Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bands with their own theme song

The "Band members wearing their own logos" thread got me thinking about this. What do you think of a band writing and performing their own theme song. And by theme song, I mean a song that has the band's name in it - either mentioned once or very prominently. The only one I can think of is The Monkees' "Hey, Hey, We're the Monkees" but there's got to be more. Any other examples? I guess Bad Company's "Bad Company" counts? What are your thoughts?

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm in a cover band named Panama. Isn't that conveeeenient. Seriously, Blue Oyster Cult has a song entitled Blue Oyster Cult. It's on an album from the nineties whose title escapes me now. I think it's a cool idea to have a theme song. Provided, of course, it's a good song. Ya know?

[quote]Originally posted by Rim: [b] What do you think of a band writing and performing their own theme song[/b][/quote]An old friend of mine had the idea a while back that Families should have their theme song piped into the rooms of their own house,sort of like the old "Father knows best" show,and when something sad happened for instance,a sadder version of the theme would kick in,and ect. ect.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

I wrote a song for our Fantasy League team The Gods Of Rock called We Are The Gods Of Rock. Bunny Knutson is an amazing musician BTW. I sent him an MP3 of me doing voice and acoustic guitar for the song and he produced a drum track, which is damn good, considering what he had to work with.

[quote]Originally posted by Botch.: [b] This is something that really irritates me about the last two Santana CDs, does he have to have his name mentioned in every damn song???? :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]guess yer not a jerry lee lewis fan either? his name is in EVERY song he recorded. -d. gauss

The ska band Madness had a theme song of sorts with "One Step Beyond": Hey you, don't watch that, watch this! This is the heavy heavy monster sound The nuttiest sound around So if you've come in off the street And you're beginning to feel the heat Well listen, Buster You better start to move your feet To the rockinest, rock-steady beat of Madness One step beyond!

"... and then she sucked my WoM all the way ... Yeah, she sucked it so bad..." Well, the song does not exist, but it just gave me an idea ;)

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

here's one.... EVERY RAP ARTIST ON THE PLANET in all their songs. and another... ZIGGY STARTDUST I know it doesn't count, but it's a good example, he sings about himself and the band. And technically, Nirvana uses the word Nirvana several times in Paper Cuts.

YEAH the last band Arell spencer and the heat I was in we had our "theme" song. It was a ditty I whipped up after practice one night. [b]TELL every body that you meet that tonite you jammed with the heat oh lawd have mercy please bless my soul and thank you lord for this rock and roll lets rock lets rock oh and roll[/b] of course like every goode rock song it had a few killer riffs and chunka,chunka stuff along with the obligatory girly observance. [b]I like a girl who wears leather and jeans she gotta be tough but not too mean I likes my women clean and sweet late at night you know we generate some heat[/b] it went on but thats all I can remember off the top of my head. Every goode LIVE band NEEDS a theme song. A goode rousing up tempo peppy number that is fun to play and even more fun to HEAR. We jumped around and clowned and hammed it up on this tune. drum Stick spinnin, guitar behind the back, and behind my head, spinnin' in place, bouncing off each other(careful on this one)string slides on the mic stand, the WORKS. We usually opened wth this tune. first set then played it some time in the last set. I wanted to play it every set but was SHOUTED, cussed and berated down. a simple vote would have done it. dang.. .

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

[quote]Originally posted by d gauss: [b]i believe devo... ...had (a) theme song... -d. gauss[/b][/quote]LOL! The only version I've heard of the Devo song is Weird Al Yankovic's snippet in one of the early, polka-versions-of-popular-songs medley's. He sounded like a chipmunk, singing, "Are we not men, we are DeeeeeeeeVo!?! Are we not men D E V OOOOOO!" :D

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[quote]Originally posted by thrashole369: [b]Hmmm... Suicidal tendencies has one Black Sabbath and Iron maiden do too. My favorite has to be Cause we are Gwar And we'll go far we've got guitars we'll eat your car GWAR GWAR GWAR GWAR![/b][/quote]Sounds like they ripped of Blondie. :D

I did this CD with a song called "Mocha Java" that repeated the bands name' over & over again...(listen at your own risk!) [url=http://www.10ton.com]www.10ton.com[/url] I absolutely hated performing that song, and ultimately decided it was better off without me, so I'd leave the stage. Cheers, Dogfur On edit: went back and listened and heard the name of the band about 70 times! At the time it didn't seem like that big a deal...
Woof!

How about "intros" before the band starts playing live???? Its OK if its in an arena by a major artist,... But when Bands in clubs do it... it's just "dorky". Still, got me thinking....hhmmmm????? Maybe I can pull it off....

Archived