Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

$100 windfall expected, what should I buy?

Joe P

I'll be selling one of my old modules. :thu:

I have JV1080, Electro 61, Micron, Keystation Pro controller, three tier X stand & KC350 amp (ducking and fending off vegetables...), volume pedal, sustain pedal, vocal mic, mic stand, music stand, stool... :freak:

I'm thinking mixer so I can easily send a line to our PA. Or maybe an effects unit. :idea:

Regards,

Joe :cool:

P.S. I play in a rock and blues cover band with a mild gigging schedule.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i woud buy a melodica! Really. Get a cheap one and try it in some blues solo, it gives colour in the music and -sad but truth!- people seem to pay more attention to a melodica than to a -let's say- a real hammond...
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Steinway?

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

i woud buy a melodica! Really. Get a cheap one and try it in some blues solo, it gives colour in the music and -sad but truth!- people seem to pay more attention to a melodica than to a -let's say- a real hammond...

Hey Yannis,

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to list my Hohner Melodica, which I already have. Yes, broke that out for a camp fire jam after my gigantic party. Love that instrument and am still trying to figure out a way to work it into our band's show. Good suggestion, though. :thu:

Regards,

Joe

Mixer is a great idea. It's always a good idea to have a mixer. You can get a good 10 channel Yamaha mixer for about that methinks.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Mixer is a great idea. It's always a good idea to have a mixer. You can get a good 10 channel Yamaha mixer for about that methinks.

Boba..,

That's what I was thinking, specifically the MG8/2FX but my preliminary search is showing that's no longer available. So it is looking like the Alesis MultiMix 6FX.

Regards,

Joe

Use that cash to start an IEM fund?

BloodyMary,

IEM is a great idea, but that type of gear usually ends up in our leader's possession and he uses it in his other bands (he does this with our PA head but we don't mind because we use his cabinets...). So I was thinking of something just for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Regards,

Joe

I'd buy a padded, quilted cover for the most valuable piece: KC350.... :rimshot: ............

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Use that cash to start an IEM fund?

BloodyMary,

IEM is a great idea, but that type of gear usually ends up in our leader's possession and he uses it in his other bands (he does this with our PA head but we don't mind because we use his cabinets...). So I was thinking of something just for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Regards,

Joe

Somebody else using my IEM's? Gross! Maybe I'm just funny about that. I guess as long as your not sharing the ear cushions, it's OK.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I'd buy a padded, quilted cover for the most valuable piece: KC350.... :rimshot: ............

Jake

Jake,

Good idea, since I can iron the quilt on my X Stand. :thu::)

Added: Actually the mixer should allow me to send stereo to the PA and best case would relegate the KC350 to monitor status.

Regards,

Joe

Why would gear YOU buy (ie, IEM's) be put into a common pool for the other guy to use as he pleases with other bands? Are your keys and amp used at his whim as well?

The KC has a send for the PA already, so I don't see why you'd need a separate mixer.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Why would gear YOU buy (ie, IEM's) be put into a common pool for the other guy to use as he pleases with other bands? Are your keys and amp used at his whim as well?

The KC has a send for the PA already, so I don't see why you'd need a separate mixer.

Dan,

I was just saying that for band gear as opposed to personal gear, he is the keeper. My band mates are lifelong friends, so it is not a typical situtation.

I've used the KC send to the PA for big shows. I'm thinking I could more easily run stereo to the PA using the mixer and sending 2 lines. I don't think the KC line out is stereo. I'm not concerned about the Micron and JV running in stereo, but I think the Electro Leslie sim will really benefit from it.

By the way Dan, I am doing a further mod to my three tier stand that builds on your PVC tier idea. You might be interested in it. I hope to post photos next week. In a nut shell, I am making the tiers closer together and less steep - like the PVC tier you designed.

Regards,

Joe

I have JV1080, Electro 61, Micron, Keystation Pro controller, three tier X stand & KC350 amp (ducking and fending off vegetables...), volume pedal, sustain pedal, vocal mic, mic stand, music stand, stool... :freak:

I'm thinking mixer so I can easily send a line to our PA. Or maybe an effects unit. :idea:

Regards,

why not not spend it ?

Its called ' savings '

I know, I know, WTF is ' savings " ?

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Regards,

why not not spend it ?

Its called ' savings '

Greg,

Your point is well taken and I am usually in the savings camp. My problem is I can't justify taking a hundred bucks out of the family budget to buy gear. I can afford it but I can't justify it.

However, if I am merely transferring gear, I don't feel guilty about it. :thu: I got the whole wife, kids, mortgage deal. My wife is a sweetheart and would probably let me buy anything, but I can't justify it to myself. Not enough gigs. :(

Regards,

Joe

Headphones or IEM. Ouch. :sick:

Joe, I would suggest the mixer as well. Also, I believe a JBL EON G2 is in your future. :):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Headphones or IEM. Ouch. :sick:

Joe, I would suggest the mixer as well. Also, I believe a JBL EON G2 is in your future. :):cool:

Prof,

You hit the nail right on the head! The mixer gives me the flexibility to eventually rid myself of the KC350.

Very incisive my friend. :thu:

Regards.

Joe

Subject: Re: $100 windfall expected, what should I buy?

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/files/imagecache/news/files/20061114_sheep.jpg

:thu::laugh:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Cool plan. Now, I'm wondering how long we can play through the KC350 before it becomes worth-less and relegated to subwoofer duty in the bathroom. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Subject: Re: $100 windfall expected, what should I buy?

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/files/imagecache/news/files/20061114_sheep.jpg

:thu::laugh:

Tom,

How many do I get for a hundred bucks? Just one or a complete harem? :love:

Regards,

Joe

Tom,

How many do I get for a hundred bucks? Just one or a complete harem? :love:

Regards,

Joe

Ummmmm, Joe?

It was a JOKE! :rolleyes:

You are such a PERV! :cool:

;)

Err, the answer is one for $75.

Yeah, I know. Not cheap.

But, this week only - you can get two, cloned of course, for $100.

Double the fun! :D

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Regards,

why not not spend it ?

Its called ' savings '

Greg,

Your point is well taken and I am usually in the savings camp. My problem is I can't justify taking a hundred bucks out of the family budget to buy gear. I can afford it but I can't justify it.

However, if I am merely transferring gear, I don't feel guilty about it. :thu: I got the whole wife, kids, mortgage deal. My wife is a sweetheart and would probably let me buy anything, but I can't justify it to myself. Not enough gigs. :(

Regards,

Joe

ok, well in that case, you shouldn't invest $100 in your kidlet's education

That's what public schools are for

( I am joking with you )

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Archived