Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: A little adventure, and now I'm back

Billdar

I was a fairly active member of this forum until about 2 years ago. I stopped participating only because I was diagnosed with a very serious type of cancer.

Well, to make a long story short, after being hauled to the hospital 2 times by paramedics, 8 hospitalizations, 2 additional visits to the emergency room, near paralysis because of a collapsed vertebrae, two blood transfusions, weeks on my back unable to stand because of low blood pressure, months of wearing a plastic body brace, weeks of 24 hour in home care (Im divorced), relearning how to walk because of months of immobility, enjoying massively swollen lower legs caused by (thankfully!) temporarily inoperative lymph glands, 40 pounds of weight loss, relearning how to play the piano because of neuropathy in my hands, and most importantly, 2 stem cell transplants, the cancer is in remission, and though physically not quite the same, Im feeling GREAT, and Im ready to start gigging again!

Sorry for the long sentence!

I thank my doctors, medical science, and, believe it or not, my ex-wife for this small miracle. Ive learned much from this experience.

During this time I was a regular lurker here, and I have to thank everybody for the good will and fellowship that I was able to observe. Those uncomfortable days passed more quickly thanks to you. Truly, this is a unique forum. This is why Im back.

Ive never met any forum members, save possibly one (Musicale from Naperville, if you were at my bands first gig at Stonefire Restaurant, you are the guy I know), but I feel comfortable amongst yall. Heck, Im posting this before writing post Christmas emails to my family!

I hope to get to know the newer members, and Ill offer help to whomever needs it whenever I can (and ask for it too!).

Cheers!

Bill

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, what a story, thanks for coming back and sharing that with us Bill. Stories like your really make me appreciate the health and life that I have today. (Although give me time, I'll be back to bitching and moaning about a minor cough before you know it...) ;)

I can never stay away from this place for very long either, it truly is a unique community. Glad you are with us.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Billdar - kudos to you on prevailing through your struggle! Welcome back to the forum!

BTW - does your nickname indicate that you're from "France"? ;)

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Welcome back, glad you are recovered. I probably started posting about the time you stopped.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Bill - what to say after a story like this, except that we're all extremely glad to see you posting again, and thanks a lot for sharing your struggle with such an evil illness. I hope to see you become a regular contributor again.

Welcome back! I vaguely remember you from my early days here. Sorry for your reasons for leaving, but great to hear you're doing much better now.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Billdar, I'm very glad to hear the cancer is in remission.

Welcome back!

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Welcome back.... glad to hear the cancer is in remission. I will put you in my prayers for FULL recovery.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Bill, I also want to wish you all the best in a complete recovery. It is great to have you back. :thu:

As you probably know already, some things haven't changed around here. :laugh:

Still, KC is a very cool place to hang. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Thanks, everybody, for the welcome back and kind words!

Monksdream, no, my nickname doesn't mean I'm from France. Actually, I acquired that nickname because I sometimes become so involved in thought to the point that I'm somewhat oblivious to what's going on around me, a little "spacey", I guess. Remember the "Coneheads" on "Saturday Night Live" back in the seventies. They were a family from outerspace and one of them was named Bildar.

Thanks again, all!

Bill

Billdar - that's exactly what I was talking about! If you remember, when asked where they were from the Coneheads always said "France". ;)
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Archived