Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Roland RD-700GX PIANO (pics)

Jazz+

http://www.roland.com/products/com/RD-700GX/images/top_L.jpg

http://www.roland.com/products/en/RD-700GX/features.html

Here is some of what has changed from the old RD-700SX to the new RD-700GX:

1) Improved piano sound

2) New improved electric pianos (vintage Rhodes)

3) Ivory Feel keys with Escapement

4) Audio playback of WAV, AIFF, and MP3 files via USB memory; easy on stage control with Audio Key feature. Comes with Cakewalk Sonar LE software.

5) "Piano Designer" function for editing Hammer Noise, Damper Resonance, Duplex Scale, plus eight multi-effects processors

6) Three MIDI outputs, multiple zones for master-control functionality, 4 assignable Zone Level sliders

7) 200 rhythm patterns. Comes with Cakewalk Sonar LE software

The SX had 128 M bytes of wave ROM

The GX has 256 M bytes of wave ROM

The SX had 208 Normal Tones

The GX has 242 "Normal Tones

SX memory : 1 meg

GX memory: 4 meg

From Roland's site:

"Stunning 88-key stereo multi-sampled piano sounds

88-key weighted keyboards: PHA II Ivory Feel with Escapement

SuperNATURAL electric pianos for unprecedented realism (VINTAGE RHODES)

Audio playback of WAV, AIFF, and MP3 files via USB memory; easy on stage control with Audio Key feature

Piano Designer function for creating the perfect custom instruments, plus eight multi-effects processors

Three MIDI outputs, multiple zones for master-control functionality

Perfect Piano

The RD-700GX is anchored by Rolands finest 88-key stereo multisampled piano engine including a brand-new super expressive piano sound, with every note captured using a generous amount of wave capacity. In addition to the super-expressive onboard piano sound-sets, other essential instruments are built into these new pianos, including EPs. You can even customize and save your sounds for instant recall.

Perfect Touch

Your fingers will love the RD-700GXs top-of-the-line PHA II Ivory Feel keyboard with Escapement. This amazing keyboard technology reproduces the real surface feel of ivory acoustic piano keys providing a familiar stability and comfort to the pianist. The keys are designed to absorb moisture, ensuring a secure, slip-proof feel, even in the hottest stage environments where sweaty hands can spell disaster.

SuperNATURAL EP

Another distinguishing feature of the RD-700GX is its electric-piano sound bank derived from Rolands unique SuperNATURAL technology. Enjoy realism, expression, and control like never before with this special selection of EPs that provide amazingly authentic and organic tonal response.

USB Audio Enhancement

Play audio through the RD-700GX directly from a USB memory key. Flexible file compatibility enables playback of Standard MIDI Files, WAV, AIFF and MP3s. The "Audio Key" feature lets you use the bottom 15 keys for controlling start song, song length, etc. In addition, you can connect directly to a PC via USB and tap into Cakewalk SONAR LE software, included in every RD-700GX package.

Custom Shop

For those who like to get inside an instrument and customize its sounds, the RD-700GXs Piano Designer feature is your key to unlocking and personalizing the sound-set, down to the smallest details such as Hammer Noise, Damper Resonance, Duplex Scale, and more. In the RD-700GX, sounds can be further customized with the 8 channels of powerful onboard multi-effects.

Sound Expansion, Master Control

Expand and personalize the internal sound-set by adding up to two optional Roland SRX expansion boards, then take your music to the stage. The RD-700GX makes great master controller, thanks to multi-zone functionality and three MIDI outputs.

55 lbs. 2 oz.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/RD-700GX/images/info_04R_L.jpg

http://www.roland.com/products/en/RD-700GX/images/info_06R_L.jpg

http://www.roland.com/products/en/RD-700GX/images/info_06L_L.jpg

http://www.roland.com/products/en/RD-700GX/images/image_02_L.jpg

http://www.roland.com/products/en/RD-700GX/images/image_04_L.jpg

http://www.roland.com/products/en/RD-700GX/images/image_03_L.jpg

http://www.roland.com/products/en/RD-700GX/images/info_02R_L.jpg

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the new baby is $2395

I see the SuperNATURAL EP mentioned in the spec. I wonder if this is identical to the ARX 02 EP Expansion. I would hope so, given that the new GX does not take the new ARX expansions

So far, this is looking very good. Assuming the Acoustic Piano is massive and impressive

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

My guess is that they are using the FP7/FP4 samples but with a more "generous amount of wave capacity" (less compression) and running it now on a better "sound engine" processor. It will sound more detailed, more present, basically more "realistic". I bet the vintage Rhodes is from the excellent SRX-12 Expansion Board Rhodes, which sampled every note of a Rhodes for the first time, and will also benefit from a more "generous amount of wave capacity" (less compression) and a better "sound engine" processor. It will sound fatter, more detailed, more organic.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Interesting looking stand in those pictures. Another new release from Roland. . . .

CLONK HERE

Wonder how easy it is to set up/break down.

Noah

It's not new, but actually a re-issue of the stand that came with the RD1000 in the '80s.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I had the pleasure of meeting the infamous Eric, Mark, and Busch along w/ DB at the Adam booth.

I went down to check out the Roland, but like Busch had told me, there were none available to play....pretty lame!

I did play one of the HP (I think) "home" pianos that the new sample and action have been lifted from.

It felt and played good...it was actually really hard to tell because the booth opened up to sonic/drum hell. You couldn't hear what was going on! What's new...it's Namm.

The Roland guy told me the piano sound was indeed improved from the FP series. He said the 700 was similar but an improvement on the FP7, ditto the 300 to the FP4. Again very hard to tell w/ all the over the top ambient noise.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

I really wish these manufacturers would just cut to the chase and tell us what exactly improved.. like, "we're now using less compression", or "there's different release samples for 3 velocity layrs now", or "we went back to samples we got from the same session that the RD700sx samples were taken from, and compiled a more robust sampleset with more velocity layers"..

this is fairly common practice in the software sampler world.. it's frustrating to not know what exactly happened. I mean, what's this "SUPER NATURAL" crap? Those words mean absolutely nothing. Might as well call it "Humongous ChiChis". Who the heck cares if they feel that something is "real, expressive, and authentic". Again, those words mean absolutely nothing.

I watched a long demo of the RD700GX at NAMM today and had a very long talk with Busch & Markyboard about it (they actually played it for a minute). I could not get near one either of the ones they had, because the Roland reps were doing non-stop demos.

The ability to load and trigger loops/mP3s was getting a lot of mention in the demos. It was pretty cool. The action is supposed to feel "ivory-like" with a bit of texture to it and Markyboard told me he could feel escapement. They have the new "Supernatural" thing which is allowing for tine distance/placement, modeling of different bell tones, etc. The demo showed some of this, but not easy to detect the nuances of it in the loud NAMM hall.

I did not get to investigate the RD300GX, but that is also a new one for Roland this year.

Regards,

Eric

I'd be extremely interested in any reports as soon as someone gets a chance to play the RD700GX. As a pianist I personally would love to hear about the touch and the new piano sound.

I've been trying my best to follow this thread, the thread "Roland's New NAMM Lineup?", the one "Winter NAMM 2008 Reports" and even "Roland acquires major share of Cakewalk..." and it seems so far there isn't much hands-on feedback about the RD700GX, and I haven't found any info about what the new piano is (memory size, source piano, etc.).

As a Roland fan and RD-700 user (not the SX but I do have the SRX-02 and SRX-11) the suspense over this new board is killing me...

H

Interesting looking stand in those pictures. Another new release from Roland. . . .

CLONK HERE

Wonder how easy it is to set up/break down.

Noah

It's not new, but actually a re-issue of the stand that came with the RD1000 in the '80s.

Thanks.

Noah

Here is the second tier for that stand

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=944&ParentId=39

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

That stand looks very deep front to back reminds me of the vk77 stand they use to do. How wide and deep is it?

So any RD700sx owners or Past owners(B) got any verdict on this new one? any big difference in new main pianos and the new

ep's to 700sx with srx 12?

Did Roland reps mention delivery dates yet?

So any RD700sx owners or Past owners(B) got any verdict on this new one? any big difference in new main pianos and the new

ep's to 700sx with srx 12?

Did Roland reps mention delivery dates yet?

I am interested in GX vs SX for sound quality as well

Clearly the Fantom G is a major step up from he X

But with the RD series, is the GX a more incremental step in sound quality vs the SX ?

What did you hear- in comparison to the SX ?

In terms of relevant specs;

The SX has 128 M bytes of wave rom

The GX has 256 M bytes " "

The SX has 208 Normal Tones

The GX has 242 " "

GX memory: 4 meg

SX "" : 1 meg

The SX appears to have the SuperNatural EP

[70's Songwriter]

I really wish these manufacturers would just cut to the chase and tell us what exactly improved.. like, "we're now using less compression", or "there's different release samples for 3 velocity layrs now", or "we went back to samples we got from the same session that the RD700sx samples were taken from, and compiled a more robust sampleset with more velocity layers"..

this is fairly common practice in the software sampler world.. it's frustrating to not know what exactly happened. I mean, what's this "SUPER NATURAL" crap? Those words mean absolutely nothing. Might as well call it "Humongous ChiChis". Who the heck cares if they feel that something is "real, expressive, and authentic". Again, those words mean absolutely nothing.

AMEN. Roland loves to put out open-ended marketing garbage but they can't answer the most basic questions. If they're going to continue to bark about "sampling every note" they could at least say of what.

AMEN. Roland loves to put out open-ended marketing garbage but they can't answer the most basic questions. If they're going to continue to bark about "sampling every note" they could at least say of what.

agreed, its ridiculous and trite

Its like me approaching a hot looking women and saying

' hey, I'm a black man from the waist down , boom chika boom-boom"

[70's Songwriter]

I mean, what's this "SUPER NATURAL" crap? Those words mean absolutely nothing. Might as well call it "Humongous ChiChis". Who the heck cares if they feel that something is "real, expressive, and authentic". Again, those words mean absolutely nothing.

[spinal Tap reasoning]I guess SuperNatural is like realistic breast implants.

So the new GX is like playing on natural feeling breasts![/spinal Tap reasoning]

:D

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Accurate Spinal Tap thought process.

I listened to the GX demo closely with accurate headphones, and I can hear an improvement over the SX/FP's even from that. There's a richer piano quality, not totally different from the previous models, but any improvement to an already nice piano sound is welcome.

They claim it's a "new sample" with a new sound engine. Despite vague terms like "Super Natural", the sound and feel is the thing here. I don't care how they describe it, as long as it satisfies.

A definite improvement, but not that much better (that I can tell) to replace our current FP's and SX's. I'd wait for the next generation of FP's to see how things develop. It's encouraging.

I've owned an RD 500 for over thirteen years so I will be looking at this with interest. I cannot believe they would demo it in mono though. That just seems ludicrous. Can't imagine other mfgs like Yamaha would even dare do that. They must have got behind in production if they can't have more than one on display. Maybe it's the prototype.

John

I am really really interested in how the keyboard feels, and when these might possibly be hitting the streets.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived