while it was still good, it was disappointing after the Selling England By The Pound tour. I'll wait for the next one.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Is The Musical Box touring or just a "local"/"regional" tribute band?

The Musical Box is the tribute of all tributes!

I've seen the Selling England By The Pound and the Foxtrot shows, both were fantastic. There's moments during the show that I had to stop and remind myself that I wasn't actually watching Genesis perform. They're really that good.

They're from Montreal, and I know the keyboard player and the Mike Rutherford guy personally. They are not a regional act. This is an international touring band that have been around for over 15 years. They've performed for and with original members of Genesis. Peter Gabriel gave them exclusive rights to the live performances of Lamb Lies Down, and I think Tony Banks gave them access to the original master tracks of their recordings in order to hear exactly what all the parts were.

If you're a Genesis fan, then you MUST go see them if you can. It's an unbelievable show. Every detail is painstakingly recreated from the music, the vintage gear, the costumes, the staging, lighting, even what Peter Gabriel would say to the audience in between songs. It's like travelling back in time and actually seeing what a Genesis concert was like.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on where you stand on the Gabriel vs. Collins debate) I think they've moved on from the Foxtrot, Selling England and Lamb Lies Down shows which they've toured with over the last 15 years. They're now doing Trick of The Tail. It's not the album being recreated but the tour, so you're still going to get Supper's Ready, Firth of Fifth etc, just the way it was performed with Collins as the front man.

I'm sure the show is still awesome, but seeing them do Musical Box, with old perverted man mask and all....pure magic!

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY97AOm0UjQ&feature=related

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

I saw them for the first time last year and I was blown away. It was the best concert I've been to in a very long time.

Last year it was the trick of the tail tour, so I'll be seeing the exact same set list again, but that's fine with me. I'd love to see an earlier tour (i.e. SEBTP, LAMB) but I'll take what I can.

With Phil Collins medical issues, the hopes of a genesis/gabriel reunion tour are dashed, so the musical box is the next best thing.

[if the Musical Box ever decided to recreate the invisible touch tour, I want no part of that. That's where I draw the line.

That tour was awesome! They did "Domino", The Cage, etc. Phil Collins sounded amazing on "Mama". HA HA! AAAAAAAAAAAH. :rawk:

I saw them do Selling England a few years ago, and they were incredible.

There were moments during the show where I actually had the odd tear, because stuff like Musical Box & Supper's Ready sounded so good.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I've seen them more than a few times - seen all of their shows except Trick.

Saw the Lamb show twice - it was that good....totally cool to see that whole presentation faithfully recreated. :thu:

Phil Collins even sat in with them once. :cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I have seen them a couple of times and echo all posted - killer show - best part was during the Foxtrot show someone yelled out "Let the Drummer sing a song!"

I haven't seen any of the post Gabriel shows - not sure I would want to. The Costumes and sets are just so cool - and that Keyboard player rocks - and the Rutherford guy plays the Tarus bass pedals and they sound SO COOL!

....just as long as they never ever play "Misunderstanding".

C'mon, there's way more annoying material than that: We Cant Dance anyone?

When I saw Genesis on their "turn it on again" tour, they played "hold on to my heart" which caused half of the stadium to head to the men's room for a bathroom break.

I like everything Genesis ever did, and recently the self-named album with "Mama" finally got to me in a good way. I even like their debut album -- especially the longer version with the less overproduced demo versions.

Nevertheless, it is the theatrical Peter Gabriel eta that I most wish I had seen live. I saw the Invisible Touch tour and everyone was on their game. Phil doesn't have as passionate a voice as Peter, but it is a theatrical voice nonetheless, and I think he was always one of the more active writers during the "group credit" periods of the band.

I can see how The Musical Box would have gotten weary of doing the same thing. Marillion, not a cover band but inspired by early Genesis, eventually moved on as well, and even though the biggest change came after Fish left, Fish himself moved on.

I listened to Peter Gabriel's first few albums again recently and was surprised at how gradual his evolution was away from his Genesis days. At the time the contrast seemed greater than it does now. Funny how time puts perspective on these things.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

My introduction to Genesis was the Album Duke. From there I went forward through ABACAB to Genesis/Genesis. Then after digesting 3-sides live, I started working my way backwards. There was a time when "one for the vine" was the answer to the question "what is your favorite song?"

Invisible Touch came out when I was at the height of my Genesis fanaticism. I recall I was pretty disappointed. I can't say that there is nothing on the CD I didn't like, but my tastes were going in one direction, and the band was going in the exact opposite way. My genesis phase was over by the time "I can't dance" emerged. I do own it, and there are some nuggets on there that I liked, but it didn't remain in my cd rotation long. I don't own "calling all stations"

Nowadays, when I want to listen to Genesis, I find myself reaching for either SEBTP or Foxtrot.

Off topic:

NPR did a series of interviews with Steve Lillywhite that I found really interesting.

Here is the link to him talking about the making of Gabriel 3. There are also interviews about the Dave Matthews band, and U2.

Yeah there is.... but that song marked the "oh no, they've really done it" point for me. "Follow You, Follow Me" hinted & "Misunderstanding" confirmed. And a lot of crap followed (like "We can't dance", "Invisible Touch" et al) that probably secured their retirements.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

It's funny, I worked completely backwards with Genesis. We Can't Dance came out when I was in my very early teens, and so I liked the songs. If that would have been the debut album by an artist or group it would probably have been praised for its songwriting and playing, but because it has to exist in the shadow of such legendary music like Selling England and Lamb Lies Down, we all reject it as MOR rock.

From there, I got into Invisible Touch and the Genesis album (which I still love btw). It wasn't until my early twenties that I picked up Nursery Cryme, Forxtrot and Selling England.

Since then, I can't even listen to the later Collins stuff without my stomach turning.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Yeah there is.... but that song marked the "oh no, they've really done it" point for me. "Follow You, Follow Me" hinted & "Misunderstanding" confirmed.

Pretty much exactly the same for me.

The funny thing is that as I understand it, the recent band that made the hits is what Collins, Rutherford and Banks always wanted to be...not the prog band.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

The funny thing is that as I understand it, the recent band that made the hits is what Collins, Rutherford and Banks always wanted to be...not the prog band.

That's just... "sad" doesn't begin to describe it. "Oh boy, we finally suck! Our dreams have come true!" :freak:

Maybe we're misunderstanding [sorry]. Maybe their point was that they always wanted to be big hits and successful. A lot of people want to be #1 on the charts. They probably would have been happy with a song like Lamb doing it, but ended up getting there another way.

___

I must admit, there is that side of me that likes their pop stuff. I would rather listen to their pop songs than say, Rihanna. I also give them credit for "The Longs." Every Genesis album had the long songs with movements in them, even the much maligned Invisible Touch and We Can't Dance (the latter of which I must admit to have never bought nor heard). They even put the longs together as part of that live album.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I may be remembering this wrong, but....

I think I read that Tony Banks, in comparing the crowds at his solo shows to the crowds at shows by The Musical Box, once said, "I could make more money pretending to be me than actually being me." If true, that's just very funny.

We Can't Dance has some nice moments. That tour is the only one I saw, since I was too young to catch them on any other our (I was 14 when We Can't Dance came out). Genesis was and is my favorite band of all time.

That said, I don't know if I'd want to see someone re-create their shows. I mean, the videos linked in this thread were great... until the singer came in and then the fantasy is broken. Nobody can sound like PG or Collins.

I have the utmost respect for PG. He has never looked back and is still making extremely creative VIABLE music. UP is an incredible album and I already pre-ordered "Scratch My Back".

I may be remembering this wrong, but....

I think I read that Tony Banks, in comparing the crowds at his solo shows to the crowds at shows by The Musical Box, once said, "I could make more money pretending to be me than actually being me." If true, that's just very funny.

I think that was Steve Hackett. In fact, I think someone on this forum posted a link to that interview.

Archived