Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My studio's gonna be humming today....

Dave Bryce

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Midnight In America

Definitely needs work...little too much fuzz on the Jan Hammer-esque solo at the end, but I was tweaking the filter in real time and really liked the way that went down so I kept it for now. I'll fix that and a few other production tweaks over the weekend and repost...

..and remember - this was written and recorded in only a few hours, so please do cut us some slack.... ;)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Great song, great rhythm, great artists... I really like how the EP leads into the piano parts from around 1:30 on.

Great job on the credits, dB,

Carlo - piano, EP, melody synth Menno - bass, solo synth Steve - guitar, organ, pads. harmony synth dB - knobs

my only suggestion is to change the credits to dB - knobs, sliders, and buttons! :wave:

***edit*** After listening several times I've got to admit that the very first stab reminds me A LOT of Steely Dan... there is a lot of good stuff in this song, a lot. Probably enough to build at least 3 very good individual songs...

When most people go to work, they work. When musicians go to work, they play. Which do you prefer?

Fantastic work fellas. I don't mean to nit-pick but this tune should also be included in the Original Compositions thread too. :laugh::thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

(I am guessing Andromeda for the first solo synth and a Mini for the latter ... ?)

Nope.

The melody line is a PEK. The Andromeda is the hollow Lyle Mays type sound that harmonizes against the melody when it comes around the second time. The solo at the end is my beloved J Hammer patch for the MEK.

dB

good job mixing and fixing Dave...not having heard any of it for a few days, I'm pleasantly surprised, I knew there would be a lot of good moments but the whole thing works pretty good.

Good name for the tune too.

fwiw...can you PM me a link where I can download it? One of the speakers for this computer is torn (kids), I'd like to hear the sounds and that ADAM mix loud and clear.

Can't wait to hear this!! The player is blocked here at the school where I work. Thanks for posting that.

Hey, this is really cool! I was looking forward to coming home and hearing this, and it didn't disappoint. Cool groove, and obviously very nice solos/melodies. Impressive.

Fantastic vibe. Serious chops. And you can hear the smiles on your faces. :thu:

That's a good way of describing it. I wasn't sure whether it was just because I knew the people playing it or what, but it's the sound of people smiling and having a really good time, and that translates.

The solo at the end is my beloved J Hammer patch for the MEK.

dB

It has sort of a wah sound as part of the patch, eh? Cool. Is this something Hammer frequently did as well?

It has sort of a wah sound as part of the patch, eh?

Not exactly...there's a filter sweep programmed to the MW - I'm actually manually working it while the mix is running. Jan Hammer changes the filter during his solos frequently, but he doesn't typically use it like I did - he uses it to morph from one sound used in one phrase to a slightly different tone that he then continues his solos with. See Jeff Beck Live record.

dB

Archived