Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: 47-year-old virgin blows Simon Cowle out of his chair...

Griffinator

No, not cynical at all about her. Like I said, I wish her well; I'm happy for her. I didn't say she's ordinary - she has a unique beauty in her voice and raw, real talent. She's bound to be better than a lot of contestants, although I don't watch the show, and I didn't write the article.

There are also many singers as good or better who don't get the millions of accolades she's getting.

There's no way to tell if some audience members may have known her and played along. But the mass audience certainly wasn't in on it - they were just manipulated, and that's the problem. If it had been honestly presented without the show's setup and the judges faking it, then the P.T. Barnum comparisons wouldn't happen.

But it's refreshing to see a raw talent get some attention on a show that's usually about 'slick'. Her raw talent puts a spotlight on the plastic nature of it - more power to her for that, and I hope she enjoys continued success.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be interesting if the trend moved away from 'slick' as SK graciously put it to the Boyle effect i.e. record companies signing, marketing and promoting ordinary (I said it) looks and raw talent.

In essence, minimizing the artist charm school, auto-tune, lip-synching and yodeling in the current marketplace.

OTOH, Boyle was manufactured in a sense too. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I prefer this guy who was on the same show last year with a similar underdog set up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y703tPc4PRk

I am pretty sure the producers are on the look out for these types of under dog set ups for the show.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I really don't know what the big deal is. Had it been someone that sounds like Etta James that was undiscovered then I would think differently.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I believe that show, Britains got Talent, is like American Idol, in that there are semi-final shows, with voting, for several weeks, or maybe daily, I'm not sure, before a winner is decided.

That being the case, I think 'wait and see' is a good approach. Can she be consistently good day after day, week after week? Will the public continue to love her, or will they turn on her like a pack of savages?

I prefer this guy who was on the same show last year with a similar underdog set up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y703tPc4PRk

This guy was not inexperienced, he had been doing amateur operas for many years.

What would be interesting is to put a real opera guy next to him. Likewise, putting a real broadway star next to Boyle. The disparity would be enormous. If you put Potts on stage at La Scala, they would literally boo him off of the stage.

I like Idol and watch it for entertainment, but the concept is strange for me. America's got Talent is even stranger. There are thousands of real opera singers out there waiting tables with their music performance degrees. They could destroy this guy, yet he get's a recording deal? I don't get it. I do understand the "feel-good" aspect of it all, but to me it ends when the show ends.

I feel like the Opera industry should take out an ad that says "If you like this guy, come check out a "Real" opera singer at our shows". :laugh:

Cygnus, my sister is an opera singer, so she's my point of reference for evaluating any classical singing style. She could go on Idol and win hands down in that style.

But I'm not sure that an audience could always tell the difference between an amateur and a pro, even if they were singing next to each other.

But I'm not sure that an audience could always tell the difference between an amateur and a pro, even if they were singing next to each other.

I have to agree :thu:

SK2 /w Mini Vent / XK3 Pro System /w 142 Leslie, Roland D70, Korg SP250 B3 1959 (retired) , Porta B (retired), XB2 (retired)

I have to agree :thu:

Indeed, they can't tell the difference between me and any good musicians I am fortunate enough to play with...
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Indeed, they can't tell the difference between me and any good musicians I am fortunate enough to play with...
So uh, kanker, that underdog statement sounds like you're saying you've never been kissed. :D Is there a possible Idol booking in your future?

I need to find some way to play up this sympathy thing to get on there.

SK:

If you thought the Susan Boyle thing looked "staged," this one takes the prize:

KID SINGER.

Simon Cowell stops this kid a verse into his "planned" song, tells him he's got this all wrong, and asks if he can sing anything else. The kid doesn't even need to think about his answer. He immediately names another song, and, quite magically, the music for that song starts immediately. The kid then belts it out with tremendous confidence and gets a standing ovation from Simon and the other judges. The fake drama on this show is getting a little stale.

Noah

So uh, kanker, that underdog statement sounds like you're saying you've never been kissed. :D Is there a possible Idol booking in your future?

I've never been a lot of things, but as B3-er kisses my ass all the time, that's not one of them. ;)
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I think they could, especially live.

Opera is usally not direct mic'ed, although they use some "enhancement" mics in a few halls. Therefore, those girls and boys have to belt it out. It's all about projection, and that alone would separate the pros from the amateurs. To sing over a 60 piece pit band takes some pipes.

Another thing the average Joe would notice is stage presence. The big stars have it. They also can hold those high notes. When Pavarotti was in his prime, he could be holding a high C, you could go out and grab a few beers and he would still be holding it when you got back. :laugh:

I've never been a lot of things, but as B3-er kisses my ass all the time, that's not one of them. ;)

It's only because I keep hoping you'll buy me some Shapiros.

Archived