Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

audience behavior

Dave Horne

those in the audience who whistle, jeer, yell, scream ... and applaud.

So guess you wont be inviting these sort's of people over for afternoon tea anytime soon? :D

ps. remember... keep those pinky's raised everyone

He did put it in context: he was at a Classical Music concert, which of course does entail a different etiquette than a football game or a Motley Crue show.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
'

I think that, these days,a lot of audiences are more interested in drawing attention to themselves, (how wild/wacky am I ? ? ?)

rather than actually respecting & appreciating the performance in front of them.

Theres real validity to that observation. Last week, a friend invited me to a Cheap Trick show with comedian Frank Caliendo as the opener. It was at a 20,000 seater. And while Frank was doing his thing, this jerkoff behind me (we were about a 1/3rd of the arena back and off to the side) starts yelling quite loudly. Of course, Frank cant see him, but he can hear him, and finally he says I love it when Im being heckled in a place like this, because all I can hear is Aya ya ya ya blahblahblah, yaya ayayaya! (and makes a moron face while he does it, pretty funny). Said jerkoff responds at the top of his lungs but now Im part of your show bitch. :freak:

My friend and I turned around and let him know that his attendance at this show was optional; we could always get security. (He witnessed my security buddy come over and chat before the show started.) Thankfully that shut him upeither that or his wife now haranguing him did.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

those in the audience who whistle, jeer, yell, scream ... and applaud.

So guess you wont be inviting these sort's of people over for afternoon tea anytime soon? :D

ps. remember... keep those pinky's raised everyone

He did put it in context: he was at a Classical Music concert, which of course does entail a different etiquette than a football game or a Motley Crue show.

I get annoyed when watching a TV show with a live (or semi live) audience and hear yelling and whistling as the guest arrives on stage. It seems to be universal. By the way, the whistling I'm referring to is the kind where the volume level of that sound could be heard a city block away.

I'm accustomed to wearing ear plugs when listening to live music (though I really shouldn't have to); I shouldn't have to protect my hearing from the audience.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

If I'm paying $50 to see s concert I expect to get my money's worth.

I've been to too many concerts where my reserved seat was next to one or more patrons (not just girls) who ruin the show by yelling all night DURING the music.

OTOH I really enjoy classical music concerts where the audience DOES respect the music. The presence of ushers who enforce the rules helps too.

Clubs are different - you're not paying $50 to see a band. When I'm performing a club the biggest adrenalin rush is the audience providing positive feedback, whether it is yelling, dancing, throwing undies onstage, or getting goosed from behind (I had this happen!).

I'm a rock/pop musician. For the most part, I want my audience to be loud and raucous as possible. I've found, though, that you can really control the audience to a degree. At my album release party last Friday night, for example, they were whistling and singing along during the harder tunes, but for the softer numbers you could hear a pin drop until the end of the song.

In any case, nothing annoys me more than an overly reserved audience. I want to go throw a bucket of water on them to wake them the f#*% up. :)

I went to a concert last week at the Orlando House of Blues. Had a local band of celebrities open, then had Kate Voegele, Five for Fighting, and Third Eye Blind, all unplugged.

My wife and I were really looking forward to hearing these acts live. After the concert, we agreed that we would NEVER attend another concert there.

They drastically oversold the concert, so there was a lot of pushing and shoving even though you were in the same little spot all night. Then there were the idiots that were either talking on their phones, texting, or just plain talking loudly during the performances. Kate Voegele did what seemed to be a beautiful rendition of "Hallelujah", but the rude talkers were so loud I could barely hear the music.

The Orlando radio station that sponsored the concert has a morning show that has had the same people for the past 18 years, Scott and Erika. The local opening act had Scott playing rhythm guitar, and Erika acted as the MC. Their show features what they call the "Ticked Off Column" and the Monday after the concert, the first item was the rudeness of the patorns of the concert. Even the radio personalities where in disbelief at the lack of consideration.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

They drastically oversold the concert, so there was a lot of pushing and shoving even though you were in the same little spot all night. Then there were the idiots that were either talking on their phones, texting, or just plain talking loudly during the performances. Kate Voegele did what seemed to be a beautiful rendition of "Hallelujah", but the rude talkers were so loud I could barely hear the music.
I'm glad to see that it's not just Houston that has this problem.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2009/11/announcing_our_musical_turkey.php

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm a rock/pop musician. For the most part, I want my audience to be loud and raucous as possible. I've found, though, that you can really control the audience to a degree. At my album release party last Friday night, for example, they were whistling and singing along during the harder tunes, but for the softer numbers you could hear a pin drop until the end of the song.

In any case, nothing annoys me more than an overly reserved audience. I want to go throw a bucket of water on them to wake them the f#*% up. :)

So Jeff Klopmeyer is Zak Claxton ... or is Zak Claxton really Jeff Klopmeyer?

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I'm glad to see that it's not just Houston that has this problem.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2009/11/announcing_our_musical_turkey.php

Sounds like the crap we had to endure. At one point there were people that were going down the stairs along the side of the "dance floor". This one couple gets the the bottom of the stairs and STOPS, blocking everyone. And they were totally oblivious to anyone around them.

If I go to a concert, I prefer at the King Center in my home town of Melbourne FL. An intimate setting, not a bad seat in the house, ALL reserved seating, and well behaved audiences. I've seen B. B. King, Dr. John, Keb Mo, Charlie Musselwhite, The Neville Brothers, Kenny Loggins, Rent, Hairspray, Stomp, and even our own Sven Golly there. Worth every penny.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Playing a gig at the "classy" Fontaine Bleu we had an audience member come up and start dancing so hard to our music he fell down! We appreciated his enthusiasm despite the relatively sedate ambience of the venue. When I looked up from my keyboard to get a better look I saw it was my former piano teacher! Bless his heart! Audience behavior indeed!

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

I am Zak Claxton as Bob Zimmerman is Dylan, Gordon Sumner is Sting, Saul Hudson is Slash, and McKinley Morganfield was Muddy Waters. But I pretend to be Jeff Klopmeyer on music forums. Both of us like lively audiences, back on topic. :)

.....whether it is yelling, dancing, throwing undies onstage, or getting goosed from behind (I had this happen!).....

I had a similar experience at this rock club in Peoria, only this chick planted her lips on my ass. The good news was that she had red lipstick and I was wearing white pants.....which looked kind of cool.....but the bad news was that my girlfriend at that time washed all of our clothes. Fortunately, I found a 7-11 store at 3:00AM and purchased some "Shout" stain remover and removed it before I came home!

I would provide more details, but this is a family forum.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I am Zak Claxton as Bob Zimmerman is Dylan, Gordon Sumner is Sting, Saul Hudson is Slash, and McKinley Morganfield was Muddy Waters. But I pretend to be Jeff Klopmeyer on music forums. Both of us like lively audiences, back on topic. :)

Sorry to continue the hijack... but as many of you know, we use stage names. Our Guitar player is "Izzy Furreel". Now you have to understand, while he looks like a wild rock star on stage, personally, he's actually really quiet, reserved, conservative, fairly religious - doesn't drink, home schools his kids, etc. So it was particularly funny when a conversation came up about groupies when he chimed in, "I'm married, but Izzy's single". Of course, he'd never cheat - but that statement coming from him (who rarely even speaks) had us ROTFL.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I was at a classical concert yesterday (a Bach cantata) and folks just applauded, no whistling, no yelling, no screaming, just applause.

I would love if someone in charge would instruct the audience on how to express their approval.

Yeah, I was at a Keb Mo show in a series that's mostly jazz and americana, with a rather light-toned audience. Keb had to instruct us on how to loosen up & shout out a bit.

... one more thing ...

I went to the movies last night and I personally enjoy watching the credits especially to see who was involved with the music. There are those who feel as soon as The end appears it's time to stand up, take their sweet time to put on their jackets, talk, while some of us are still seated watching the credits.

... one more thing ...

I went to the movies last night and I personally enjoy watching the credits especially to see who was involved with the music. There are those who feel as soon as The end appears it's time to stand up, take their sweet time to put on their jackets, talk, while some of us are still seated watching the credits.

Try sitting in the front row Dave ! :thu:

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

About ten years ago, I was at a Luka Bloom show at The Park West in Chicago. He performs solo on (electronically enhanced) acoustic guitar, and early on he gets going and the audience starts to clap in rhythm (badly...). He stops cold mid-song and says "if I had wanted a drummer I would have brought along Ginger Bleeding Baker!"

... one more thing ...

My peeve is at the beginning. It seems that more and more people continue talking through the beginning of the film until the first dialog or event occurs. In fact, it seems to me that many movies are designed for this. They show a lot of shots with just some music for several minutes to allow the audience to settle down.

If you're really unlucky, you get in a theater with people who've forgotten that they're not at home and shouldn't be talking about the movie throughout the movie.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I went to the movies last night...

Why?

Quick. Someone name twelve really good movies that came out in 2009 worth the hassle of getting off the couch. That's one movie per month. I think that's reasonable that there should be one movie per month worth the buck$$. Whatzit, about $50 to take a date to the movies? ...(buttered popcorn, Necco wafers & Coke included, of course).

Alright, I'll even make it easy for ya; KLONK for a listing of 2009 movies.

:snax:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Are you married Dave?

I'm sorry to disappoint, B3-er, but I'm already spoken for.

I went to the movies last night...

Why?

Quick. Someone name twelve really good movies that came out in 2009 worth the hassle of getting off the couch. That's one movie per month. I think that's reasonable that there should be one movie per month worth the buck$$. Whatzit, about $50 to take a date to the movies? ...(buttered popcorn, Necco wafers & Coke included, of course).

Alright, I'll even make it easy for ya; KLONK for a listing of 2009 movies.

:snax:

I almost never go to the movies any more. I checked out that list and only one movie there did I see in the theater. Star Trek. Some others I watched at home on DVD and one of those stood out as one of the best movies I've ever seen in my life. But I'm going to start a new thread to talk about that.

I was at a classical concert yesterday (a Bach cantata) and folks just applauded, no whistling, no yelling, no screaming, just applause.

I would love if someone in charge would instruct the audience on how to express their approval.

Yeah, I was at a Keb Mo show in a series that's mostly jazz and americana, with a rather light-toned audience. Keb had to instruct us on how to loosen up & shout out a bit.

Actually I don't like it when a performer tells the audience how to behave (as oppose to stop misbehaving). Whether I jump up and dance, hoot and holler, applaud, or not, I think a performer lecturing me about my performance as an audience member is odd...

Actually I don't like it when a performer tells the audience how to behave (as oppose to stop misbehaving). Whether I jump up and dance, hoot and holler, applaud, or not, I think a performer lecturing me about my performance as an audience member is odd...

You paid for the ticket; assuming you're not doing anything to ruin the concert experience for everyone else, I say you should do whatever you feel like doing.

Still, I have been guilty of prodding my audiences from time to time. If it seems like people are wanting to get up and dance, for example, but waiting for an opportune moment, I'll gently remind them that dancing is not against the law where we live. ;)

Still, I have been guilty of prodding my audiences from time to time. If it seems like people are wanting to get up and dance, for example, but waiting for an opportune moment, I'll gently remind them that dancing is not against the law where we live. ;)

Yeah, I know, sometimes people do need "permission" or a reminder. I'm not a front person but every front person I've worked with has had to deal with that at sometime or other. When it is done in a humorous way, that makes the audience respond and like the performer, as opposed to it being the performer critiquing the audience. I guess though it is kind of like playing music - the quality depends not only on the preparation but the mood of the moment.

I think it's RUDE for the women in the audience to remove their undergarments and throw them at me when I'm on stage. :mad:

What? Do they expect me to do their laundry?

:rimshot::cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

When it is done in a humorous way, that makes the audience respond and like the performer, as opposed to it being the performer critiquing the audience. I guess though it is kind of like playing music - the quality depends not only on the preparation but the mood of the moment.

Yes and yes. :)

I think it's RUDE for the women in the audience to remove their undergarments and throw them at me when I'm on stage. :mad:

What? Do they expect me to do their laundry?

:rimshot::cool:

Yeah, I'd much rather they bring a brand new pair with the tag still on it and throw those onstage. Don't forget to write a name and number on the tag. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived