Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

By listening to both versions again, an alarming thought emerged: This melody is so strong, for the the better or for the worse, that it will survive any reharm - it's a bit like trying to reharmonize "Happy Birthday".
I remember Stravinsky did a pretty good disguise of Happy Birthday, but you're right - Misty is Misty - unless you slowed it down to the point where the notes no longer connect mentally. :grin: I considered doing that, but wouldn't have had the patience.
Maybe it's better to leave it alone...
Well... that was my initial assessment. :freak: But thanks to your adventurous playing, I got the nerve to try it. It's all your fault. :laugh: It was fun.

Do not play this tune in public.
D, that's one request I can honor.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, it's as slow a molasses and played less than stellar but I managed to chisel this out.... I went to see Janis Ian last night and I'm still recovering from my gigless evening's night out!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (see below)

doesn't work****

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

SK,

Did it work, you get it?

I can't figure something out w/my files right now!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Nice ideas in your reharm, LB! :thu:

To my ears, it sounds a bit like the aforementioned bebop pianist is now totally alone in the club, meditating about his life, just before the club owner is ready to close the place and send him home...

:D :D

Marino,

Funny you should say that!

Yeah, I have played some uninspiring gigs in my day and I have been meditating about things musical lately in terms of my life! I just want to stretch more now!

My awareness of some things has become 'almost' disturbing in terms of what people (players and non) perceive of music. Myself included!

tru tru!

lb

Nice ideas in your reharm, LB! :thu:

To my ears, it sounds a bit like the aforementioned bebop pianist is now totally alone in the club, meditating about his life, just before the club owner is ready to close the place and send him home...

:D :D

Do not play this tune in public.
D, that's one request I can honor.

Nah, I think you and Carlo have figured out the appropriate version to play live.

Note to self is avoiding the cocktail version of 'Misty'. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I could not agree more about Trane's "I want to talk about you". Too bad very few people play it. But I do love Errol Garner's rendition of "Misty" as well, cocktail or not. I just hate those stick-on lyrics, they kill the song. Helpless like a kitten in a tree? Puhleeeze....

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I'm sorry, I'm out to lunch today. I listened to the tune again tonight. I think I have some explaining to do. I seemed to be in a state where I embraced my imagination. Like an abandonment of forms - more free. I can only describe the energy that way.

I knew they were voicings and would work out to be something after some unknown process working off the basic chords which was working off a 'weird' mood tru tru. But I gave myself a break and let it go and I followed and became immersed.

I think I had harmonic gas build up, was time to let it go or take another tums! it took shape in about 4 - 5 min.

Weird, I agree! I didn't try to do too much!

used my ears to guide me! I've been searching out some harmonic ideal lately this is just how it came out!

That was cool, LB. A few surprise voicings I really liked. It's weird... a straighter rendering of the song actually sounds more bizarre to me now. :)

You know, we're now heading towards a KC Comp CD called "The Misty Files".

Who else is in? :grin:

Oh, I respect Errol Garner. I wouldn't call his version cocktail exactly - it was really just Errol Garner. It became a cocktail piece by every working piano player because of it's popularity - sort of like the 'National Anthem' of night clubs and bars for years.

Exactly. Garner is great; he's just like wrapped in that style, like Mozart is wrapped in 18th century's court style. Under that cheesy surface there are huge peaks and valleys of emotion and musicianship.

There are beautiful jazz renditions of Misty; Stephane Grappelli's comes to mind. Maybe if Coltrane would have left us a meaningful version, today that song would not be identified with piano bars.

Weird, I agree!

No, no... LB, your playing wasn't weird at all. I just mean't when I hear the straight tune now, it sounds stranger to me than the reharms. I think I sort of stretched the tune out of my head. :freak:

Yours was more of an ethereal version - I enjoyed it. Sorry I wasn't clear about that.

I agree Carlo, Errol Garner was his own thing.

kanker, right. It predated "Misty", but I'd forgotten it was Billy Eckstein. Coltrane's musical voice on the various versions of that tune was so full of integrity, it almost sounded like a totally different progression.

For anybody interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR9ixWP-P9I

Nearly forgot... a slightly more serious effort, here's the "Dolphin Dance" variations I tried the other night:

http://stashbox.org/504237/impressions%20on%20Dolphin%20Dance.movClick on file name if it doesn't load.

I put it through some different paces/concepts and more traditional jazz. Bass added mostly afterwards. The 'world's most omnipotent bass player', since the left hand knew what the right was doing. :)

I'd really enjoy hearing any different versions of this song from the reharm gang.

Steve,

No apologies SK I know how it was offered (weird)! I like weird and stretched out!

Carlo, I loved your story about the Bebop piano player, made my weekend for me! :cool:

Thanks!

Tony

Weird, I agree!

No, no... LB, your playing wasn't weird at all! I just mean't when I hear the straight tune now, it's 'weird'... it sounds stranger to me than the reharms. I think I sort of stretched the tune out of my head. :freak:

Nothing to explain, man. Yours was more of an ethereal version - I enjoyed it. Sorry I wasn't clear about that.

I agree Carlo, Errol Garner was his own thing.

kanker, right. It predated "Misty", but I'd forgotten it was Billy Eckstein. Coltrane's musical voice on the various versions of that tune was so full of integrity, it almost sounded like a totally different progression.

For anybody interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR9ixWP-P9I

Gangsu,

Well I do relate to the title! [Happy Madness]

Haha, I knew you would.

Anyway, wanted to mention I've listened to the Misty, Murky, Musty variations. And I always thought I liked that tune...

LB, you have a really sweet way of expressing insanity. ;) It's tender, it's fragile. I relate. Marino and SK, on the other hand, I dunno. :D I think they need to get in touch with their inner female. :D Nothing 'helpless' there that I heard. Strong. Decisive. Funny!

Steve, I downloaded and listened to your Dolphin Dance variations. I really don't know what to say. You have a deep connection with your music that defies comparison. Beautiful tune! Thanks for playing.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Steve!

Dolphin Dance is fantastic. Amazingly beautiful, very well played, full of ideas. The piano sounds good too. The bass won't fool most musicians, but that's about the sound, not the performance.

A definite keeper! :)

G Gangsu,

Are you saying that I'm some sort of happy twisted transvestite of a piano player?

I'm all man,come down to one of my louder blues gigs and Mr. Macho (sort of) is present in all his glory (this has NOTHING to do with SK and Carlos at all)! It's the 'in-between' I'm after, that and just becoming a better piano player! I may leave a little 'sensitive pony tail man' in though for sh!ts and giggles)... Ahh!, I don't wanna think this much, scratch all this!

Jazz is not supposed to be sentimental I'm being taught! It's supposed to be about more 'vital' things in it's essence! But what you get out of it as a listener is what you get out of it, at that point I'm out of the formula!

Carlos by the way, I've been listen to 'Piano Possible' quit a bit lately! Great CD man . ! I need to PM you!

Gangsu, I like to go both ways! :love:

lb

Gangsu,

Well I do relate to the title! [Happy Madness]

Haha, I knew you would.

Anyway, wanted to mention I've listened to the Misty, Murky, Musty variations. And I always thought I liked that tune...

LB, you have a really sweet way of expressing insanity. ;) It's tender, it's fragile. I relate. Marino and SK, on the other hand, I dunno. :D I think they need to get in touch with their inner female. :D Nothing 'helpless' there that I heard. Strong. Decisive. Funny!

G Gangsu,

Are you saying that I'm some sort of happy twisted transvestite of a piano player?

I'm all man,come down to one of my louder blues gigs and Mr. Macho (sort of) is present in all his glory (this has NOTHING to do with SK and Carlos at all)! It's the 'in-between' I'm after, that and just becoming a better piano player! I may leave a little 'sensitive pony tail man' in though for sh!ts and giggles)... Ahh!, I don't wanna think this much, scratch all this!

Jazz is not supposed to be sentimental I'm being taught! It's supposed to be about more 'vital' things in it's essence! But what you get out of it as a listener is what you get out of it, at that point I'm out of the formula!

Carlos by the way, I've been listen to 'Piano Possible' quit a bit lately! Great CD man . ! I need to PM you!

lb

Hah, I'm quoting this post in it's entirety before it gets edited down to nothing. :D Always enjoy your thoughts, lb. Darn, I wonder what I missed already.

So jazz is not supposed to be sentimental! I didn't know that. Then you better stick with tunes that have no lyrics.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

gangsu,

I'm not changing a word and haven't (yet). Yeah, it's, as I've been taught ones supposed to live in the moment. Over sentimentalizing it has too much 'emotion' in it and in a weird (there's that word again) way, too much mind. You have to think of a 'past' to be sentimental.

Feeling is a different story, that can be present tense!

Well, thats one view I suppose.

But boy, I do sound sentimental at times I feel. But I'm not thinking of anything consciously.

G Gangsu,

lb

Hah, I'm quoting this post in it's entirety before it gets edited down to nothing. :D Always enjoy your thoughts, lb. Darn, I wonder what I missed already.

So jazz is not supposed to be sentimental! I didn't know that. Then you better stick with tunes that have no lyrics.