Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to put a second synth on a Rhodes ????

analogholic

Hi everyone,

My problem:

I deciced to take my Minimoog with me on the next gig.

A K-2000 sits on top of the Rhodes, and would want to have the Mini over the Kurzweil.

No normal synthstand will get me there...

So how can I solve this?

IIRC, I somewhere saw some "desktop" synthstand, that would go underneath a synth(the K-2000 is this case)and you´d get like a second "tier" over that.

As a very "last resort", I have an A-frame stand that could do it, but it´s very bulky and won´t look that great on stage.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not pretty.. but it works :)

http://images.43things.com/entry/58628pw150.jpg

I saw once a great solution for your problem.. Ill try to find it again..

Rhodes MarkI Stage, Nord Stage 2 73SW, Moog SUB37, Elektron Analog Keys

Because you're using a Minimoog, you might be able to get away with a laptop computer stand, similar to this (found through a Google search, not a recommendation for this particular product):

http://www.matias.ca/ifold/resources/images/iFold_header_1.jpg

Clonk here for details.

I know there are lots of stand ideas like this out there... there's probably one that's perfect for your situation. Just takes a little creative thinking. :D

Another thought: get a pair of 2nd tier arms for an X-stand, and 2 lengths of aluminum tubing (of the same diameter as the X-stand the arms are made for), and rest the K2000 on top of the aluminum tubing.

Or get short lengths of the tubing, and spot weld (or otherwise fasten) it to longer lengths of flat metal stock that would lie underneath the Kurz. This would let the Kurz sit on the Rhodes on its feet as it does now, and would provide weight to keep the 2nd tier arms from tipping/moving.

Anyway, some ideas for you. Hope they help.

I don't know if it goes high enough for you, but a V-Stand would work with the legs on the floor and the tier over the K200. It goes up to 41-1/2". The "V" part of it would sit in front of the Rhodes. Of course, at full height, the distance between the arms might be too much for the mini. Plus the V stand is expensive and not very durable.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Thanks for your replies.

I´ll work it out somehow...I HAVE to....I fired up the Mini in the rehearsalspace the other day... no turning back now :laugh:

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Foam. Thick foam.

For the past 30 years, I've kept my Odyssey in place with 2" pieces of foam (attached with a little double sided tape) along the bottom surface near the front and back edges. It fills the space between the flat bottom of the synth and the curved top of the Rhodes.

Foam. Thick foam.

For the past 30 years, I've kept my Odyssey in place with 2" pieces of foam (attached with a little double sided tape) along the bottom surface near the front and back edges. It fills the space between the flat bottom of the synth and the curved top of the Rhodes.

I think you're misreading the OP... he's already got a Kurzweil K2000 sitting directly on the Rhodes. He wants to add his Minimoog, above the K2000. Without slapping an ugly X-stand or something behind the Rhodes. :thu:

Hi everyone,

I have an A-frame stand that could do it, but it´s very bulky and won´t look that great on stage.

Hi !

I think that´s the right way to go. I had 2 Rhodes, ClavD6 and Minis plus other synths on stage in the past. I ended up w/ 3 A-frame stands which, I have to agree, looked not so very good as also took too much space on the floor by the A-design.

So I started to built my own stands by using the material A-frames are made from,- just the aluminium tubes cutted to exactly desired length and height as also the T-nuts, bars in different length and handscrews. It´s relatively easy to built custmized stands this way and it can be very good looking if in black.

A.C.

Similar to MHZ's pic above, it appears some woodwork and velcro would solve the OP's dilemma and if done right, would look cool too. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

How about this. Put them side by side. Get a board that is long enough to hold them each and put some velcro on it to keep things together. I did this with my Electro and Moog a few times on the top tier of a stand. I think trying to triple-decker a Rhodes would end up being too tall, unwieldy, unattractive, etc. But a K2000 and Mini should be able to co-habitate side by side. You pick which goes left or right based on how you use them.

How about this. Put them side by side. Get a board that is long enough to hold them each and put some velcro on it to keep things together. I did this with my Electro and Moog a few times on the top tier of a stand. I think trying to triple-decker a Rhodes would end up being too tall, unwieldy, unattractive, etc. But a K2000 and Mini should be able to co-habitate side by side. You pick which goes left or right based on how you use them.

My thoughts exactly. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Al Coda - do you have any pictures of your stands?

Hi Kanker !

Yes, I have some pics of my home rig here. It changed a bit since one Mini was stolen and I sold a 2nd one as also the OB8 and Prophet in the past. It´s in principle not a question of what keys you want to stack. I myself decided to built 2 exactly identical stands, one for my home to use it sitting and one for the stage to use it in a standing position, so only the height changed but I can use identical wire snakes and/or multicores p.ex..

Most important is, you go to a rectangular design of the sides of the stand (just like a B3 looks like, viewed from the sides) and go away from the A-design. The front legs should cover the heights of the lowest keyboard you use and the rear legs should cover the heights of the highest keyboard you use. That way, you come up w/ 2 identical sideparts of the stand you can put in a case for touring together w/ the separate crossbraces then. This doesn´t collapse into very small parts but it´s easy and fast to setup and very stable. It´s not a solution to put it in any own small car, but it´s great for touring and the crew will have some space for you in the truck I hope. I used normal screws for all the parts of the stand which shall not collapse and the handscrews for the parts to remove, so no roady can make mistakes. Actually I use a Rhodes MK80 as my 88key controller w/ a Yammy KX-76 on top as also 2 small Alesis monitor speakers mounted on the rear legs. In addition and as a L- configuration, I have a Oberheim Xpander on lowest level, then a DX7mkII and a Minimoog stacked. This controlls the racks w/ wire snakes and a audio as also a midi-multicore. Power outlets for the instruments are mounted directly to one of the crossbars (the lowest one between the rear legs which stabilizes the stand).

Maybe we shall discuss this in detail privately if you tell me what you plan to use. I have to search for the pics 1st which just give a idea but are not in detail/close ups and maybe you send me a private mail, so I can mail you the pics w/ some explanations for your desired changes.

I have no CAD to draw anything, but if you have a fax, I can send you a drafted but more detailed construction later. The biggest prob might be to get the parts these days if not available completely. I ended up buying used A-frames or Ultimate parts from music shops who built display stands for their showrooms.

Let me know ...

A.C.

I have to admit, I'm just curious to see the conversion you did. I have an A frame, and if I ever decided to do something with it, I'd love to have your modifications as a reference ;)

Hi !

I´ve found a over one year old pic but see no chance to post attachements here. Checked your website for contact but didn´t found a way to add a pic to a mail.

In any way, the number of T-nuts, tubes and screws from only one exsisting A-frame are probably not enough to put a Rhodes, a 88key Kurz and a Mini into the main stand as a stack.

You´d need:

18 T-nuts w/screws,-

5 long tubes/crossbraces (length depends on if the Rhodes and Kurz are 73/76 or 88keys),-

4 tubes (legs)-

4 tubes which stabilize the legs front to back horizontally (length=depth of the Rhodes minus the diameter of 2 legs)-

4 long bars for the Rhodes,

3 or 4 mid-length bars for p.ex a Kurz,-

2 long bars for a MinimoogD,- it´s deep and heavy.

4 rubber feet

4 round faceplates which cover the upper open ends of the 4 vertical tubes (legs).

Plus the typical Ultimate parts for fastening the bars to the crossbrace-tubes,- incl. all the screws.

Will be 16-20 of these parts, exactly same no. of screws and depends on design.

additionally 16-20 screws to fasten the bars to these parts mentioned above.

Sorry, I don´t know how these parts are called by Ultimate (and/or in english).

A.C.

Al, you can use a free image hosting service to upload and link to your photos:

http://www.Flickr.com

http://www.Photobucket.com

http://tinypic.com/

There are others, a Google search can find them. Most of them will let you upload your pictures, and then link to them on forums.

Hi !

Thx for the links. I´ve read this in the FAQ too, but I never used such a service up to now. I´m 53 and normally not so familiar w/ all the internet services. It might be, it would be much easier for me to mail a pic w/ some explanations in addition to someone who´s interested.

You cannot see too much on the pics anyway because the stand(s) are cluttered by the keyboards and cables anyway. Last year I re-arranged my workroom and you see all the single cables across the stands and keys,- doesn´t look professional. As we did the pics, we hadn´t in mind to present stands,- you know.

Best would be to do new pics from the 2nd stand, actually in stock in the garage, this without and w/ keys arranged in tiers as also in a completely set up form and in collapsed form to see the details. But this is some work which need some hrs. In addition, my MK80 is a large and heavy keyboard and I have probs w/ my spin column and sciata, so I´d like to avoid the schlepp factor. I worked w/ crewguys ever.

The pics I have, only demonstrate what you can do in principle w/ single parts from Ultimate Support instead of buying actually available stands and these days, I use a L-configuration stand (2 keys front stacked and 1 at right) anyway,- not 3 keys stacked in tiers. If I buy new keys, it will change again.

Maybe a compromize is the best deal which saves me time. I make a drawing, a text file, add one of my pics from my studio and mail it to someone.

I don´t need this file-hosting stuff really,- I also don´t have a website... :-)

A.C.

How 'bout this thing:

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=roland+vk-8m+stand&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

The bracket may actually be too small, but I like the general idea. Perhaps you can modify it somehow.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

How 'bout this thing:

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=roland+vk-8m+stand&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

The bracket may actually be too small, but I like the general idea. Perhaps you can modify it somehow.

Oy... that involves screwing the mount into the base of the VK8m... which has threaded holes for just such a purpose. It also mounts on the base of a standard drum stand.

So you're suggesting he drill into the base of his Minimoog? :freak::eek::evil:

Ahem... ;) . Seriously, though, that's a very small base, so he'd need to secure the Mini to it, somehow, so that it doesn't fly off the base when he plays at the high/low end of the synth.

....Oy... that involves screwing the mount into the base of the VK8m... which has threaded holes for just such a purpose. It also mounts on the base of a standard drum stand.

So you're suggesting he drill into the base of his Minimoog?....

Yipes! Gawd no. I was not aware of the "screwing" factor.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Wow, didn´t have time to check in for a couple of days because of preparations for the gig.

I finally (due to lack of time) had to do sort of a "last resort" kind of thing this time.

I took a Quiklok 2-tier X-stand, and reversed the second tier pointing out from the stand and then I turned the whole stand. Looked a bit weird, but did the job, since I had the Mini pretty much where I wanted it. I put a K-1000 on the lower tier (for our saxplayer).

The Rhodes is already on my right side.

In the middle I have a Fatar 88-note and a JX-10 over it.

On my left side a rack with a Solina on top of it.

That´s why I needed the Mini over the Rhodes and K-2000.

Also the mini was midied to the K-2000 and of course I wanted to tweak it easily.

Al Coda, please post some good pictures of your "invention"

Thanks everyone for your posts.

Arthur Schopenhauer

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/images/gallery/pile_of_keys.jpg

On a side note, HOLY CRAP, you keyboardists have a lot of freakin' gear to deal with. To be frank, it's really nice having one chunk of wood I carry around on my neck, and that's it. Granted, I don't have the tonal options you guys do, but life is a helluva lot more simple for guitarists.

P.S. Yes, I play keys too. But my "rig" is one 88-key synth and an X-stand. ;)

On a side note, HOLY CRAP, you keyboardists have a lot of freakin' gear to deal with. To be frank, it's really nice having one chunk of wood I carry around on my neck, and that's it. Granted, I don't have the tonal options you guys do, but life is a helluva lot more simple for guitarists.

Well, I'm guessing that photo was taken sometime around 1980, when gear was heavier and men were men.

Hey Analogoholic, sounds like you have a fun rig. I have a band that only gigs about once a month, and I take a setup similar to yours, depending on stage size. Last time, it was a table with laptop on my left, a dual Z stand with an Axiom and a Keystation in the middle, the Rhodes with a Nord Lead on top on the right, and a Minimoog on an X-stand at an angle in the corner between the Keystation and Rhodes. It's a fun gig, lots of improv, and I absolutely love having the Mini onstage, it's definitely the most improv-friendly synth I've ever owned. Plus, my band members absolutely love having all that vintage stuff onstage, they even help me move the Rhodes.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Yeah man, it´s a REALLY fun rig, but our leadguitarplayer always bugs me with the "why don´t you buy a laptop instead"-rap...and just because of that, I almost brought a Matchless-clone class A tubeamp for the Rhodes...

I usually go: "Yeah, next time I´m bringing a Hammond and two Leslies...yeah right, I wish...someday :)

The guys actually help me carrying the stuff...but hey, we gig 1-2 times a year with this band so...

New&Improv, do you have a picture of your rig?

Would be cool to see how you position the Mini

Arthur Schopenhauer

Guitarists have it easy. That rig is big right there but even if you have just a two keyboard rig you've got to have both your keyboards, your stand, bench, sustain pedal, midi cables, instrument cables, not to mention if you bring your own speaker/amp system with a rack...

my guitarist has his guitar plugged into his fender deluxe and is jammin when I've only just lugged my 88 key out of the case and onto the stand :(

On a side note, HOLY CRAP, you keyboardists have a lot of freakin' gear to deal with.

HA! Well then, let me show you the rest of the rig. That was only the front line.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/images/gallery/back_line.jpg

Out of the pic and not shown: custom Leslie lowboy for the Hammond and a 3 way biamped JBL cabinet for the synths and piano.

All told I carried about 600 lbs worth of gear. This was in about 1979-1980. The 8 piece horn band band was permanently on the road, playing 2 week stints. We also carried a big JBL PA with double scoops, an elaborate lighting system with fresnels, ellipsoids, and follow spot, plus pyro.

Moe

---

And most of us guitar players whine about a 9-1/2 pound Les Paul on our necks! :D

Another side note: you can tell when a band is cool when the guitarists are not noodling during setup, and instead are helping the drummer and keyboardist get their stuff together. :)

While the singer polishes his nails. :laugh:

Archived