Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good Solo Jazz Piano

fb000

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keith Jarret - "Facing You"

John Lewis - anything you can find

The recital series in Maybeck Hall: many greats participated there and you can find some superb moments, ballads and more. I have the Kenny Barron CD wich is fantastic.

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Ditto on the Mehldau Live in Tokyo and Maybeck Recital Hall recommendations. I'm quite fond of Fred Hersch's Maybeck disc, as well as his live in Amsterdam record from a couple of years ago.

I also recommend:

Paul Bley - Open, To Love

Oscar Peterson - My Favourite Instrument

Chick Corea - Piano Improvisations and Solo Piano: Standards

Geoff Keezer - Zero One (a bit of a different spin on solo piano, with overdubs and processing in spots; sort of like a late-20th-century Conversations With Myself)

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Check out Marian McPartlands Piano Jazz on NPR. Many of these shows are available on CD as well. Check the NPR website.

Regards,

Yeah, her program has provided a massive library of performances by many of the greatest jazz musicians, and pianists in particular, who ever lived in an intimate, casual setting.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Of course, the "Art Tatum Solo Masterpieces" series... but do not listen to that for too long... the risk is to give up piano forever, as Coleman Hawkins did. :freak::D

Ain't that the truth!

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

"Good" is subjective... something I recommend to students, because the technique required to play like it is not in the realm of Olympic gold medal playing, is "Blues For Lady Day" by Mal Waldron. There is a rough minalistic simplicity in his playing that a lot of players can borrow/learn from.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

If you have never heard Dave McKenna, you have no idea how hard one man can swing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XfOJTqRTDc

Awesome video, thanks for that! I hate it when the audio doesn't sync up exactly with the video on Youtube.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Fred Hersch's Maybeck disc is a good one.

Also, Uri Caine has an interesting CD called Solitare. He is a post-modern player. . .eclectic and free. . .but very accessible. Two fine ballads: "Solitare" and "Inhaling You."

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

Archived