Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Roland RD-700GX PIANO (pics)

Jazz+

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope it "is" the ARX and not based on the ARX i.e. less samples...

I've read through the RD700GX manual in detail in that area and it looks very complete,so I'll be surprised if it's any different. There still is no manual posted for the ARX-2. Also, the RD offers more sophisticated ac. piano processing than what you'll find in the workstations (can't say for sure with the G, but it has been the case in the past). Also the RD has a bunch of new parameters for controlling touch and how it affects the sound. I think it's going to be a great controller.

Busch.

Yeah I was watching how the keyboard moved and it looked real nice.

Hard to tell about the tone of the acoustic pianos from the videos so far as they all seem a bit bright and clangy.. though expressive.. I guess its all down to customisation options and the RD seems great for that..

Would be interesting to hear those drum patterns... I could do with something like that in a band I'm in which is just keys, acoustic guitar, bass and percussion.. the odd number with drums would sound good.

Also the fact it plays mp3s is a great idea... I'll put all the Aebersold volumes I have on there ;-)

I've read through the RD700GX manual in detail in that area and it looks very complete,so I'll be surprised if it's any different. There still is no manual posted for the ARX-2.

The ARX-2 manual is available (hidden):

http://www.roland.com/manuals/en/index.cfm#List (search by name "ARX")

The RD-700GX and Fantom-G implementation of the Supernatural Electric Pianos is similar, except for:

-- a few adjustable parameters in the G that are not available in the RD (Hammer Response, KeyFollow, Bell Rust). Those represent like 3 out of 25 parameters in total, so I doubt RD-700GX owners will be missing much

-- the G implementation has a few more effects parameters

Underneath, both keyboards are definitely using the same "Supernatural" software (whatever that is).

Also, the RD offers more sophisticated ac. piano processing than what you'll find in the workstations (can't say for sure with the G, but it has been the case in the past). Also the RD has a bunch of new parameters for controlling touch and how it affects the sound. I think it's going to be a great controller.

I compared the Fantom-G manual with the RD-700GX manual, and the RD-700GX appears to have more piano functionality:

-- more piano samples

-- the "Piano Designer" sound features -- e.g. Nuance, Piano Lid, Damper Noise, String Resonance, Hammer Noise

-- Piano Designer control/touch features -- e.g. Key Touch, Velocity Key Follow (the G has only has a few of these control features)

The Fantom-G8 definitely does not have the "escapement" feature of the RD-700GX.

On the flip side, the Fantom-G has more synth workstation sound-related features like:

-- wider variety of sounds

-- synth engine for manipulating the samples

-- more effects

Comparing the two I definitely got a better understanding about how Roland differentiates a "Stage Piano" versus a "Keyboard Workstation" (I hadn't really looked at Stage pianos in detail before).

Stage Piano: highly focused on piano functionality (electric and acoustic), more direct performance controls (zone buttons and sliders, effects knobs, dedicated sound category buttons), easy midi and audio sound playback

Synth Workstation: wider range of sounds, deeper (and more consistent) sound mangling capabilities, more generic/assignable buttons and controllers, audio and midi sequencer

anuals/en/index.cfm#List (search by name "ARX")

The RD-700GX and Fantom-G implementation of the Supernatural Electric Pianos is similar, except for:

-- a few adjustable parameters in the G that are not available in the RD (Hammer Response, KeyFollow, Bell Rust).

I need my bell rust! ;)

Martin, are you considering crossing over to the dark side of Roland digital pianos ?

Just consider, you can sell your XR and buy the GX

:D

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I hope there is the possibility in the RD to really rough up the rhodes... maybe even add some leslie to it so its like Hal Galpers rhodes sound in the early 1970s... or Chicks wah wah rhodes on Light as a Feather...

Atm I'm gigging with a rhodes 73 + crybaby + preamp + Art MPX110.. if I could have all that in a single board it would be wonderful... also I miss playing acoustic piano tones...

Nice find, thank you

It an 'audience recording ' . I guess that quality will have to do

until we hear some good recorded demos

[70's Songwriter]

Martin,

Look at each of the AMP TYPES. There is a parameter labeled SPEAKER SIM (second from the bottom) and includes: LINE, OLD, NEW, WURLY, TWIN.

Busch.

Thanks for pointing that out. It appears you are correct.

I guess Roland decided to create a separate screen in the Fantom-G so it looks nicer.

Roland's usually have one piano sound that surpasses the others. From those vids, the Superior Grand he uses on the rock piano demo sounds best to me.

FYI, that patch/sample is on the SX as well

its extremely nice, especially with 'open lid'

[70's Songwriter]

I was initially excited about this new RD.....but now not so much after hearing the recent demos. I owned a RD700SX for a short time and returned it....it was just one of those things where it sounded really nice in headphones but sounded strange live with a band, even in stereo...just didn't cut. I also have used a SRX 11 in a fantom rack with similar results. It seems the new piano they've added is of the dark/classical sounding type, so I think I would have similar results trying to use it live.

The more recent Roland pianos (IMO) sound great for solo gigs and maybe a jazz gig if the drummer is playing on the light side....but not much else. My S90ES is not as inspiring to play solo piano on but it works in a track and with a band.

Anyone out there have success using a RD700SX with a pop, rock, or funk/R+B band, getting the piano to cut live?

They're heere...

These babies are starting to show up in stores already; had a quick look at one today over at Steve's music store while in Ottawa for the weekend (they also had the RD-300GX)

Can't wait to get back home to pick one up! :-)

Question for you RD-700GX experts.

Are there samples in the RD-700GX that are also in the SRX boards? In my "pondering" I am wondering what 2 SRX cards would go well with the keyboard, and I definitely wouldn't want to buy an SRX card that is already contained in the RD-700GX.

For example, does the RD-700GX contain the samples of the SRX-11 Complete Piano or SRX-12 Classic EPs?

try the "JD900" piano, I think that's what it's called. Fine for rock, pop and funky stuff. It's EQed to sound rather like a CP70.

YMMV though - I think Roland's "superior grand" and "ultimate grand" have less body, and when you play softer they sound thinner instead of softer, and I much prefer the S90ES main piano for jazz trio stuff.

I was initially excited about this new RD.....but now not so much after hearing the recent demos. I owned a RD700SX for a short time and returned it....it was just one of those things where it sounded really nice in headphones but sounded strange live with a band, even in stereo...just didn't cut. I also have used a SRX 11 in a fantom rack with similar results. It seems the new piano they've added is of the dark/classical sounding type, so I think I would have similar results trying to use it live.

The more recent Roland pianos (IMO) sound great for solo gigs and maybe a jazz gig if the drummer is playing on the light side....but not much else. My S90ES is not as inspiring to play solo piano on but it works in a track and with a band.

Anyone out there have success using a RD700SX with a pop, rock, or funk/R+B band, getting the piano to cut live?

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Are the "supernatural" rhodes just the SRX-12 rhodes with some beefed up cosm effects and amp modelling going on, or is there something more complicated going on?

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Question for you RD-700GX experts.

Are there samples in the RD-700GX that are also in the SRX boards? In my "pondering" I am wondering what 2 SRX cards would go well with the keyboard, and I definitely wouldn't want to buy an SRX card that is already contained in the RD-700GX.

For example, does the RD-700GX contain the samples of the SRX-11 Complete Piano or SRX-12 Classic EPs?

The GX has the sample from the SRX 11. The SX has it as well. Keep in mind the SRX-11 has a few extra 'patches '(sort of like

Korg's Programs)

No idea if the GX has any samples from the SRX-12. You might want to cross compare the patch names

I have the SRX-12 in my SX and like it a lot. I have a GX on order. Once I spend some time with it, I can decide if the SRX12 is a keeper or not.

[70's Songwriter]

Are the "supernatural" rhodes just the SRX-12 rhodes with some beefed up cosm effects and amp modelling going on, or is there something more complicated going on?

Roland literature states the GX "supernatural" EP's are sourced from the new ARX02 expansion.

I think this post topic covers this questions earlier on

[70's Songwriter]

Inputs are a very usefull feature for me. I always have a little portable CD player plugged into my FP4 either playing Aebersold play alongs or background music f\during breaks on gigs. I run the FP4 straight to my pair of EV Sxa360 powered speakers not even needing a mixer. This allows one less piece of gear to move (mixer).

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Bah. Just heard from the guy at the local music store that Roland only shipped 4 (!) RD-700GX's to Norway in the first batch. And the next batch won't arrive until April 20th. Argh, why tell me it'll arrive at the end of March if it's only four RD's _for_the_entire_country_!!?

orangefunk: I live in Bergen, the cultural centre of Norway (seriously). If you don't mind the 200+ annual days of precipitation, it's a great place to live. :-)

Archived