Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg SV-1 Stage Vintage Piano - Official Product Intro Video

Joe Muscara

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm so pleased I bought one, I had the opportunity to try the NE3 that my uni just bought, and it felt very inferior in it's playability, the action just plasticky. I found the other bells and whistle sounds quite poor too, the mellotron sounds are very lacklustre in their detail. I preferred the NE2 I had.

Jerry,

If it's straight from the board and a stock Rhodes patch, then how did the bell tone get so minimized to sound like a "Herbie Rhodes"? Why can't Aiden and others seem to defeat the prominent bell tone in the Rhodes patches? Which patch was Frank using and how did he have it tweaked?

J+

I'd have to ask Frank which sound he started with, but I know he turned off the Amp Sim and rolled off some treble. The rest is is touch and what he played. Let me ask him if he has any more to add.

regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

That sounds logical to me. If you roll off the treble and boost the mids on the SV-1's Rhodes you do lose a lot of the bell prominence. You don't lose it altogether but then the Rhodes is a tine piano after all.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Turning off the amp aim is the first thing I did as I posted earlier in the thread, I also rolled some treble off and changed the velocity response. Very nice it is now. I love the immediacy of control, and the fact it's pointing towards you.

Jerry:

I have some questions about the SP-170. I posted them in a separate, specific thread, but since you didn't respond, I'm re-posting them here:

Are the piano and EP sounds derived from the SV-1?

Are the two piano sounds "Japanese" and "German"?

Are the two EP sounds a Rhodes and a DX-style?

How does the new "Natural Weighted Hammer Action" compare to the RH3 action on the SV-1?

I'll get back to you on the velocity Aidan, I'm away from the SV until the weekend. I picked the heaviest velocity I'm pretty sure. The NAMM live video shows you really can tone down the bells, you can do it without going into the editor. It sounds really nice through a bigger speaker system. My monitors don't do it justice.

Has anyone found a case / gig bag that the 73 key SV-1 fits well in?

The 73 fits nicely in my Roadrunner gig bag, with 2" extra length and 3" of extra width in the bag. It's a pretty lightweight bag; I paid $60 or $70 a couple of years ago at GC. Should be good enough for house-to-car-to-stage and back.

Does anyone know if you can use both the 1/4" and xlr outputs simultaneously? The manual seems to imply it's either/or. I had thoughts of running 1/4" outs to my monitors and xlr to FOH. Doable?

"I never knew that music like that was possible." - Mozart ( Amadeus movie)

I'm informed by a dealer that the official bag should be available in a few days' time but will probably be a bit more expensive than generics, as you'd expect.

Does anyone know if you can use both the 1/4" and xlr outputs simultaneously? The manual seems to imply it's either/or. I had thoughts of running 1/4" outs to my monitors and xlr to FOH. Doable?

Anyone? Thanks.

"I never knew that music like that was possible." - Mozart ( Amadeus movie)

Does the new sound bank include a "Herbie Rhodes"?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Now Jerry has broken cover on this, I can tell you I've been demoing the new OS for a couple of weeks. One important difference is that the sensitivity of the buttons has been dialled down, vastly reducing any chance of inadvertently switching sounds or turning off local etc. You can also change the balance in layered sounds like piano/strings.

I didn't share the sounds with Aidan - at the time we just wanted to "test" the button response change, while we were finishing the sounds.

D-Bon - this group of sounds were started before the recent dialog about the "Herbie dark sound". We'll be releasing many more sounds, so that stuff will be next on our radar.

Herbie just took receipt of his SV-188, so maybe we should work on that sound with his input - good idea?

:-)

regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

Jerry:

I have some questions about the SP-170. I posted them in a separate, specific thread, but since you didn't respond, I'm re-posting them here:

When? I obviously missed it - sorry.

Are the piano and EP sounds derived from the SV-1?

Nope. It's a new piano sound for all of our markets, only used once before as part of a silent piano system Korg only sold in Japan. It's really nice, but not the SV-1.

Are the two piano sounds "Japanese" and "German"?

Both German variations I believe.

Are the two EP sounds a Rhodes and a DX-style?

Yup.

How does the new "Natural Weighted Hammer Action" compare to the RH3 action on the SV-1?
It's lighter to the touch/response for sure. It was designed to be put into lower-priced products and to add much less weight than our top-of-the-line RH3.

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

Anyone? Thanks.

Can we get answer to this question, please. Thanks, Ed

Page 9 of this very thread :thu:

"Can both sets of outputs be used simultaneously?"

Answer: "Yes (headphones too)."

I tried the board on Wednesday second time at a shop in Hungary, as my first meeting with the instrument was at a noisy music show. I played for about an hour, and I have to say I'm still really impressed and have a willing to buy it this year.

There's only one but very fat negative experience about this board: whenever I change instrument it mutes off all the sounds still ringing. This cut is not just really disturbing but sounds awfully digital.

Jerry, is there any chance to find a workaround for this and implement into an OS update? IMHO this issue can really be a deal-breaker for a live performance instrument. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate the great customer support you do on this forum!

Balazs Kovacs

hobby pianist & organ player & sound technician

My instruments are: August Förster Super Model upright piano, Höhner Electra electric piano

Now Jerry has broken cover on this, I can tell you I've been demoing the new OS for a couple of weeks. One important difference is that the sensitivity of the buttons has been dialled down, vastly reducing any chance of inadvertently switching sounds or turning off local etc.

Hi Aidan !

Does that rule for all of the buttons across the frontpanel and is changing programs by favourite buttons slower now too ?

I hope they found a good balance.

You can also change the balance in layered sounds like piano/strings.

That´s excellent news,- it´s one of the most important features for me.

It shows, the SV-1 might be more software upgradable than expected.

Now, I hope for a future update offering each programs of a layer will receive MIDI-info on a separate MIDI channel (local off mode) and being able to play one program of the layer w/ the internal keyboard (local MIDI channel) and the 2nd program w/ a 2nd keyboard connected to MIDI-In and on a different MIDI channel (local on mode).

Selectable separate MIDI-Transmit channel would be great too (but maybe it´s already existing,- don´t know).

thx for info

A.C.

Archived