Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

your first ever Keyboard Magazine?

zephonic

Mine was either the June or July '88 issue with Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea on the cover. The next issue had Kenny Kirkland and Delmar Brown on the cover so I was hooked. Unfortunately, availability became problematic in the 90's and now it's nowhere to be found at all in the Netherlands. No kudos to the publisher/distributor!

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember it like it was yesterday. July 1995 (or sometime in summer '95) with Stevie Wonder on the cover. I loved the mid-late '90s Keyboard - Fred Hersch solo piano, Richard Leiter's composition column (he put Guillermo Klein on my radar years before I ever appreciated who he was), Dave Stewart's column (did the same thing for Django Bates), extensive master classes, and more.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Issue #1 for me, too. PLUS in the first issue zephonic got with Herbie and Chick on the cover, I was mentioned. Remember the patch of the month thing....I had a bass patch for the memory moog in that issue.

Dammit.

It's one of those things that wifey just doesn't understand.

I had boxes and boxes of Keyboard Magazine in the basement. Probably a few in the attic too.

Wifey considers them trash.

So just to piss her off, now I keep everything. :mad:

Sure, some would say that it's a problem. I say it's f'n golden. :)

Who better understands me but me? And who understands why in the hellopete I'd keep boxes and boxes of Keyboard Magazine other than you guys and Sue?

I swear I'm not mental... :rolleyes: OK, not over-the-top mental. :freak: I just love going through the old issues, reading the reviews, staring at the ads, thinking where I was and what I was doing when those synths were for sale in the stores. :)

Wifey? She don't care.

Thank God for you guys. I know you got my back here and that I can call on you to plead in my defense when she puts me on the stand in divorce court.

Just another reason we all need to stick together.

Tom

PS And that picture of Jordan there on the right. Why is he frowning at me? Is he that intense... really? How 'bout on a Sunday morning when he's still in his PJs reading the paper and drinking a cup of coffee with his cat curled up on his lap?

Still intense like that? :rolleyes:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

The first one I remember that really stood out in my mind (and Ive been trying to buy another copy for years) was the March 79 issue with Virgil Fox on the cover and Eddie Jobson on the inside. But this was by no means the first one.I had a couple boxes full of them that were destroyed by a flood in the 80s.

Looking at the covers, I know I have some of the issues from 1977 still, if not all of them.

Still need that March 79!

T

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Whatever happened to FREFF?

acctjm

Wow, haven't thought of him since...well...the eighties! Keyboard's very own antagonist.

Come to think of it, I think I learned English mainly from reading Keyboard mag :-)

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I go back to the early eighties. I used to have ALL of my back issues...but when you move as many times as I have in the last few years, the weight and space became to much to keep them. :(

This makes me remember SOUNDPAGES. Somewhere I have a cassette tape with all of my favorites.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I also have a very clear memory of my first one that I bought from local store Boykin's while salivating over synths that I was just discovering. My first one was the Keyboards in Japan issue, bought along with the Kate Bush and the one with the artist paintboard on it. This was mid-'80s, perhaps 1984 or 1985. I very quickly got a subscription and have been getting them in the mailbox ever since then. I went back and collected all the other back issues over the past 10 years and have had a full collection since about 3 or 4 years ago. I have all the Soundpages as well. All my KB Mags are sorted into boxes by year on a dedicated shelf in the basement. There's a photo of it somewhere on this forum.

I still get really happy when the KB Mag arrives each month, usually around the 20th! Time to check the mailbox.

Regards,

Eric

I think the first one I picked up was the one with Philip Glass on the cover, perhaps around 1988. Then I found out who he was. :freak:

(I say I think, because I later bought a few back issues, some that dated close to that time, so that throws me off.)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

My first copy of Keyboard magazine had Joe Zawinul (RIP) on the cover. :)

The magazine was a bible for about 15 years or so. I'm thankful to them for this forum. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

My first issue was given to me by a friend in the early 80's...Jonathan Cain was on the cover sporting the Lync keytar. My friend's father owned a plastic company that manufactured the control panel piece.

The first issue of Keyboard that I ever held in my hands was the Jonathan Cain cover issue from the early 80's. My most favorite soundpage was the Dave Stewart/Barbara Gaskin song "Henry and James." It was one of the songs from their new CD "Up From The Dark." I have never been able to locate that CD - sure wish I could.

www.cityprayz.com

www.thesalvationpoem.com

The only one I have left is December 1986. I had more before that. It was my birthday and it has Roy Bittan in it. I still read that interview today.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I have issue #208, August 1993 here at work, in my desk drawer.

It's the one with the Donald Fagen interview.

I reference it often. :)

I know that surprises many of you.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived