Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Open Labs SoundSlate

burningbusch

Saw the ad in the latest keyboard. A 1RU device that can run soft synths plus any DAW. Also available is an 8" color touch screen called the Controller II.

At first glance, it looks like some real competition for Receptor.

Webcast tomorrow with more information.

http://openlabs.com/webcast

http://www.purgatorycreek.com/img/Soundslate3.jpg

Busch.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they're saying I can dump my Fantom and its card, my Motif rack, my Super JD990 and my S90Es into this, and replace that gear and my Receptor with a 1u rack, count me in.

+1000000

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

With 4GB of RAM and 2 TeraByte of Hard Drive for $1999, it seems VERY reasonably priced, and lots less expensive than the Receptor.

It does say UP TO, so I suspect the base configuration is less than that. On the other hand HDs and RAM aren't that expensive.

Against Receptor, I think the +s will be that it's not proprietary, can run ANY Windows soft synths, can run DAWs including Protools and the color touch screen can act as a customized interface to the hardware.

Busch.

With 4GB of RAM and 2 TeraByte of Hard Drive for $1999, it seems VERY reasonably priced, and lots less expensive than the Receptor.

That isn't the base configuration AFAIK. The real plus here is Receptor, SM-PRO, and Open labs are challenging the Big 4.5

When I think of the Roland line A-70/90 and JV-2080/1080 integration and the steps taken backwards in 10 years in controllers and racks I see an opening for Fatar or Axiom and third party VST players to develop a standard to blow away the A-70/90 and JV-2080/1080 integration.

Someone will step up and take the ring.

If it peforms as well as a Receptor and accepts all the usual Windows Installers, Muse will need to run for cover. Unlike SM-Pro, Open Labs has a proven environment. This is a repackage for them which could make it the industry leader even if the full box (4 gig, 2 TB, and Mimik) runs 3K MAP.

The specs read like a Neko EX5 in a box. The EX5 ships w/ a 2.8 Core 2 Duo and 2 GB/500GB upgradeable to 4GB/2TB.

http://www.openlabs.com/nekoex5-tech.html

If they're saying I can dump my Fantom and its card, my Motif rack, my Super JD990 and my S90Es into this, and replace that gear and my Receptor with a 1u rack, count me in.

I suspect the MimiK software is a program that lets you easily sample hardware synths. I've used these in the past and they work well for certain sounds and not so well for others. You just enter parameters for how long you want it to sample, at what velocity layers and how many notes per octave. The software then does all the recording and assembles a sampled instrument, e.g. in SoundFont format. If you have a handful of sounds from a hardware synth you need it can sometimes save from having to lug it around on every gig. I doubt that the MimiK software is any more than this, but I could be wrong.

Busch.

I suspect the MimiK software is a program that lets you easily sample hardware synths. I've used these in the past and they work well for certain sounds and not so well for others. You just enter parameters for how long you want it to sample, at what velocity layers and how many notes per octave. The software then does all the recording and assembles a sampled instrument, e.g. in SoundFont format. If you have a handful of sounds from a hardware synth you need it can sometimes save from having to lug it around on every gig. I doubt that the MimiK software is any more than this, but I could be wrong.

Busch.

You are right on. (From their website)

◦Open Labs proprietary software for NeKo or MiKo

◦Automatically sample any MIDI capable sound device

◦Can capture different velocity layers

◦Sample any key range, note length, up to 96K / 32bits and in stereo (or mono)

◦Options for automatically fading and chopping samples

◦Sample entire banks or sets of banks at a time

◦Exports an open human readable sample library file (SFZ)

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Busch:

I'm going to start single handedly blaming you for all my recent GAS attacks. BTW the M3 is getting much love and affection.

I'm wondering since Stephen Kay made his Karma Software available for the Open Labs platform if that will carry over into this new product as well. I don't see any mention of it in the ad yet. Maybe the webcast...

...and patiently we wait.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Maybe this latest product will give Open Labs more market penetration. I've always felt they had the right ideas albeit a little late.

A few years ago, mimicking KBs, importing sample libraries and running VSTs in one device would have been a huge deal for performance-oriented musos in urban music styles. Nowadays, they seem to cover their bases with a few KBs.

While the NeKo and MiKo and have been relegated to studio duty, maybe the SoundSlate plus MIDI controller/ROMpler/DP will make it to the stage. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The thing that looks interesting to me is the possiblilty of running a sequencer in it. Hmm... An A70, keytar, and this...?

Slightly OT, but does anybody know with Ableton Live or anything else that might run in this module, can you use PC#'s to select a song and then transport controls to start/stop?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I believe I saw that it ships with Cubase LE and Live Le. My understanding is if you want to upgrade to the full Ableton Live you could. I already have Cubase 5 but I also have a demo of Live and just have never been able to wrap my arms around it. I wish I could becasue I see it used in demos and it looks great.

After watching that webcast I would say the Muse people are a little scared right now.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

You are not going to get 4GB of RAM and 2TB of HD for $1999. The ad states "up to 4 GB... and up to 2 TB".

Given this new box runs Win XP, it might be a good competitor against the Muse Receptor.

Interesting Open Labs is releasing this given one of their earliest products was the OMX64 which was a rack-mounted computer (no keyboard and optional touch screen).

The problem Open Labs will have is convincing someone that this is better than a "normal" rack-mounted computer runnin Win XP -- i.e. what is the "value add" for this product.

Busch.

You are correct. That is exactly what Mimik is. If the sounds you are trying to sample are static -- i.e. nothing in them is synced to tempo or has arpeggiation, then it will sound OK. However, their claim that one can "clone" other keyboards is simply marketing garbage.

The problem Open Labs will have is convincing someone that this is better than a "normal" rack-mounted computer runnin Win XP -- i.e. what is the "value add" for this product.

What is of great interest to me about the OL SS product is the 8" color touch screen and the integration with their Riff software. If I was to build a computer for home studio I would want traditional keyboard and mouse. But for live use I do NOT want to deal with a keyboard and/or mouse. I have used laptops live for years, but I never touch them once they've booted. I rely on my MIDI controller to change sounds and presets. The 8" touch screen is different. I could see it velcro-ed to my MIDI keyboard and using it to switch presets.

It also has a LIVE CONTROL mode which allows you to create virtual knobs/sliders/X-Y pad, etc. to control the VSTis. This can change from song preset to song preset.

http://www.openlabs.com/_img/screen_riff2.jpg

I'm sure you could cobble something together for less money but I don't see that it's going have this same level of integration. And while this is a new product, it's really an extension of their prior work.

Busch.

Slightly OT, but does anybody know with Ableton Live or anything else that might run in this module, can you use PC#'s to select a song and then transport controls to start/stop?

You can trigger clips or scenes (scenes are a horizontal grouping of clips) using MIDI notes and CC# but not PC. They can also be triggered by keys on the computer keyboard. I've used MIDI notes in the past. If you have a controller that supports multiple zones, set up a few keys at one of the extremes of the keyboard. When you change setups on the keyboard you just make it so that each setup is triggering a different clip/scene each time. Make sense?

Busch.

What is of great interest to me about the OL SS product is the 8" color touch screen and the integration with their Riff software.

I am not exactly sure how the Riff software would work without an Open Labs keyboard.

Given the video on their website about Riff, I thought its purpose was to allow you to map their phyical keyboard controllers (sliders, knobs, etc. on the neKo or meKo)to software virtual controls (e.g. a fader in Ableton Live).

I don't know how this would work with their touch screen, and I am skeptical about it working with synth workstation controllers, e.g. using the controllers on a Fantom X controlling Riff.

You can trigger clips or scenes (scenes are a horizontal grouping of clips) using MIDI notes and CC# but not PC. They can also be triggered by keys on the computer keyboard. I've used MIDI notes in the past. If you have a controller that supports multiple zones, set up a few keys at one of the extremes of the keyboard. When you change setups on the keyboard you just make it so that each setup is triggering a different clip/scene each time. Make sense?

yes, I've run into that sort of thing before. That doesn't work very well for me. Every night, a different set list. Need to assemble the set list of 45 different songs every night fairly quickly. I was kind of thinking back to the days of the Alesis DataDisk (remember those?) where you could assign a PC# to a sequence - hit that number and it sent it. At that time it just sent Sysex and other "setup" info. But it would be nice to do my setlist that way. To do the zone thing, to accomodate every possibility of set list order, every song setup would have to have a zone with enough keys to trigger all 90 or so songs we do. So it would take an 88-key keyboard just to select the song. No dice.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I don't know anything but what I see in that ad, but it looks like a 1 rack space computer... not a big deal.... plus some proprietary software as Busch describes. Not where I would put my money, because I want to be able to choose the best I/O cards and not be stuck with whatever is supplied on the motherboard. Also, I use three 19 inch monitors to run my studio -without- running keyboard emulation software. I can't imagine trying to handle it all on an 8 inch touch screen. Personal opinion, but touch screens are not a logical or ergonomically sound way to run a DAW, with the possible exception of the REd Leaf piece, which I have not tried: http://vintageking.com/Red-Leaf-Technology-TS-Control-32

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I suspect the MimiK software is a program that lets you easily sample hardware synths.

I´ve read somewhere in the past, Mimik is a derivate of Sample Robot http://www.samplerobot.de/english/index.php w/ a OL GUI.

Not bad,- but sampling(cloning)hardware instruments isn´t easy really. The configuration of these programs is time consuming before and until all the sampling jobs will be done automatically,- maybe overnite.

In addition, best is, to find out which modulations in a original patch of a hardware instrument are operated by what and to which controlleres these possibly are assigned in the original instrumens patch,- all the real-time stuff has to be re-constructed to make similar usage of the "clone". Hard work and needs knowledge and experience.

If you have a handful of sounds from a hardware synth you need it can sometimes save from having to lug it around on every gig. I doubt that the MimiK software is any more than this, but I could be wrong.

Busch.

No, you´re right.

This type of software is for sound library designers in 1st place.

It goes relatively fast to "clone" very simple sounds, but if you want more, you have to decide if you want to be a hardware cloner or a keyboard player.

I prefer to lug my gear around and have time to practise and play, arrange and compose or have a good time private.

Nothing against OL at all,- a Neko XXL is a dream machine in principle,- but was always to expensive for me (in europe!).

Is the best concept I´ve ever seen as a VST/VSTi player which runs any other app in addition. Because it runs Reason too, it would be ideal for me.

The 1HU rack unit makes me nervous a bit,- it´s somewhat too promising IMO. I wonder how they handle the cooling if there are a Core 2 processor, 4GB RAM, harddrives, graphics, audio/midi and a PSU inside. Sounds to me like it´s build very tight inside.

What does Core 2 mean?

It just only means the 2nd generation of processors under the brands (Intel) name "Core" and has nothing to do with the number of cores. It also does not mean the 2nd generation of core-microarchitecture.

Core2Duo and Core2Quad are a different story.

So, which processor is really in this 1HU box ?

A.C.

I don't know anything but what I see in that ad, but it looks like a 1 rack space computer... not a big deal.... plus some proprietary software as Busch describes. Not where I would put my money, because I want to be able to choose the best I/O cards and not be stuck with whatever is supplied on the motherboard. Also, I use three 19 inch monitors to run my studio -without- running keyboard emulation software. I can't imagine trying to handle it all on an 8 inch touch screen. Personal opinion, but touch screens are not a logical or ergonomically sound way to run a DAW, with the possible exception of the REd Leaf piece, which I have not tried: http://vintageking.com/Red-Leaf-Technology-TS-Control-32

Bill, you have some very valid points. But remember your perspective may be slightly different from others. You are thinking about running a DAW from mostly a studio perspective. From a live instrument perspective, most of us would get everything set up ahead of time and use controllers to trigger whatever events/functions we need on stage. That is my area of interest. If I could hook up my 42" LCD at home to set the thing up and have NO display onstage (with reliable MIDI control assignments), that's fine with me.

(I wouldn't really hook up my 42", I was making a point. Most of you know that, but for those who were getting ready to bash me....)

Dan

So it would take an 88-key keyboard just to select the song. No dice.

He, he, you´re absolutely right (as a player).

But if you don´t have to play because the software does (loops/arpeggiators/sequences),- what´s wrong w/ this concept ?

:-)

A.C.

Intel® Core2 Duo ® (2.8GHz)

http://www.openlabs.com/soundslate-tech.html

Hardware:
Yamaha

Software:
Recording

Archived