Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Jazz relegated to the B Stage

ProfD

During the festival I attended last weekend, there were (2) stages.

The A stage (main) featured mostly national acts. The B stage featured lesser known national acts and local acts too.

The Terence Blanchard Jazz All-Stars were scheduled to perform on the B stage. TB is a gifted trumpeter and composer.

Adding insult to injury, the Jazz performance was scheduled at the same time as the festival headliner.

Even worse, had I known the headliner was going to start an hour late, I certainly could have caught the jazz performance.

IMO, the Jazz set should have been on the A stage between the Gospel and R&B sets.

Whoever was responsible for scheduling did a major disservice to America's music. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Terence Blanchard, Benny Green and the rest of the Monterey Jazz All-Stars won last year's Grammy for Best Jazz Instrumental (a close friend engineered that recording, the only way I knew about it). Now they're B-stage. Talk about getting a dose of the realities of the business.

I just recently found out that George Wein, who sold his stake in the Newport Jazz Festival, has started up a new venture to provide jazz festivals again.

Jazz definitely needs those kind of angel investors who really know the music.

As an aside, i was recently asked to consider a corporate gig. They want a jazz trio to play background music.

My first thought was to take the gig and sub-contract it out.

Then again, maybe I should do the gig myself insuring the audience does hear jazz on that night. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

That's why you need to come to Montreal for a visit Prof.

I certainly plan to make that trip knowing there is still an appreciation for Jazz north of the border. :thu:

However, I just don't see why a festival featuring black music would push Jazz to the small stage.

Jazz certainly would have been better than some of the artists featured on the main stage. :cool:

PD

That's why you need to come to Montreal for a visit Prof.

Was going to say the same thing until I saw this post. Montreal is premiere in the world, perhaps second only to Montreaux.

Western Canada, ie: Vancouver, Saskatoon, Winnipeg all have outstanding jazz festivals, national-class as the artists criss-cross the country.

Here for the gear.

To my Canuck brethren, I'm not fond of cold weather. Of course, I just missed the Montreal Jazz Festival.

Otherwise, let me know when and where to visit for a jazz festival that doesn't require sitting in a cryogenic state. :laugh::cool:

PD

Prof, Winnipeg has a jazz festival annually in late June-early July. Contrary to most stereotypes, Winnipeg gets very hot in the summers, and the acts at the Jazz Festvial are top notch (This year's headliner was Branford Marsalis, and other acts included Al Green and Buddy Guy). I'm afraid you missed it this year, but you should come up in 2010. :D

To my Canuck brethren, I'm not fond of cold weather. Of course, I just missed the Montreal Jazz Festival.

Otherwise, let me know when and where to visit for a jazz festival that doesn't require sitting in a cryogenic state. :laugh::cool:

You also just missed the Toronto Jazz Festival (June 26-July 5), featuring artists like Sonny Rollins, Gary Burton Quartet w/Pat Metheny, Medeski,Martin&Wood, Dave Holland, Branford Marsalis, Al Di Meola, Eliane Elias and others.

I know (hope) you're joking about the weather, but we could just as easily talk about not wanting to go to the U.S. for fear of being shot or becoming dangerously obese. People in glass houses, and all that... ;)

Jazz certainly would have been better than some of the artists featured on the main stage. :cool:

Well, the public would enjoy it more if jazz had more 'pep' provided by backing tracks and sequencing. Think about it.

:deadhorse:

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

You also just missed the Toronto Jazz Festival (June 26-July 5), featuring artists like Sonny Rollins, Gary Burton Quartet w/Pat Metheny, Medeski,Martin&Wood, Dave Holland, Branford Marsalis, Al Di Meola, Eliane Elias and others.

I know (hope) you're joking about the weather, but we could just as easily talk about not wanting to go to the U.S. for fear of being shot or becoming dangerously obese. People in glass houses, and all that... ;)

Oh god, that's nearly all of my heroes, i wish we could see the same names on Istanbul Jazz Fest.

Ouch. :sick:

Funny you mention that...

Why just last night I was in my where-with-all rumaging around for a midnight snack in my kitchen (you know, the one with the large bay window that overlooks the McDonald's parking lot which I visit often) looking for my .45 just in case a large masked man from the Great White North should drop in uninvited wanting to lay some jazz on me.

:snax:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I have refused to reply to ProfD on the grounds that it may incriminate me politically or musicologically.

I believe that's taking the flat-5th.

Here for the gear.

Sounds like I have already missed two excellent festivals.

However, I'm not kidding about cold weather in general. For the same reason, I do not spend my winter vacations in the northern US either.

So, while the Montreal and Toronto Jazz Festivals would have worked, chances are slim that I would be in attendance if they were held in February.

I would rather get shot than be too cold. But, you cats need to lighten up and should know my style by now. :D

God willing and the creek doesn't rise, I'll see you cats in 2010. :laugh::cool:

PD

Sven,

You should come down for some lunch. Today I had 7 pork ribs that I grilled. They were great. On Sunday my brother brought over rib eyes. :love: Absolutely sinful.

Always remember this, my Canadian friend, the most important meal of the day is not breakfast, it's your next meal. You should always be focused on your next meal. A coupla meals ahead is even better. Tonight I'm having spaghetti. :love:

Regards,

Joe

P.S. Canadian bacon is great with eggs, especially on a buttered roll with melted American cheese. Wash it down with whole milk (not 2%).

Sounds like I have already missed two excellent festivals.

Yep. :D

However, I'm not kidding about cold weather in general. For the same reason, I do not spend my winter vacations in the northern US either.

Yes, but we're not talking about winter here; we actually have 3 weeks or so where you can see grass peeking through the snow! ;)

I would rather get shot than be too cold. But, you cats need to lighten up and should know my style by now. :D

Right back atcha... that's why I posted a smiley after my post. ;):D

God willing and the creek doesn't rise, I'll see you cats in 2010. :laugh::cool:

:thu: Looking forward to it!

Alright, now that my 2010 travel plans include a Canadian trip, let's get back to putting Jazz on the A stage.

Tony, thinks adding some arpeggiated patterns will break up the monotony but that puts more work on the KB player.

Maybe the horn players and guitarists should rap instead of solo. :laugh::cool:

PD

Edmonton is also very decent. Brandford Marsalis and John Abercrombie was the double headlining bill, Derek Trucks was there to start the festival, Jimmy Cobb, Nikky Yanofsky, Kurt Elling, Kenny Werner, and a good dose of international, national and local acts were there. My brother went to Vancouver and saw Sonny Rollins and John Stetch, among others. MMW was also in Calgary. We actually have some very good festivals up here!

If you're looking to come up a bit earlier, Brandon has a decent jazz festival in mid-March. Mostly for high schools, though. Still, there's no lack of talent. :)

For the curious:

The US is 74% BMI of 30 or more...Canada is 61%. So yes, the US is slightly more fat than Canada. That being said, no one should be bragging about a 61% obese rate. :snax:

Weather wise:

Days colder than 32:

Toronto 146

DC 71

Average Annual Hi and Low (entire year):

Toronto 54/37

DC 67/49

Average Snow

Toronto 52 inches

DC 18 inches

I love both cities, just providing some data :wave:

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

I just finished working the Vancouver International Jazz Festival as an MC and stage manager. This year we had Sonny Rollins, Kenny Werner, Jimmy Cobb, Hiromi, Christy Doran's New Bag and literally hundreds of other great performers. Well worth your time if you're in this part of the world at the end of June.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I think there's an itty bitty jazz festival around Labor Day.

Were thrilled to have Chick Corea and his fabulous trio with Stanley (Clarke) and Lenny (White) on opening night.  And then, of course, theres Wayne Shorter with John Patitucci, Brian Blade and Danilo Perezit just doesnt get much better than that!
(Check the link above for more.)

Kinda sorta Canadian. They call it "International". But I expect most Canadians attending this festival will travel north of their border to get here.

I'm pretty sure the jazzers get the A stages at this festival in our humble little Hockey Town. Good thing, too, because the rest of the time they have to put up with these new upstart venues like this one that just sprouted up in 1934.

We're still kind of new at this jazz festival thing; only been doing it for 30 years.

The festival boasts six stages and 100 acts over four days in a city well known for its musical legacy.

:wave:

I guess my tiny village is better known for a different festival in May (shucks, son, you missed it). This page says it's "the largest Country Music Festival of its kind in the world".

And look, they only need 3 days for it; not sure why the jazz guys need 4.

But that's why they call us CoTown. 'Cuz we're country!

[bTW, I played the B stage at this festival this year. Was more fun than wearing the britches you put in the ice box on a hot summer day!]

We're still kind of new at this jazz festival thing; only been doing it for 30 years.

Go ahead and rub it in mayne. Show off. :laugh:

I should try to make the Detroit Jazz Festival this year since the bailout, er, corporate sponsors were still able to pony up. :D

Undeniably, there are festivals and other outlets for Jazz. Still, I don't think it should ever have to sit at the kids table i.e. B stage on other festivals. :cool:

PD

As an aside, i was recently asked to consider a corporate gig. They want a jazz trio to play background music.

My first thought was to take the gig and sub-contract it out.

Then again, maybe I should do the gig myself insuring the audience does hear jazz on that night. :laugh::cool:

Be careful! They might not want to hear real jazz. The term has become almost meaningless, at least in my experience here in the SF Bay Area. On corporate gigs or weddings that request a "jazz set" it's usually more a smooth jazz vibe they want. Nothing too edgy, more like instrumental easy listening.

And "jazz festivals"? You'd be lucky to find a single jazz act even on the B stage. To me "jazz festival" has come to mean pop music appealing to an older demographic. Maybe I'm just cynical.

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Be careful! They might not want to hear real jazz. The term has become almost meaningless, at least in my experience here in the SF Bay Area. On corporate gigs or weddings that request a "jazz set" it's usually more a smooth jazz vibe they want. Nothing too edgy, more like instrumental easy listening.

JP

That's true. The public perception of jazz is...watered down, for lack of a better term. If you ask most people to name a sax player, nine times out of ten the first person to come to their mind(s) is Kenny G. :eek:

To a lot of people, "jazz" is instrumental music that's not rock (so not Satriani/Vai/etc.) with maybe some "funny" chords.

However, label it a jazz festival and they better know what they're getting into. True jazz covers a lot of territory (look at the career of Miles Davis alone) and all of it should be fair game.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

JP

That's true. The public perception of jazz is...watered down, for lack of a better term. If you ask most people to name a sax player, nine times out of ten the first person to come to their mind(s) is Kenny G. :eek:

That is why I considered doing the gig. I would show up in the requisite attire and proceed to play edgy Jazz i.e. Cecil Taylor/Roland Kirk. :laugh:

Sure, they might cut the set short and/or not invite me back next year but in that moment, somebody would have heard Jazz that night. :D:cool:

PD

I've got one word for you: New Orleans Jazz Festival.

Ok, 4 words; but the jazz is in a tent, while the stages are occupied by more popular faire. First year I went, I had to search out the Zawinul Syndicate and Dave Brubeck in the tent while Indigenous and other rock bands played on the big stages. Not complaining, mind you, the tent was packed, sounded great, and the audience was LISTENING.

Just sayin....

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Archived