Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

Steve, I wasn't at all familiar with that Bill tune.

Yeah, sorry, it's way obscure - I learned it off an old Evans record years ago - never heard it played since.

For comparison, I just now played it (only the head) the way I remember the original to sound. It was a medium slow swing. Here:

original song groove:http://stashbox.org/537153/Unless%20It%27s%20U-orig.%20groove.mov

Hopefully my take will make more sense now: http://stashbox.org/536075/Unless%20It%27s%20You.mov

And yeah, sure, I'll try Name That Tune. :) ("name that reharm in 3 voicings." :cool: )

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carlo,

If thats Debussy's drunk and retarded grandson then I'll take a few gin and tonics to go! :whistle:

lb

it sounds like something played by Debussy's retarded grandson after a few drinks too much... but I don't have the time to redo it, so here it is.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Hey Dave F., still here. Mostly I just lurk as I've been too busy to comment on the latest "gear". But still heavily playing and teaching at the other forum on a equally large thread...Mom's still healthy and happy. thanks.

Now that I've got a Yammie P-155, maybe I can participate here too.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Hey Dave,

Oh man no, that's cheating.

who knows what that'll do! you know what cheating does to people!

That needs a whole new thread I think. . .

The Wind Tunnel...... or? no

'Our father who art in heaven hallow be thy name'!

The Blowing Room :cool:

Steve,

I was thinking about a new idea for the Reharm Room. Taking tunes that aren't too obscure, don't play the melody and just start with improvising on them. Kinda of a "Name that tune". So it would be a challenge (maybe) to identify the tune by just hearing the chord changes or movement of the harmony.

I was messing around with something this morning, maybe I'll try posting it later has to what I'm thinking of.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Steve I hear several more quotes. You got a great ear, very good improv.

All The Things You Are

Con Alma

Donna Lee

I'm Beginning To See The Light

In The Hall of the Mountain King

Mambo Italiano!

:D No... YOU have a great ear.

I wasn't aware of some of those. But damn, it's hard to play through a million 2 5's without some familiar melody coming out of you. :) Thanks.

LB, good to know you still remember me, my friend. I guess I've been hanging out more at PW because of my piano orientation nowadays...(remember, you invited me there?).

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Jazwee,

How could I forget the Lennie Tristano / Bill Evans Improvisational Memorial Marathon discussion we had, of course man!

PW has a nice forum. . . .it is very musical at times so I can't blame you! I do have a vague memory of tipping you off to it! Hmmm! Glad you back!

lb

LB, good to know you still remember me, my friend. I guess I've been hanging out more at PW because of my piano orientation nowadays...(remember, you invited me there?).

OK I got one, just to try to keep the thread alive. It's rather rough, just a turn the tape on and play kinda thing, more unharm than reharm... someday my prince will come.

Another lovely tune destroyed!

@beeboss: that's totally awesome!

+1 :thu:

Reharm, unharm, deharm, etc., it is great. Excellent twist on a common tune. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

BB, I liked that! :D

Between yours and that last one I did, the thread direction may be changing towards open playing, with more left hand counter lines than chords. It also fits with Dave's suggestion to play without a clear melody verse.

Now I'm imagining other familiar tunes/perfect victims. Not reharmed or destroyed; maybe restroyed.

Thanks guys.

Talking of reharm I went to see Martial Solal last night, absolutely amazing. There are not many players that can improvise reharm like that. And at 81 he has not even lost the edge of his formidable technique. Incredible. If you have never heard of him he is worth checking out.

I cannot access youtube right now but anybody digging Martial Solal has to pull up his trio version of "Green Dolphin Street".

While it was recorded in the 60s, the arrangement is hip. Solal blazes it. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, I never noticed this thread until just now. It's a great idea, but too many technical challenges at my end, at the moment.

Maybe I'll find time later to figure out how one posts to sites like YouTube and also how one can visit those sites without crashing everything (I generally avoid clicking any link with the term "YouTube" in it for that reason).

I sort of regret that I didn't really do any major reharmonisation for my KC 14 contribution. Mostly because I thought I was just in under the deadline. :-) Reharm is one of my favourite tools in arranging, so I look forward to eventually from learning from others here and enjoying what each other has done.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Mark, the few of us participating have managed to keep this thread going for a long time. Just drop a tune in here sometime. It doesn't have to be perfection, and the more input, the better - love to hear it.

"Beatrice" wouldn't play for me on the download site, Dave. I like that tune too, so I'd like to hear it.

I always 'heard' that song as a slower medium tempo. But I played it on a quartet concert with Joe Henderson once, and to everyone's surprise, he started playing it at lightning speed. Fastest version I ever heard, but it still worked great. I have a rough recording of that somewhere I'll try to find.

Very nice recording of the piano on "name that tune" - your best recording yet - the piano sounds good. You'll be able to eliminate any hiss with Logic, and remove the hiss from this recording by bringing down the upper EQ.

Your playing on this was very fluid and musical, nice groove, etc. Yes, I can name that tune, but I won't. ;)

Cool "Beatrice." That tune's a joy to play - I might spring for a version myself soon.

Speaking of "Name That Tune", I did this real quick (sloppy) "Name That Tune, No.2". It's open to anyone who can name it - it shouldn't be that hard.

In the 90's, I wrote a new melody on this song for horns. I couldn't really pull it off here without horns. The original melody is quoted in a displaced fashion somewhere within the new melody. Some chords are reharmonized.

http://stashbox.org/560383/Name%20That%20Tune%20%28STAW%29.mov

Well, If I guessed right, then Dave is really dropping some groaners in the above post...

I heard "Nice Work If You Can Get It" in there, Steve. But Dave, yours still has me baffled. I'll give it another try or two...

Sounds great, guys!

I actually didn't recognize it till the bass started walking and then you started blowing on the piano. No fair reharming, blowing and THEN trying to name that tune.

Nice Steve.

Hey, whatcha' mean "no fair"? - the blowing changes gave it away, just like on yours. :)

At least you recognized it. You win a free catalog of "New ways to spend money: ultimate microphones of the future." :D

I'm just realising that all the AC/DC arrangements I've been doing of late certainly qualify as reharmonisations (and reinventions), but I unfortunately can't share those yet as I must at least wait until the first few live shows are out of the way in September before daring to approach the show leader about letting anyone hear this stuff who doesn't live in San Francisco!

I have some older stuff I keep hoping to dig out this year. This year has been unbelievably productive, but much of that time has been towards the future and not the past. That is, projects for other people and not my own unfinished legacy stuff.

One of my favourites though, was a bossa nova version of ELO's "Don't Bring Me Down" that I did while I was still actively studying jazz theory a number of years ago. Maybe I'll clean that up, improve upon it given my current knowledge, and post it.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The "Nice Work" quote was a red herring, Lucas. That's not the tune. But thanks for trying - unlimited guesses available.

!! Darn, I caught that and then saw Dave's line about 'no matter how hard i try..." so I just went with it. That'll teach me to look for the shortcut! Back to listening...

haha, well, it's probably not fair, like Dave said. Plus it's a tune most of the world's population hasn't heard. And it's the first time we've tried this.

Outside of that, well... :) if you don't figure it out, I'll post the answer soon. Clue: the top of the last A section, the melody is quoted slightly rhythmically in reharmonized chords.