Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another new Hiromi performance

Jazz+

Maybe it's because she's Japanese, but I get the sense that Hiromi is all about perfection. What would happen if she were to make a mistake? Would she have a meltdown? Has anyone heard her make a mistake?
Who's to say she hasn't made them? In the solo clip posted in the other thread, there is at one point what I am sure is a mistake, a mis-struck note, probably a note that wasn't intended. Everyone makes them. She makes a lot fewer than most.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's interesting Steve, I noticed that after you mentioned it. I've figured it out! She is a human sequencer!

/just kidding guys!

In my neck of the woods, that is the impression Hiromi would leave on most musos.

It isn't a knock against her because folks do pay good money to hear and see a technical display. There is no doubt about Hiromi's ability to deliver in that regard.

Beyond the videos, I would like to hear Hiromi in an after-hours jam session around here. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

It was so long ago, on video - I believe it was an interview his brother did with him on TV - probably the Steve Allen Show. But I left out one important word - he said "it's an attitude."

Is it from that series of interviews he did with his brother, that are on youtube? I've seen those before, but don't remember that part. Maybe I'll watch them again.

That's interesting Steve, I noticed that after you mentioned it. I've figured it out! She is a human sequencer!

/just kidding guys!

In my neck of the woods, that is the impression Hiromi would leave on most musos.

It isn't a knock against her because folks do pay good money to hear and see a technical display. There is no doubt about Hiromi's ability to deliver in that regard.

Beyond the videos, I would like to hear Hiromi in an after-hours jam session around here. ;):cool:

Chuck Brown featuring Hiromi...
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Hmmm... Hiromi is not an "improvisor", doesn't play "jazz", doesn't "take risks", and doesn't enter "musically dangerous territory"...

Seems pretty cynical.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Hmmm... Hiromi is not an improvisor, doesn't play jazz, doesn't take risks, and doesn't enter "musically dangerous territory"...

Really? Seems pretty cynical.

She's in good company. They said the same things about Tatum and Oscar.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I can't believe that this thread has gone four pages without someone mentioning that Hiromi uses the RED... :whistle:

and a "X" stand :snax:

SK2 /w Mini Vent / XK3 Pro System /w 142 Leslie, Roland D70, Korg SP250 B3 1959 (retired) , Porta B (retired), XB2 (retired)

Hmmm... Hiromi is not an "improvisor", doesn't play "jazz", doesn't "take risks", and doesn't enter "musically dangerous territory"...

Seems pretty cynical.

I don't know about cynical, but obviously there are people here who don't like her playing. Not everybody likes everybody, true enough. But calling her out for the sins listed above, I doubt Chick Corea would agree, and I doubt he made a double CD with her for any other reason than he wanted to musically.

I don't know about cynical, but obviously there are people here who don't like her playing. Not everybody likes everybody, true enough. But calling her out for the sins listed above, I doubt Chick Corea would agree, and I doubt he made a double CD with her for any other reason than he wanted to musically.
C'mon, you can't be serious about that, can you? I mean, I'm sure Chick has high standards and everything, but to suggest that he and his record company do things for purely musical reasons only seems a bit... naive. And that's not a knock against Chick, it's just a reality check. Nor am I making a comment one way or another about why he would have made a recording with Hiromi, or about whether it's a good recording. I just don't believe that the only possible reasons he would consider to make a record, any record, are musical ones, not totally.

OK, I agree, "only possible reasons" is probably not correct - why did I say that? :-) For that matter, how do I know what he is thinking, anyway? I guess what I meant to say was that I think it unlikely that he would do a project like that with someone he considered not an improvisor, not a jazz player, not a risk taker, etc.

Chcik Corea has been performing live piano duos with her for many years now.

There are about 2 clips of the duo on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hiromi+Chick+corea&search_type=&aq=f

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Hiromi is plenty talented on her own, and Chick obviously doesn't need any piano player with him.

I don't think the duos signify a lot. He's performed with many people, like Bela Fleck and Bobby McFerrin, which did not come off that well on one video I saw (judging by the playing and Chick's facial expressions.) He has his reasons for doing it, probably for the sake of variety, the challenge, ticket sales, and nobly providing exposure for others.

Archived