Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Way OT: RIP Billy Mays

NoahZark

That man could've sold ice to Eskimos.

Bizarre week for celebrities (and pseudo-celebrities, in Mr. Mays' case).

Given the story about his getting hit on the head during the US Air flight that had a blown tire, I wonder if this will turn into a Natasha Richardson-type death.

Noah

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mr. Mays sure let you know who he was. Few people can send me diving for the remote control faster. I always wished he'd stop doing that, but this isn't exactly what I had in mind.

--wmp

I did not enjoy his voice nor style, but recently saw him on a late night talk show and he had a sense of humor about it, so I gave him props for that. Condolences to those affected.

I've been saying "there goes your 'in threes' theory" but all the replies have been "unless there are two more coming." :rolleyes:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

After MJ passed he was heard saying - "But wait, there's more"

RIP Billy.

I enjoyed the little bit I saw of Pitchmen. A very intersting perspective on the craft. There's also a funny bit he did with Kimmel a while ago and some great stuff with Neil Cavuto about the SHAMWOW guy.

Yeah, I've gotta give props to Billy Mays. He cut his teeth in Atlantic City on the boardwalk. I spent a good deal of my formative years on the boardwalk and was amazed at the rhythm and, dare I say, the music of the pitchmen's spiel.

Outdoors is a big place to fill and many of these guys didn't have amplification--not at first. Imagine yourself in a booth staring at the Atlantic Ocean and trying to project over the roar of the waves. If you wanted to be heard at all you had to push from the diaphragm and put spirit into it.

I've also spent quite a number of years performing at state and county fairs where these guys are still doing their thing. They're wonderful to watch. And if the guy is good, I dare you not to buy. It's an art.

My dad was a salesman and a sucker for a good sales pitch. I watched what moved him and learned to respect the guys who made him open his wallet.

Godspeed, Billy.

K.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Always liked Billy Mays. Seems like he would've been a fun guy to have a beer with. A sad, untimely passing, for sure.

But does anyone else here realize that Dave Bryce is the Billy Mays of music technology? ;)

Seriously ... the voice, the cadence, the delivery, and when he's excited about something, Dave could take on the Atlantic any day.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I don't watch a lot of TV, so his loud voice drove me nuts when I'd hear it.

Then I saw him in an interview - a really nice guy who actually believed in what he was doing, but didn't take it too seriously. He said he tested all his products before pitching them, so he could honestly sell them. That's got to be a rarity.

I've been saying "there goes your 'in threes' theory" but all the replies have been "unless there are two more coming." :rolleyes:

Michael Jackson, Farrah Fawcett, Billy Mays, that's 3. Ooops Ed makes 4.

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Just a few weeks ago, I had seen an interesting interview with Billy Mays explaining how he sells.

His style certainly worked considering his popularity with product manufacturers and sales figures.

Nonetheless, an unexpected loss is difficult for family and friends. Condolences go out them. RIP. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Ah yes grasshopper, but have you forgotten Mr. Carradine? We are due for one more.

By all accounts, it looks like Swayze is next in line.

I HOPE NOT! That would be a bummer!

My vote is for Kim Jong Il

http://turkmenbrownie.com/Kim_jong_il_5.jpg

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

Ah yes grasshopper, but have you forgotten Mr. Carradine? We are due for one more.

By all accounts, it looks like Swayze is next in line.

I HOPE NOT! That would be a bummer!

Wait a second. Don't we need a relatively short time parameter to test the "Threes" theories? i.e. 3 in the same day; or 3 in the same week? Carradine was almost a month ago.

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Apparently, the konk on the head he got with that rough landing on a US Air jet had nothing to do with his death. He had heart disease and they suspect he had a heart attack. More to follow on that, not all test results are in yet.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

My dad was a salesman and a sucker for a good sales pitch.

I'm like that too.

Can't help it. I'll buy what the guy's selling just out of admiration for the pitch.

Luckily, there aren't many good salesmen out there. Or maybe I've just become a lot more critical of what constitutes "good".

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Multiple quotes.....and then there's always GAS:

I'm like that too.

Can't help it. I'll buy what the guy's selling just out of admiration for the pitch.

Salesmen are usually an easy sale for other salesmen. Maybe because they know how difficult it is to SNOW somebody into buying something that is over-priced, with a staff that has NO product knowledge, or any idea of how the thing actually works.

Good luck with that marketing plan. :bor:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived