Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Jazz relegated to the B Stage

ProfD

Well, let's go back to Canada, then! I maintain that the Edmonton International Jazz Festival is great! And it is jazz. Packed house for both Derek Trucks and Brandford Marsalis/John Abercrombie (in the city's best concert hall, no less). A solid line-up all around! They had, of course, those big shows that I was talking about, with local opening acts. They also had smaller, club shows in various venues around the city, little jazz "street teams" giving impromptu free shows around the town, a free piano-oriented series in a very nice hotel lobby, by a bar, etc. and to top it all off, a great free show, labeled Jazz in the Park, in the river valley on a beautiful day for EIGHT STRAIGHT HOURS! YEAH! (sorry for the long sentence) I got a fabulous sunburn and listened to great music for the whole day. Heaven, I tell you. http://www.edmontonjazz.com/cms/Festival/tabid/1419/language/en-US/Default.aspx

I actually left some stuff out, so feel free to check it out.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, while the Montreal and Toronto Jazz Festivals would have worked, chances are slim that I would be in attendance if they were held in February.

It's been awhile since there was an outdoor Jazz Fest held in February....

Look at that, it's 28C here today.... :thu:

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

So, while the Montreal and Toronto Jazz Festivals would have worked, chances are slim that I would be in attendance if they were held in February.

It's been awhile since there was an outdoor Jazz Fest held in February....

Look at that, it's 28C here today.... :thu:

Oh brotha, I just knew someone would pick that sh*t up. :laugh:

Dan, I hope we get a chance to meet up at the 2010 Montreal Jazz Festival. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Be careful! They might not want to hear real jazz. The term has become almost meaningless, at least in my experience here in the SF Bay Area. On corporate gigs or weddings that request a "jazz set" it's usually more a smooth jazz vibe they want. Nothing too edgy, more like instrumental easy listening.

JP

That's true. The public perception of jazz is...watered down, for lack of a better term. If you ask most people to name a sax player, nine times out of ten the first person to come to their mind(s) is Kenny G. :eek:

That is why I considered doing the gig. I would show up in the requisite attire and proceed to play edgy Jazz i.e. Cecil Taylor/Roland Kirk. :laugh:

Sure, they might cut the set short and/or not invite me back next year but in that moment, somebody would have heard Jazz that night. :D:cool:

Amen brother.

If you like "edgy" jazz, check out Skerik. A great sax player (One of my biggest musical influences, as it happens), and the edgiest mother-f***er the world's ever seen. :thu:

Archived