Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's your go to 'party song'?

scottasin

If you're at someones house or at a party, and the host asks you to sit down and play a tune, what do you go for... I don't really have any songs in my repertoire to fit the bill. Being in my highschool situation, I think I might try to learn Tiny Dancer or Let it Be, since I get the feeling the ladies will love it...

EDIT: just remembered... I can't exactly sing and play at the same time well, which would be a hindrance in the situation... any tips for working on that?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't exactly sing and play at the same time well, which would be a hindrance in the situation... any tips for working on that?

Simplify your playing during the times you are singing, start slowly as MAJUSCULE said, and lots of practice. Also, singing while playing back a recording of you playing can help to get the song as a whole into your head.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

I actually try to avoid getting sucked into the "play something" thing at people's houses or whatever. But sometimes it can't be avoided. In those situations I will usually play:

* Van Morrison's Tupelo Honey if it's a diverse crowd. The song works well even for people who don't know the original, and I sing it decently, having gigged it a million times.

* Let It Be if it's a crowd of musical people who are likely to sing along. (This may lead to a broader jam of indeterminate duration...)

* Journey's Feelin' That Way if it's a crowd of mostly Bay Area people about my age. Everyone who grew up here in the early 80s remembers the "Infinity" album fondly, no matter how they feel about the later 80s Journey stuff. :rolleyes: I can passably sing the Gregg Rolie parts, and by the time I've belted out two verses, I am generally forgiven for brutally butchering the Steve Perry parts. Often with much laughter, and others attempting to sing high soprano, to even more laughter. :D

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

I am not good at singing as well. But not because I can't sing, but because I just can't remember the words of any song. I think I know the words to only Wish You Were Here, other than that one my lyrics knowledge reduces to an occasional verse, chorus and the rest is humming. :)

But I'm good at picking the song on the fly (as long as I have heard it), so I usually ask "what song do you want to hear" and then hope they won't ask for a semi-unknown song with 30 chord changes. Freebird works fine :)

I work the best with a friend of mine (drummer,singer) who knows ALL the lyrics and is a soul of any party. He starts the song, I pick it up. ONce we played 6h in a row without repeating a song. Without him I can do maybe 30-60 minutes before wearing out.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

A ragtime.

+1

Maple Leaf Rag is my party trick, works everytime. Best thing, once you're done with it, nobody asks for another one! :thu:

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Billy Joel's Pianoman. Even monotones will try to sing along on the "La De Da" parts of the song. Duh.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

by D-Bon:

Originally Posted By: MikeT156

Billy Joel's Pianoman.

:sick::deadhorse:

Maybe old material, but people still ask for that song. People sing along with it too. Whatever.

Mike

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I usually break into a little boogie-blues, followed by some slow blues. After that, I thank them, and head for the beer.

Though since I've been messing around with it, I might go to "Wichita Lineman" or "Georgia on my Mind", or possibly "Night Life"

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

If the host is a doctor, ask him to perform an exam or open heart surgery or whatever his specialty is. Even better if they're an attorney, ask them for free legal advice instead of that $300 or $600/hour they charge.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Play some Cecil Taylor kinda shit. Nothing shows your contempt for parties better...

Yep, I'll bang out a few dissonant chords and runs, switch over to a Gospel-flavored improv and into a funky version of "Round Midnight". :laugh:

Unfortunately, I can not sing or play bass. Those are on the list of musical gifts I want. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Quote by D-Bon:

Have some self-respect and don't play it. Seriously.

Have some respect for me and don't tell me not to play a song that people ask for.

Mike T.

A potential partygoer was born between 1900 to present. No tune is off-limits to the extent that someone might want to hear it. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

A potential partygoer was born between 1900 to present. No tune is off-limits to the extent that someone might want to hear it. :cool:

I disagree. Just because someone wants to hear a terrible, totally overplayed song doesn't mean it has to be played.

If the host is a doctor, ask him to perform an exam or open heart surgery or whatever his specialty is. Even better if they're an attorney, ask them for free legal advice instead of that $300 or $600/hour they charge.

I'm always a little suspicious of people who claim to be piano players and yet are hostile to the idea of sitting down and playing a little piano; people who describe it as being "sucked into" playing piano. Isn't playing piano the sine qua non of a piano player?

And, yes, attorneys routinely get asked legal questions at parties. Nobody asks you to sit down at the dinner table and draft their will or draw up articles of incorporation, but last night's question was "can the Jackson family sue the doctor for manslaughter?" No, manslaughter is a criminal charge brought by the state, and wouldn't you wonder about a lawyer who either wouldn't or couldn't give you a simple straight-forward answer?

Oh, and I'm also with Marino. Scott Joplin is a party favorite.

Larry.

So Pianoman is "terrible". What songs have you written have sold 10% as much as Pianoman? I've played a lot worse songs that people asked for than anything that Billy Joel ever wrote. You know what they say about opinions. :rolleyes:

Mike T.

I disagree. Just because someone wants to hear a terrible, totally overplayed song doesn't mean it has to be played.

You are right. The tune doesn't have to be played. OTOH, the requestor is wealthy and/or has high profile functions. They hire KB players and pay them very well.... ;):cool:

PD

I've got two songs I use a lot "Superman" by five for fighting, and/or "What a Wonderful World" ala Louis Armstrong.

Lately I've been using eric clapton's "Tears In Heaven". It's been pretty well-received.

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

Archived