Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing with signed artist vs engineering job? Help.

bloodsample

I went to University of Maryland and they had everything there, including whole departments of eye candy. Engineering (& Math & Science) was just one corner of the campus, sort of to itself. A quick walk back to where everyone was and you were in the middle of everyone again. It was just another reason to enjoy elective classes. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There were a few pretty ones here and there, but as soon as I got away from the engineering department and saw the women on the rest of campus, I forgot about them!

Yeah - and I'm sure they were all over you thinking "wow, you're an engineering student AND a keyboardist?" :love::freak::P

Yeah - and I'm sure they were all over you thinking "wow, you're an engineering student AND a keyboardist?" :love::freak::P
I make no such claims. I'm just saying the view was better. :P

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Electrical Engineer chiming in.

I was in a similar situation while I was still in college. I got offered to be a keyboardist for a singer who used to be popular in 80's, and than left the country for a few years. He started to work on his career again, and had an album ready to hit the shelves. I was on my 2nd year of study, and I had a tough choice to make: drop the school and go on tour, or drop the tour and continue schooling. At the time that singer wasn't so popular, so I decided that it would be better to finish my schooling. Alas, his album turned out to be very successful, and he became populat again. I have heard that the guitar player in his band (who offered me the job) is now buying his 2nd flat, all from the money he earned with that guy.

The other side of the story is that I have managed to finish my schooling, I earn my bread and I still do the music (with several bands), mostly for pleasure (and a fee too, lol). Singer I refused to join isn't that popular anymore. The band he toured with managed to earn a decent amount of money, but it will not last them a lifetime. My education will last me a lifetime, and I will always be able to provide for me and my family.

I don't regret my decision, I still think it was a right thing to do. On the other hand, if I already had my degree at that time, no wife/gf/children, no loans or any other ties I would have probably jumped on that tour with both feet.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Yeah, Pale, I would tend to advocate finishing school like you did. You can always go back, but the river of life may take you in other directions instead.

I went to Engineering school in California and in my day all the foxes and surf bunnies were in dipshit majors like "Social Ecology" or "Cultural Anthropology" and other pseudo-sciences. The Engineering department was 100% nerdy-girls - and precious few of those.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

The seriously stacked departments around campus for girls were probably linguistics (which my current girlfriend was), poly sci, and of course the ultimate: Human Development.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

• 2 weeks later...

Update: So I officially left the band last night. It felt like breaking up with 5 people, but it went over pretty well.

After some serious thought and lots of help from this thread I decided that this wasn't a project I wanted to pursue all the way.

Thankfully I've already started jamming with another band and I'm really digging it!

Thanks again for all the wisdom it really helped me out through this tough decision.

Yeah, fortunately CMU has pretty popular Art, Music, and Drama programs which attract a fair share of eye candy.

I was P&S, and the arty gals were way cool, but tended to be as flaky as us arty guys. The Dramats were lovely to look at but 'warning, danger wil robinson!!!!'. H&SS were the closest to being normal.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Update: So I officially left the band last night.

...I've already started jamming with another band ...

And there it is.... already playing, getting the enjoyment while locking in a future. Sometimes the smart thing to do IS the smart thing to do. Good luck to you.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived