Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg SV-1 Stage Vintage Piano - Official Product Intro Video

Joe Muscara

If I want to use just one board then the SV-1 won't cut it for the style of music I play which is soul, blues and rock which needs a good organ sound. If I was playing solo piano of jazz, I agree an Electro is the weaker choice, but the PC3x keybed for me is great and I can play dynamics just fine (not as good as my Yamaha Grand of course). I really did not find the keybed was any better than the PC3x, so I would choose a PC3 or x. I also didn't find the rhodes to be a WoW compared to a PC3 (just my opinion), but the AP was pretty lame. It was set up mono, so maybe stereo would help.

Korg makes a great organ product, I was just surprised that they would not put it into this board. Then for someone who wants to lug around just one board this could have been their choice.

Kurzweil PC3x, Nord Electro 3, Nord C-1, Casio Privia PX-3, Yamaha DX-7, Korg Polysix, Moog Taurus 3, Yamaha Motif XS (rack),Ventilator, QSC K12, K10

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the AP was pretty lame. It was set up mono, so maybe stereo would help.

The SV-1 sounds crap in mono - but so do 99% of all the digital pianos out there.

Korg makes a great organ product, I was just surprised that they would not put it into this board.

Pianos and organs are opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to touch and response. Neither is suitable for playing the sounds of the other. Korg markets the SV-1 as the "Stage Vintage Piano", so it's fairly clear which side of the divide this sits on.

As I said previously, I think the non-piano sounds in this product are merely included as a way to get you through a rehearsal or maybe one or two songs which need a fairly simple organ sound on them.

Even if Korg had gone further and added CX-3 organs in there, what would you do about drawbar control? Any solution would make the SV-1 bigger, heavier and more expensive - and you'd still have a totally unsuitable playing surface for those kind of sounds.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Hey Joe, thanks for the advise. I just knew that I'd have limited time with the board and wanted to pick some more experienced brains for advice.

I was able to mess around with the SV-1 for a few hours last Saturday and Sunday (in between playing with my toddler daughter). I don't think that I came across any revelations about it that haven't already been discussed. But, here's my two-cents anyway...

First, it is a really cool looking piece of equipment! Kuddos to the Italians on this one. It just drips of the vintage vibe that enhances the playing experience. Having the knobs right there eliminates any intimidation of scrolling through menus to tweak sounds.

Having such quick access to the controls, I could have spent days playing with the sounds. Good effects from what I could tell.

The feel of the keyboard seemed great to me. Particularly when playing the Rhodes and Wurly patches. Regarding the quality of the sounds, I don't have much to compare the SV-1 to, but it felt and sounded good to me.

As I am accustomed to the piano sounds on my Alesis DG-1, I wasn't immediately blown away by the APs on the SV-1. Some EQing helped get sounds that were more my taste.

While I understand that many dislike playing Clav parts on a weighted keyboard, it didn't really bother me. The fact you can use a Wah-Wah pedal with the SV-1 is cool.

In terms of sounds beyond the EPs, APs, Clavs and Organs (at this point, the organs sounds are good enough for me), I really wish Korg would have devoted more of the instrument's potential for the vintage, non-synth sounds.

Bottom line - I had fun with the SV-1 and love how it looks and feels.

Now, do I need it? Well, it certainly is inspirational in feel, appearance and the vintage keyboard sounds. Right now, I'm just woodshedding on my ability to play. It would be great to find a gig someday and my choice of whatever I purchase should lend itself to that situation. But then again, I could probably get away with my current apprentice situation by getting some software instruments and controlling them with the Alesis.

I guess it comes down to just how much I'm "jones-ing" for a new keyboard.

We'll see. Next test drive will be the Yamaha CP-5.

Doug

There's a really nice gig bag for the SV-1 that is starting to show up on a few sites. A nice tight fit and well-padded, priced around $180.

Looks like it might fit Hammond XK-1 as well, but as the ends of the bag are curved (like the SV-1 itself), it's hard to know whether the shorter or the longer of the end-to-end dimensions was used in the SV-1 specs (maybe someone here could clarify?).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Um, good bags cost money. All of my gig bags (except the PC3X, which the seller bundled with a nice Yamaha stage piano bag), are GigSkinz, which are around the same price for equivalent length.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 4 months later...

Is this thread still being viewed, would welcome any advice on the following.

To my ears - the Rhodes sound sounds kind of 'chime-like'. I have a few Rhodes VST emulations as well as a sampled instrument on an ASR-10 and they seem to have a bit more 'grit' about them. Am I the only one who thinks that the sound could do with more grit. I've tried changing the amp settings but that seems to just give me an overdriven sound - which is not really what I was looking for.

Also - are there any more sounds coming out for the SV-1 ? What would be great is some sort of mono synth sound. With the USB connectivity the SV-1 has - would we ever get the ability to create our own sounds and upload them to the instrument ?

Mark,

SV-1, AKAI MPC 3000, ASR-10, Turbo Phatt.

The SV-1 rhodes are kind of different (raw and glassy) to the usual rhodes in other romplers (Herbie-ish). In terms of adding grit, the amp simulation stuff does work but I find its a bit much like you infer.

I still haven't used the editor with mine but think it might be possible to do a fair amount of customisation there.

I doubt there will be any lead synths in the ROM but who knows for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
From what I've gathered from reading some of the Korg rep comments, there may be waveforms on the SV-1 that have not been used yet - so Korg may be planning future SV-1 updates that will include "new" sounds, ie: voices based on the unused waveforms residing in memory.

thanks for the update - just tried out some of the sounds from soundbank 2 and they're not bad - it would be good to have some sort of moog/worm 70's lead sound out of the choices we've got. That 'Van Halen' patch in the original soundbank really doesn't do it for me :)

thanks for the update - just tried out some of the sounds from soundbank 2 and they're not bad - it would be good to have some sort of moog/worm 70's lead sound out of the choices we've got. That 'Van Halen' patch in the original soundbank really doesn't do it for me :)

That's been said a lot, but I dunno - I don't really need another Moog clone in my life. I like what the SV-1 does as is. But I guess if a Rush/Tom Sawyer lead synth sound could be put in the place of the Van Halen poly I'd go for it. :D

I'm betting we'll see more Mellotron-ish sounds.

• 1 month later...

We've been promising it for a while and we're happy to tell you we've posted the next Sound Pack for the SV-1. Visit www.korg.com/sv1 and read all about it, listen to a lot of demos, and download it if you have an SV-1. We'd love to hear your comments. have a great weekend!

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

by the Pro:

I like what the SV-1 does as is.

The thing that players have to realize about instruments is this important FOOTBALL analogy "It is what it is". So I'd say you got it Jim.

I've read all kinds of crap being thrown at Yamaha for what they didn't put into the new XF, and a similar thing could be said of the Korg SV-1, but no where near as insulting as what has been going on at Motifator.com.

As you know Jim, I need a workstation to record and play the music that I do live, so I don't run out and buy a lot of different separate keyboards to built some kind of super gig rig. To me, the SV-1 is appealing as a fun synth that is loaded with vintage sounds that would be enjoyable to push a button and play. Korg doesn't seem to be sitting on their collective laurels about making changes to some of the functions and has just added another library of sounds. Maybe the SV-1 isn't for everyone, but it sure covers a lot of sonic territory. :thu:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

We've been promising it for a while and we're happy to tell you we've posted the next Sound Pack for the SV-1. Visit www.korg.com/sv1 and read all about it, listen to a lot of demos, and download it if you have an SV-1. We'd love to hear your comments. have a great weekend!

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

I've just spent some time listening to the new sounds....nice.

I'm very glad to see more Acoustic and Electric based Jazz Musicians represented here. The first one I listened to was Russell's Ac Bass & piano-very nice. It REALLY helps to hear this stuff played by great players in context. His 'Greenhouse" with the Strings was VERY cool too. He's so musical, he could make a DX-7 sound good.

I jumped over to Mitch Forman's E. Bass & piano next. The piano sounded overdubbed unless Mitch grew a third arm since last time I saw him. Again, very cool both the E. bass and piano and a really pretty song, 'Morning Walk". Mitch can play anything great.

I did appreciate Eldar's short display of pianistic virtuosity. A good showcase for the AP sound.

Speaking of virtuosity, it was great to hear Rob Schwimmer in a more introspective mood. He can really play the piano, needless to say. His touch was beautiful there. The tone on both piano 1 &2 sounded very nice.

Phil Markowitz is a terrific player and composer. Not exactly a household name but I've been a longtime fan. I've played "Evans" before, a great tune. Good to hear it in a condensed version here as well as his little Chic tribute on EP. Again both pianos, ac & el, sounded excellent I thought.

Had not heard of Paul Hefner but very nice, Bill inspired playing. A good example of the Piano in a more two hand, full bodied context.

What a wonderful player Chris Clark is. Another new name to me but very versatile and inventive in all styles. He shows off all those new sounds admirably.

I'm not a big organ guy but I really enjoyed Rodney Camps Gospel musings. Tasty and soulful. Those organs sound better then what was originally in there from what I remember.

Overall like mentioned, the EP are a little darker and less hyped. The Pianos do seem to have more sustain. When Russell was playing his lines I thought it sounded very legit. That "prog pad" that Jack played I liked a lot. The organs and the wah-clav seemed noticeably improved.

Now the million dollar question---will it sound that good live through a keyboard amp or a pair of $400-500 Mackie/JBL speakers you get from the GC ?

Probably as good as any other keyboard run through the same system I guess.

I'll be curious to hear/play it when it starts shipping with the SP-2 in the stores. Maybe I'll pick one up again.

A question that I think I know the answer to but wanted to check--would it be possible with the editor to keep any sounds from SP-1 (one of my favorites was "other bank/6" #5 Synth Brass ) when loading SP-2 in ? I'm guessing no.

It appears you can :blush: -"In addition, the Editor/Librarian software allows each of the 36 sounds and the eight Favorites to be programmed and saved individually".

Nice to hear your reaction, Dave. When we finished the sounds I was about to reach out to you to get some pre-release feedback and then.... you posted your sold your SV-1!! :-(

As you surmised, you are in complete control to mix and match sounds from the preload, SoundPack 1, Sound Pack 2, your own edits, sounds shared by users etc.

This is a support release, and we are not changing factory production - it's not an official re-voicing, it's more choices. So you won't necessarily find store units completely loaded with these instead. But any dealer or user could use a laptop to audition and vary the sounds in the floor model.

Again - glad to get reaction!

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

Jerry,

I haven't followed that discussion very closely so, forgive me if I'm asking questions that have been answered already.

1) Can the split point be moved? If so, can you do it on the fly or must you use the editor?

2) Can the LH split voice be routed to a different output than the RH split voice?

3) In split mode, can the effects be applied separately to each voice?

Thx,

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Jerry,

1) Can the split point be moved? If so, can you do it on the fly or must you use the editor?

Not by the user, it is programmed into the Sound itself. The SV-1 doesn't have a split function, but so many people asked for them so we knew we could do this - provide them for you. We could easily make new variations of the sounds if enough users say they need a different split point, for example.

2) Can the LH split voice be routed to a different output than the RH split voice?

If we left off all stereo effects we could do that with panning for mono sounds, but that's a pretty kludgey workaround IMHO. So I'd rather just say no.

3) In split mode, can the effects be applied separately to each voice?

Well, let's now remember to not say split mode - there is no mode. :-) Just like the layered sounds, we can remove the effects completely for one section, but we can't have separate/different effects on each half.

This is why we're not going to go crazy with splits, but we can certainly make more within the design of the product. So give us feedback - what type of sounds, what types of layers, what type of splits do you want/need? Within reason we can likely make them.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

Sorry if I missed this, but is there a program consisting of a piano/strings layer? I only played an SV-1 briefly on one occasion, and don't recall auditioning a piano/strings program. Thanks.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I believe there is an AP and string layer in soundpak 1.

To carry that a little further is there some mojo residing in the board that will let the factory create a piano string layer where the string layer volume could be controlled by the expression pedal ?? I am aware that the noise layer knob regulates the volume of the string layer now, but kinda hard to reach over in real time and do swells..

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Sorry if I missed this, but is there a program consisting of a piano/strings layer? I only played an SV-1 briefly on one occasion, and don't recall auditioning a piano/strings program. Thanks.

It does exist, the further question is: "Does it come with currently shipped models ?" The piano/string layer program is listed in the first of two Soundpacks now available; but, I also noticed it listed in Bank 4, under 'Sounds' on the SV-1 Specifications page.

I played the SV-1 very briefly at NAMM. After listening to the Soundpack, and checking out the SV-1 page a bit more, I may go play one today - as I'm in the midst of a bottom tier, live rig '88' re-evaluation: CP 5/50; RD-700 GFX, or NX; and now SV-1....

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

The APs all sound generally improved but as I'm doing more detailed listening here with phones I'm liking the sound of Piano 2a the best.

On Chris Clark's tunes I like the F. Bass & E. Piano on "Mendy's" except I'm not a huge fan of a phaser on the Rhodes, I'm assuming you can take that off and just have the straight Rhodes. The EP has a nice sound to it especially doubling the unison line with the bass. That's a great demo.

I also like both of his Wurlitzer demos, I'm more partial to "Street Fair" 200B Reed EP. This guy's really a great player .

I can't quit listening to Russell's "Greenhouse" with the "String Ensemble". Very compelling piece of music.

I love the three pieces played by William Blyden- His "Tallis Variations" w/ "Small Strings" is beautiful as is his very moving rendition of "For All Saints" with the SV-1 choir. Gorgeous stuff.

I like the sound of Organ 2 in John Novello's "Time Crunch" and it sounds like the same organ again in "Nov Cee Blues". It kinda has that Larry Young vibe to it. And again Organ 2 in a contrasting Gospel style of Rodney Camps on "Moving Thoughts"...makes me want to learn how to REALLY play the organ.

Kudos Korg guys for putting the best musical examples, for a "keyboard" , played by great players that I've ever heard on the net.

I've never yet been tempted to re-buy an instrument I've let go but listening to these demos, the SV-1 could provoke that reaction in me. I've had a weekend of playing the CP5's EPs and clavs and while the EPs at least are OK, they have a flat and artificial quality compared with those in the Korg.

I think my mistake was to buy the 73-note version. Anytime I've tried to compromise on keyboard length, the pianist in me has rebelled big time.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

While at W. LA Music the other day I was telling Chris, one of the salesmen and a very nice guy, about the new "Soundpack 2". He agreed to download the new OS and SP 2 into their SV-1 floor model. By the end of the day I received a phone call from Chris informing me that the new bank was downloaded and ready to be auditioned. So today I made yet another trip over to W. LA in Universal City.

I spent about an hour playing it and to put it simply--it's a different instrument.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and might look foolish down the road (wouldn't be the first time ) but I think it's fair to say that the SV-1 is now the instrument we were all hoping for it to be when it first came out--at least sonically speaking.

First off I think the APs are much improved. On first listen I liked Piano #1 more then #2 through the less then ideal Maudio monitors. When I put my AKG 240s on I did like the detail and warmth of #2 better. Both pianos are now much more refined and without a doubt much more playable from a pianist's standpoint. The mono piano patch is the best "Mono Piano" I've ever heard. I usually hate the "Mono Piano" sound on a DP. All of the new APs sustain better so consequently the player connection with the action is better. Yes, you can play Jazz on it. :taz: You're not going to coax the nuances out of it like the CP-5 but it's WAY better than just ok.

I'm not a Rhodes expert (although I did own three in another lifetime ) but I can't imagine even the most hard core Rhodes enthusiast not finding at least one of the new tweaked sounds at worst, very good. The Nord Piano sat 5 feet away and I went back and forth. Without a doubt the NP has some excellent Rhodes sounds and some still might prefer those but the playability of the Korg for me was very attractive. I think all six of the new Rhodes sounds I heard are stellar.

Ditto the Wurlitzers. The Wurli I think is now comparable to the one in the Nord Piano which is really saying something. One thing I did notice is that out of the 12 new Rhodes and Wurlitzer sounds, not one used the "Amp Model" section.

Organs-not a big organ guy here but they'd work for me. Much improved I thought. I really like Organ #2. It has that Larry Young sound to it.

Regarding the Clavs, again not a sound I use a lot but the one or two that I played in the bank seemed less hyped and more realistic. I think they would sit better in the mix, live, then the previous generation.

One thing that was confusing me at first was there were none of the LH bass splits in the 6X6 banks. I asked Chris, "are you sure you downloaded the whole SP-2 ? " And he said ..Yeah, I think so. So I'm thinking to myself, I'm losing my mind, I've gone through these 36 sounds 4 times now and no splits, I did hear them on the demos, where the heck are they ?! They are in the "Favorites", who knew ?!

The split point on all the splits is Eb below middle C. The balance between the bass and the RH is excellent on all. There are variations with Acoustic Bass, Elec. bass and a more synth type bass. They're all very useable in typical LH bass situations you might encounter on a gig.

I could go on but I feel like I should be getting paid at this point so I'll just say, try and get your store or Korg rep guy to download that new bank if you are just familiar with the original sounds. I think it's a night and day difference between the two.

Very encouraging. I'm going to go home and download. Or try to anyway. I was not able to download soundpack 1, so I've been using factory sounds all this time. I just couldn't see how to do it and Korg did not provide "dummy" instruction such as "next, using your right index finger, press the x button." Unfortunately, that seems to be what I need. There is probably a 9 year old SV-1 owner somewhere jamming away on Soundpack 2 and meanwhile I am stymied.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Archived