Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

SK

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's some really good piano playing going on around here! Linwood, DF, DH, Kad, SK, just to name some recent posters.

It's almost like dropping into your old favourite jazz club on the way home and see who's playing. Sitting at the bar, having a beer, and listening to some good playing and/or singing.

The RD700GX sounds good, Dave. I went to a music store the other day, took my AKG 240 Monitor's with me, and tried out an RD700GX, a 300GX, an FP4, a Yamaha CP300, a CP33, and a Kurz PC3X. The RD700GX is sweet. They're all good in their own sweet way.

Really nice Dave! Interesting reharms and great improvisation. I caught the little "Invitation" quote in Jitterbug.

Thanks Roger....boy you can't slip anything past your ears...haha.

Thanks Richard, yeah I might just keep the GX, after hearing the recordings again today, I'm thinking to myself...what's not to like?

It is hard picking one. Between the sound, touch and weight factors, it's a lotta stuff to think or in my case, stress about.

Here's one more I did last night.

Billy Strayhorn's "Isfahan":

http://www.divshare.com/download/4823731-dcc

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Dave, "Isfahan" is the best recording you've done yet. In fact, at the first few bars, I had to look at the title to see it was the GX and not your piano.

Nice, NICE playing on it. For some reason, it brought back another tune that I'd forgotten about I used to play: Mingus's "Ellington's Sound Of Love."

Another one: Monk's "Pannonica."

Yeah Richard, it does have a club feel in here.

I'm really behind in listening ... and paying deserved compliments. I'll try to catch up. I'm spending less time here because of the ankle biters; it just gets too tiring defending stuff that really shouldn't have to be defended.

I added a new mp3 to my site ... and dedicate it to those heavy metal\stainless steel players out there - you know who you are.

The tune is Lisa and was composed by one of those restaurant composers - George Gershwin. If I have the time I'll redo it and add distorted guitars and also a singer screaming the beautiful lyrics.

http://members.home.nl/davehorne/mp3/Liza.mp3

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Ooh baby, that's some pretty heavy sh*t. Must resist, must resist....!!!!!

And the name's LIZA.

(great sense of humor there, Dave. That's about as far removed from those ankle biters as you can get. Maybe we need to put up a sign on the old saloon.. Admittance Restricted. We're selling pure cornography.

The other restriction: leave the horse at the gate.)

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

You're right ... Liza. (I knew it didn't look right but it didn't register.) Fortunately no one will tell George.

I have a private job tonight (wealthy person's home with a Steinway grand) where I get to play all those tunes that are out of fashion. Lucky me.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Thanks SK.

I just finished listening to Dave Ferris playing Isfaham. I must confess to not knowing that tune. I could have played a big band arrangement of it, but if I did, I don't remember. Nice playing!

I also listened to a Singer Unlimited type version of a Beatles's tune. I very impressed by the arrangement and the performance by the singers. If I hadn't known, I would have thought it another Gene Puerling arrangement.

I played on a just tuned Steinway grand (a six footer I believe) last night for a private party. The job was a success - I was paid in cash.

Way cool this thread's still running.

Here's a contribution of mine: Billy Joel's "Just The Way You Are". Changed some chords an' this an' that.

By the way, Dave Horne, I write better lyrics than Ira Gershwin all the time. Here's some:

I like gals who are wise and precise

with wonderful thighs and deep blue eyes

I like gals who can sing and swing

who know how to dance like the real thing

I like gals who are pretty and witty

the rest is shitty, believe my ditty

I like gals with a certain style

while they're fresh and juvenile

:):wave:

The Dromb Bopper

Short and sweet, very nice! (And coincidentally, I was almost the 5,000,000,000th visitor to that site. This is my lucky day.)

I think George and his beautiful sister Ira are a tough act to follow .... though the following might give some food for thought.

Well, if I had to do it all over again,

Babe, I'd do it all over you.

And if I had to wait for ten thousand years,

Babe, I'd even do that too.

Well, a dog's got his bone in the alley,

A cat, she's got nine lives,

A millionaire's got a million dollars,

King Saud's got four hundred wives.

Well, ev'rybody's got somethin'

That they're lookin' forward to.

I'm lookin' forward to when I can do it all again

And babe, I'll do it all over you. ;)

Leberwurst, I wanted to hear more. Sounded good.

"If I Should Lose You" was so nice, Dave. I liked the mixed bag of stuff: the two hand lines, the Ab7 on the 3rd beat of the 3rd bar of the head going out, and those high descending F# "based" lines over the F maj7 in your solo.

I haven't been able to record recently, so here's a laid back trio video of the same tune I already had, from 9 years ago. http://www.divshare.com/download/3833272-28f

Of course, you play it differently in trio than solo. This one's pretty 'middle of the road' and potentially boring... not sure if I posted it here before.

Stupid video effects once added to it didn't help either. It's 9 min., so it may pause while it loads up - Aarrgghh.

Thanks man. Well, it wasn't the most varied or inspired thing we ever played, but there's always a few moments.

Yeah, Mike passed last year. Paul, the bassist is still with Tony Bennett. These sessions were in his basement, his piano, and the next room had 9 upright basses he'd pick from.

Glad you liked it.

Dave F, I particularly liked that sequence for a few measures before the last bar.

Since you and I have the same sample set, do you hear three or six (one or two samples) tones that are out of slightly out of tune in the top end of the piano but only when you use the sustain pedal?

The F#, an octave and a tritone from the top C, as well as the G and G# - one sample, are out of tune when the sustain pedal is depressed.

Regarding your tuner, a friend of mine who lives in Bonita (outside of San Diego, I believe) pays $ 95 per tuning and I thought that was a lot. He has a seven foot Steinway.

Here's a work not by me, but by a good friend of mine, jazz pianist Daniel Krautmüller. He studied in Berlin and Cologne with Frank Chastenier, current pianist of the WDR Big Band and Wolfgang Dauner, the famous German free-jazz pioneer.

Daniel did an amazing job on "Giant Steps" this time. Personally, I wouldn't believe you could make this tune sound new and fresh until I heard it: Giant Steps, or "Riesenschritte" , as he calls it.

The Dromb Bopper

Okay, experiment...

Not a reharm, but a recent original piece done in a very simple minor style.

My first recording of Eric's 700GX, so I thought it would fun to do something different. Split keyboard, left hand harp, right hand piano, in real time. I just now redid it, so this version is slightly better than the first link.

http://www.divshare.com/download/4881718-a56

What a devious mind.

The only suggestion I might make is that the harp be given sole rights to announce that devil's leap (yikes! it is kind of freaky). The split point's a bit vague. Actually it's not vague at all, it just needs to get out of the way ("floating split point" in Logicspeek).

Pretty clever stuff. Nice when the melody is sandwiched. "?" Maybe not the best word choice.

I like it. Harps can be bad too. :evil:

My first recording of Eric's 700GX, so I thought it would fun to do something different. Split keyboard, left hand harp, right hand piano, in real time.

http://www.divshare.com/download/4881718-a56

Yeah Steve, very nice. That GX has a typical Roland piano sound but sounds like it has more definition than the FP-4. That harp/piano split fits your piece very well too.

Thanks a lot, folks.

Yeah, Dave and I were on the phone trying to mutually figure out the 700GX menu when I had just come up with this tune. Dave patiently waited while I ran through it, to make a mental note of it during the call.

gangsu, I completely defer to your expertise on the harp. My experience with harp is limited to a sound patch button, where I pressed it and thought "OK, that's cool." :)

gangsu, I completely defer to your expertise on the harp. My experience with harp is limited to a sound patch button, where I pressed it and thought "OK, that's cool." :)

Right. As the harp expert, let me just whip up a proper version. :idea:

Uh, we're pretty happy with the way that turned out. ;):thu:

Hello all,

My home computer needs a new disk drive so I haven't been around for a while on the Forum. I should be up and running by next week...

Tony(lb)

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122