Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

"Birdland" is not one I would have thought to try, only since it's so definitively Zawinul.

You did a good job, vicsant, of changing the voicings to be more personally expressive for you. That's what it's about, and the useful thing about reharms - they open us up to try new approaches.

I hope more harmonic experiments are posted, to keep this long time thread going. The forum shows that time is needed for learning gear, reading manuals, sharing info, etc., and then there's a time to finally sit down and play some music.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and the useful thing about reharms - they open us up to try new approaches.

I also notice that the more one reharms, the "easier(?)" it gets...It's still a lot of trial and error to get something that you like...but you're right....we get to try new approaches, and more important, our ears begin to open up more!

and then there's a time to finally sit down and play some music.

I need to spend less time on forums too to get to play more, but then, forums like this are invaluable. This reharm thread has really got me into more reharms, and I'm constantly amazed by the contributions made by the reharm gurus here!

:thu:

It does get easier, the more you do it. It's really just a simplified type of composing, except you already have the basic song.

More important than just finding new things to play is finding out what you really want to hear out of a piece. Choosing a mood and keeping it in character through the song. Trying to make a song more your own.

I never play some unique pattern of chords on a song just because they can work. I don't extend the same voicings over long stretches of a song, even when they work, because it stops speaking and becomes predictable. You can academically reharmonize yourself into a corner too, and then you've lost the musicality. Sometimes a simple triad is the strongest choice.

Anyway, those are some things I've noticed from trying reharms in this thread. Prior to the thread, I'd done an occasional reharm, but never really thought about it. Of course, it's best to use these tools to write your own stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

A sedate, mild reharm of "In Summer", also known as "Estat`e" - but I couldn't get the punctuation mark to go over the 'e'. L/R hand bass/piano played together over drum track, flute patch and strings layered afterwards.

I hardly ever do bossas now, but thought I'd give this one a try.

http://stashbox.org/494649/In%20Summer.mov

A sedate, mild reharm of "In Summer", also known as "Estat`e" - but I couldn't get the punctuation mark to go over the 'e'. L/R hand bass/piano played together over drum track, flute patch and strings layered afterwards.

è can be found in the Special Characters palette. I know, who ever bothers looking in those drop down menus at the top of the page. :)

Nice, SK. The sun's barely up, the coffee's fresh, it's a good mix. Room to breathe.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Thanks Dave and Sue. Thanks for listening too - I didn't know if anyone checks out the reharm thread these days.

There was that temptation to keep it very minor, because it's such a great minor tune. I just resisted the absolute 'minorness' to make it different.

I'd enjoy hearing a version from you too, Dave, when/if possible. I'd love to hear a different perspective.

A sedate, mild reharm of "In Summer", also known as "Estat`e" - but I couldn't get the punctuation mark to go over the 'e'. http://stashbox.org/494649/In%20Summer.mov

Very nice, Steve. I love the changes, especially at the beginning, and the percolating strings/flute "arrangement". Frankly, I wouldn't miss the machine-like drums if you took them out... but of course I understand that they were there just to give you some rhythm to play on.

Btw, Estate (the word) doesn't need any punctuation, or apostrophe, or anything. Estate (the song) was written by Bruno Martino, and the title is of course Italian for "Summer". :)

Thanks vicsant and Carlo. It was just a direct computer recording from the Roland FP4.

Yeah Carlo, I wasn't going for absolute perfection there and didn't know if I'd post it, but I tried to use the minimal, least obtrusive percussion for a backdrop. I thought a beat might make it more listenable for some people. So I agree - it didn't need percussion at all. I could have done a better job on it too, but for reharm it's fine.

"Estate" it is. ;) Thanks.

Steve Man,

Very nice feel and sound on 'Summer', I dig that kind of groove and it's one that I can just about pull off myself with some degree of success at this point so I really related to it! I checked you out on the live CD 'One Man's Blues' recording and there is absolutely no way I could even come close to that level of playing. Really excellent recording!

I know there are alot of EQ setting and parms on the FP-4 and I have set mine up to a certain satisfaction but how did you set your FP4 up EQ and parm. wise. Anything special that you felt really brought the instrument up a notch or two. What piano patch is that, the #3 piano?

http://www.artsjournal.com/postclassic/press_any_key.jpg

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

First, Piano4U, thanks - I liked the bass player too, especially since I got him so cheap. He makes a cameo appearance at the bottom right corner of my pic. As you see, we're both selling out now, finally putting ourselves in an avatar.

LB, cool cartoon. :thu: I was just a 'lowly' sideman' on that old CD, but thanks!

I did some extensive tweaking to the FP4, mostly noticeable in tone and extra volume. I can send you the parameters in a PM. I'll do that soon - it's a bunch of them. (If I forget, please remind me.) You can save it as a registration if you like it, and still keep your settings. I'd put them here, but I've given them out so much, maybe I should consider putting them on EBay for $19.95. :idea: (nah)

I used the piano 1 patch on this song, but the split bass frequencies made it sound like piano 3.

As you see, we're both selling out now, finally putting ourselves in an avatar.

In my endless naiveté, I thought avatars were for showing our faces to each other... :D

He makes a cameo appearance at the bottom right corner of my pic.

:D :D

In my endless naiveté, I thought avatars were for showing our faces to each other...

You know- you're probably right (which makes me beyond naive.) I just thought this face :) was close enough.

I guess what threw me off was Linwood's avatar - I distinctly remember him looking a lot different than that. :laugh:

Thanks Steve, I didn't know that you had posted them (FP4 settings), I suppose I could to a search and find them!

If you don't have to go to the machine to dig them out, fine for the PM, otherwise I'll just do the search. :)

First, Piano4U, thanks - I liked the bass player too, especially since I got him so cheap. He makes a cameo appearance at the bottom right corner of my pic. As you see, we're both selling out now, finally putting ourselves in an avatar.

LB, cool cartoon. :thu: I was just a 'lowly' sideman' on that old CD, but thanks!

I did some extensive tweaking to the FP4, mostly noticeable in tone and extra volume. I can send you the parameters in a PM. I'll do that soon - it's a bunch of them. (If I forget, please remind me.) You can save it as a registration if you like it, and still keep your settings. I'd put them here, but I've given them out so much, maybe I should consider putting them on EBay for $19.95. :idea: (nah)

I used the piano 1 patch on this song, but the split bass frequencies made it sound like piano 3.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I don't know if this is the 'right room' for that tune, but I'll see if I can find it.

the "right room".. haha. "Tunes your grandmother could dance to"?

Ah come on. You've thrown a million changes in there without letting on. I'll bet the soloist never knew what hit him.

But I wouldn't want to jeopardize your reputation. :D:wave: Have it your way.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Hi guys,

First posting in this thread; :blush: hope my post is in line.

I've been working on Stardust lately, as a request from a friend. Does anyone have anything fresh for that song? I like the original chords but the song is so long that they start to get repetitive by the end. One change I particularly like was (in the chorus) to use a bVII(#11)(13) in place of the V over the lyric "love was new" -it descends nicely to the V of ii.

How do you treat the first 4 measures of the chorus? This seems like a place that could use some movement - Gb root for three whole measures! Anyway, I'll quit prodding. Thanks for reading,

Drew

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

-Mike Tyson

Gangsu,

Well I do relate to the title!

(sorry I'm late, still catching up after a killer week last week, 2 much 2 do)

SK, you really ought to put up a link to Happy Madness. Legatoboy would love it! Well, I do.

Cool that I'm not the only one who digs up the dirt on you guys. ;)

Hi guys,

First posting in this thread; :blush: hope my post is in line.

I've been working on Stardust lately, as a request from a friend. Does anyone have anything fresh for that song? I like the original chords but the song is so long that they start to get repetitive by the end. One change I particularly like was (in the chorus) to use a bVII(#11)(13) in place of the V over the lyric "love was new" -it descends nicely to the V of ii.

How do you treat the first 4 measures of the chorus? This seems like a place that could use some movement - Gb root for three whole measures! Anyway, I'll quit prodding. Thanks for reading,

Drew

Welcome to the reharm room. This is mostly for audio samples of reharms than chord discussion, but yeah, the chords do sit there for a while on Stardust. :tired: You could alternate between major 7's and major 11's, etc., 2 beats each on the first chord, but it won't really make it better. Best to just play subtle, supportive lines over the major 7.

Short of changing it entirely, I'd suggest not getting too artsy when there are better vehicles for exploration. Like Misty, it's a tune not many people are that into now, and those who are will prefer a more straightforward version. Most fortunately for me, my friends haven't requested either of those tunes recently.

Hey, go for it, Carlo. That could be fun.

I'm not sure I have the affection for Misty to pull it off musically beyond an academic reharm. A new version by you might change my mind.

I recently thought "Dolphin Dance" as one that could be a 'community reharm'. Dave Ferris is busy right now, but he may be up for doing a version. I'll do something on it, and you could think about doing one if you like.

Hey, go for it, Carlo. That could be fun.

OK. :D

I'm not sure I have the affection for Misty to pull it off musically beyond an academic reharm. A new version by you might change my mind.

Um, not likely... I did it without too much love for the song, too.

Misty, played more or less like a frustrated bebop pianist at the end of a long cocktail/lounge gig... :freak:

Complete with a number of fluffed notes. Guaranteed absolutely out of time. Coda with dominant cycle and *two* final maj7#11 chords at no extra charge!

Haha. Well, that's a different spin on it. I enjoyed it, well done. Favorite voicing: the F major 7 at the end of the first line of the bridge. At least, I think that's what I heard.

I may have to rethink my stance on this. I'll see if I can do one, but if it's not sick enough, I won't post it.

I'm doing Dolphin Dance now. It's not going to be as harmonically adventurous as your Misty, but it is a different thing.

Carlo and Steve, humorous takes on 'Misty'. I get the memo. Do not play this tune in public. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Ha haha! :D That's great, Steve. It doesn't sound really satirical to my ears - maybe just because it's played so well. Maybe when it goes into Scriabin territory in the second half, the irony shows more clearly. :)

By listening to both versions again, an alarming thought emerged: This melody is so strong, for the the better or for the worse, that it will survive any reharm - it's a bit like trying to reharmonize "Happy Birthday". Maybe it's better to leave it alone...

Anyway, I didn't oper the drawer called Diabolical Reharm Tools for this one (like I did earlier for All The Things You Are, for example)... the original intention of my version was to mantain most of the anchor points (except for that II V I in F major at the start of the bridge, which you've caught at first listen, but which goes back brutally to the regular Ab immediately), and surrounding them with the craziest amount of bebop passing chords I could squeeze in the empty spaces. :D