Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's your go to 'party song'?

scottasin

D-Bon:

And your problem is that you never answered the first part of my post. What songs have you written that have sold 10% of what Pianoman has sold over the years. Selective memory as well as a lack of a desire to play what people ask for. I wouldn't take a job in Customer Service if I were you.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
D-Bon:

What songs have you written that have sold 10% of what Pianoman has sold over the years.

Mike T.

What's your point? That huge sales can justify playing a dead song? They don't.

I was just being a jerk, and throwing out that option in case someone needed it, such as cases when being asked to play is abused. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

My point is that what are your qualifications for being critic of the year? You've written as many hit songs as I have, zero. Just because YOU don't like the song doesn't mean other people can't request it. People want songs that they are familiar with and at a party, something that is easy to sing along with. People still ask for "Sweet Caroline" in this area for that very reason. I'm way tired of playing this old stuff again and again, but my job as a paid entertainer is to do the best that I can do play what the people that are paying me ask for. There is more latitude at a private party where no money is involved, but the principal is the same. You have to play what the audience asks for or you will not be playing very often.

Good luck with your Customer Service skills.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

D-Bon:

What songs have you written that have sold 10% of what Pianoman has sold over the years.

Mike T.

What's your point? That huge sales can justify playing a dead song? They don't.

I would contend that you don't like the song because it has been overplayed. I think it is a fine piece of songwriting - and while I get sick of hearing/playing it, I have been overexposed to it primarily because I play piano. Lots of other people don't have that issue, and I play for the audience, not for myself.

That said, my go-to song at parties is "Linus and Lucy" from the Peanuts. Everybody loves that one.

DRD

EDIT: just remembered... I can't exactly sing and play at the same time well, which would be a hindrance in the situation... any tips for working on that?

Just practice as suggested by others. This skill will take you far beyond just being the center of attention at a party. Singing keyboard players are always in demand and you will be well rewarded if you get this down. I highly recommend it.

As far as material goes, I generally pull things that I think the room can relate to. If it's your own age group don't be afraid to do recent material. You want things that others may join in and sing with you. Nickelback (Rockstar?) Killers (Mr. Brightside?) things like that. Songs with strong hooks that almost everyone knows.

"Tiny Dancer" isn't a bad choice though. All age groups know and love that song. But they won't be singing along. In fact even my generation won't be singing along to that one. You're on your own.

I played piano bars for years, and what I grab could be anything. But again it depends on the crowd makeup. "New York New York" for my age group generally gets the ball rolling and I'll often start with that one.

Just a personal thing, but few songs make me want to retch as much as "Piano Man". My years and years of playing it in piano bars I guess. Today I only do it if it's absolutely required.

D-Bon and Mike,

You are cordially invited to the White House for a beer.

http://stuffeducatedlatinoslike.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/beer.jpg

:D

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Gas, me thinks you're on to something. I like your style. :thu:

Cheers,

Mike T.

D-Bon and Mike,

Sounds like a "Piano Men" duet is in order. Recorded for the sake of er, posterity. Well, KC proof or it didn't happen. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Maybe old material, but people still ask for that song. People sing along with it too. Whatever.

Mike

Have some self-respect and don't play it. Seriously.

I've known a few really good musicans over the years with that attitude. They are always the one in the band saying "I'm not playing that." None of them have been in a sucessful, popular band. The sad thing is that they don't understand why.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Here's one that would be a hit at ANY Party. By Nilsson - "You're Breaking My Heart, You're Tearing it Apart, So F**k You." :D

Gassy, I'll take that beer now :wave:

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

My point is that what are your qualifications for being critic of the year?

Aside from the fact that I was a professional music critic and my writing has been published in national magazines and on web sites? I don't think I need any.

Our perspectives on playing to/for an audience are vastly different, so let's leave it at that.

My point is that what are your qualifications for being critic of the year? You've written as many hit songs as I have, zero. Just because YOU don't like the song doesn't mean other people can't request it. People want songs that they are familiar with and at a party, something that is easy to sing along with. People still ask for "Sweet Caroline" in this area for that very reason. I'm way tired of playing this old stuff again and again, but my job as a paid entertainer is to do the best that I can do play what the people that are paying me ask for. There is more latitude at a private party where no money is involved, but the principal is the same. You have to play what the audience asks for or you will not be playing very often.

Good luck with your Customer Service skills.

Mike T.

I'd be the first to admit I'd love to be known for writing any overplayed, corny tune you'd care to mention, but.....

I am grateful noone's ever asked me to play either:

Billy Joel, Or Sweet Caroline. Just lucky perhaps ;)

The Peanuts thing-yeah, but it's been awhile. Also "Feelings" "Stranger in the Night" "Faithfully" "Freebird" there's many many like this.

I'll play anything if I know it or have a chart.

How about "Deep in the heart of Texas"?

I used to get requests for that one a lot at parties (and I WAS'NT in Texas either!), but I think those folks are dying off...

I hope.

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

What national magazines and web sites? Links or it didn't happen.

I do agree that our perspectives are different on playing to/for people.

Mike T.

D-Bon and Mike,

http://stuffeducatedlatinoslike.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/beer.jpg

Tom

Apparently the President drinks Bud, so I might have to sneak in a sixer of my own, maybe some Stone IPA. :cool:

A potential partygoer was born between 1900 to present. No tune is off-limits to the extent that someone might want to hear it. :cool:

I disagree. Just because someone wants to hear a terrible, totally overplayed song doesn't mean it has to be played.

You can always perform it with a little twist. I usually perform those worn out songs on the blues ala Dr.John side (since I do a lot of blues). People receive it pretty good, and I still have a lot of fun since I'm not playing it just like the original.

People also dig some of the stuff currently on the pop charts but done extremely differently. I remember once doing "Hit me baby one more time", cycling through several styles during the same song (blues-latin-disco etc). Crowd buys it.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Play some Cecil Taylor kinda shit. Nothing shows your contempt for parties better...

Damn, Kanker beat me to it! I actually played a John Zorn tune at my mom's nursing home once. The little old ladies loved it. My wife was almost cracking up.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Quote By D-bon:

Originally Posted By: ITGITC?

"D-Bon and Mike,

Tom

Apparently the President drinks Bud, so I might have to sneak in a sixer of my own, maybe some Stone IPA."

I certainly agree with that, Bud? The President? Really? Maybe they should give him a raise. This is not cooperating today, but I think you get it.

PM on its way,

Mike T.

Sometimes someone will ask me to play at a party not because they actually want to hear the piano, but because they somehow think it's cool to be seen as the person who asks someone to play the piano- if that makes any sense... In these cases I'll pick something I can end at any time if I see the crowd's interest waning - Linus and Lucy is a good one in this respect. If people are digging it, I'll keep on playing until the beer runs out.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I'm always a little suspicious of people who claim to be piano players and yet are hostile to the idea of sitting down and playing a little piano; people who describe it as being "sucked into" playing piano. Isn't playing piano the sine qua non of a piano player?

Well, I'm the only person who used the phrase "sucked into" here, so I'll assume this is directed at me. But I was misquoted, what I said was that I didn't want to be sucked into

the "play something" thing at parties. I generally don't "claim to" be a piano player at parties. In fact I rarely describe myself that way. I am a musician and a keyboardist, and as such I have focused my efforts on learning to play well in an ensemble situation. As a solo entertainer I am not very good.

I actually LOVE to play the piano in small groups in party situations -- provided that others are singing along or playing other instruments. Playing music as a group activity is something that was done routinely at family gatherings when I was a child, and is one of the most enjoyable things I do with my own groups of friends.

But that's seldom what people mean when they say "can you play something" while pointing to their dusty and out-of-tune upright at a random party, is it? They don't mean, "get warmed up while I tune up my guitar" or "start playing American Pie and we'll sing along". I'm totally down for that.

What they usually mean is, "please provide a brief interlude of solo entertainment for which you will not be paid". And I do, in fact, try to avoid doing that.

But hey, that's just me. You do what you want, it's all good. :D

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

The Piano Man conundrum is easily solved by never learning the song. That's my "out". :)

I would expand that to include not just Piano Man, but any song you don't feel like playing. "I'm sorry, I'm afraid I don't know that one..." while silently adding, "and I dare anyone to prove otherwise." Even when people are incredulous, they'll generally stop short of calling you a liar to preserve the social contract. (In fact the only time I've ever actually been called a liar when I said I didn't know a song, was when I genuinely didn't know it.)

As to the OT, my one-off party song is likely to be "Tipitina."

I'm certainly not afraid to break out Piano Man when asked. Hell, I'll do it even when I'm not asked! In fact, I played it in front of a crowd of Keyboard Corner Forumites during a Mid-Atlantic hang some time back (which led to two drunk chicks at the bar coming up to me afterwards and asking if I could play some more Billy Joel). So, go ahead and bring on the disdain if you so choose, but I've got MikeT's back on this one.

That said, I generally lean toward Elton John before Billy Joel if I'm asked to play a song at a party. Your Song and Candle In The Wind are my regular go-to's just because I've been playing them for so long I can do 'em in my sleep (or, more typically, after several beers). I'll also play Levon or Daniel sometimes, though.

I do sing, but I generally try to avoid singing when I play at parties. I reserve my singing for band gigs, when I know I have a PA (and some vocal effects!) to help "smooth over" some of my many vocal flaws.

Finally, I don't view it as a burden at all to be called to service at parties. I enjoy playing piano, and I enjoy playing piano for other people (whatever the occasion). I also enjoy the "surprise" that I sometimes create since I look very much like the ex-football player that I am, but I don't look a helluva lot like a piano player. I kind of get a kick out of the reactions I get from people seeing a 6 foot, 255 pound guy playing a sappy piano tune.....

Noah

I do about a 5-10 minute medley of a few songs. I'll start off with some free-form blues, and throw in a bunch of hot-doging sh*t. From there I go into Linus-N-Lucy, followed by a rag (Maple Leaf Rag or the Entertainer), from there it's the outro to LeyLa, then I go out with some boog-woogie, ending with a huge glissando starting at the bottom of the keyboard, up to the top, then back down with a final crunch played with my butt.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Archived