Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

wah pedals for keyboards

dfresh25

I wanted to hook up my keyboard through a wah pedal, but I don't know where to start. The only keyboard wah pedal I found was very expensive and was also a bass wah pedal listed here: http://www.music123.com/Musician-Sound-Design-EQ-2-Earthquake-Revolution-Mark-II-Bass-Keyboard-Wah-Pedal-155079-i1124882.Music123.

Does this mean all bass wah pedals work with keyboards. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I run my keyboard using clav sounds through a Dunlop Cry Baby wah and it seems to work perfectly. As long as you have a line out and a few leads you can run effects in your signal chain like a guitarist.

Nord Electro 3 -73 || Korg CX-3

You can run your keyboard through any wah pedal. This is done very commonly with clavinets, and less commonly with Rhodes and Wurlies.

I used a Bad Horsie for a while. I had a bit of a problem with it -- the output level of a keyboard is a lot higher than a typical guitar, so I was too hot for the pedal mostly. I had to turn my keyboard volume way down, and my amp volume up.

These days I just use the wah effect on my Nord Electro with the expression pedal on clavinet patches. Works great...

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

I use the Dunlop JH1B Jimi Hendrix Signature wah. This thing is ridiculous: clean, and has more quack than any wah I've heard since the 70s Coloursounds. I use it on my Motif 8 on eps and clavs. On my Electro, I use the built in wah effects controlled by a pedal.

Wah sounds cool as hell on the appropriate sounds.

T

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Any recommendations on a stereo Wah? I don't want to run the MOTIF in mono just so I can use a wah on a clav patch.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Any recommendations on a stereo Wah? I don't want to run the MOTIF in mono just so I can use a wah on a clav patch.

I haven't heard of a stereo one. You could only maybe have two of them, not so easy to handle (or footle?) but with the cool feature to have a different effect on each channel, you could make some cool stereo sweeps if you operate them in opposite directions with two feet.....

Anyway, if you can have a bandpass filter in your patch and assign an expression pedal to the cutoff you could achieve a nice effect inside your instrument, keeping the stereo path untouched.

I don't have the Motif, I only use Scope dsp synths, but any decent keyboard should have that possibility.

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

I have a Dunlop Cry baby and it sounds great when I play a rhodes thru it...

You could always program an auto-wah effect if you insist in running it in stereo...

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

I have a Dunlop Cry Baby as well, and I think it has balanced TRS inputs. (I don't have it with me at the moment so I can't check). So if you got a couple of Y cables (2 mono jacks to a single TRS plug) you should be able to use it in stereo.

One of the sickest wah sounds I know of is that of a Hammond through a wah pedal then into an overdriven guitar cabinet (or Leslie!) That sound is schweeeeeeeeeet.

-Rich

I used a Bad Horsie for a while. I had a bit of a problem with it -- the output level of a keyboard is a lot higher than a typical guitar, so I was too hot for the pedal mostly. I had to turn my keyboard volume way down, and my amp volume up.

I think you could also use a dB attenuator between the keyboard and the pedal to avoid this problem (and to avoid the risk of frying your pedal/stompbox).

Noah

I have a Dunlop Cry Baby as well, and I think it has balanced TRS inputs. (I don't have it with me at the moment so I can't check). So if you got a couple of Y cables (2 mono jacks to a single TRS plug) you should be able to use it in stereo.

One of the sickest wah sounds I know of is that of a Hammond through a wah pedal then into an overdriven guitar cabinet (or Leslie!) That sound is schweeeeeeeeeet.

-Rich

Balanced audio and stereo are two totally different animals. I don't think the integrity of the stereo signal would be maintained going through a balanced audio conversion.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I've actually been coming around to Kanker's way of thinking: I've been running my keys in mono live, and I can see where it really just helps define things. So the mono/wah thing isn't an issue for me.

But if it is, you should be able to assign the sounds you want through a wah pedal to assignable outputs.

T

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I just remembered the name of the wah that I dug that (unfortunately) is no longer in production - the DOD FX17 wah/volume pedal. The wah sounded good, the thing was built like a tank, and although I didn't need it with my D50 or DX21, it had a Control Voltage out.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Anyway, if you can have a bandpass filter in your patch and assign an expression pedal to the cutoff you could achieve a nice effect inside your instrument, keeping the stereo path untouched.

This is what I do with the S90ES. I typically use the dual bpf's. I have some clavs, polysynths and monosynths that I can send you. When you call up the patch or performance, everything is ready to go.

To get that nice vintage wibe ... my effects chain usually has an amp sim, and sometimes a mild vintage phaser or chorus. If I am sweeping cutoff with a pedal, I am also increasing the resonance at the same time. Takes a few minutes of experimentation to find your favorite filter settings, but once you've set them up ... life's easy.

Jerry

I use a Cry Baby 535 Q on my Moog Voyager live. It's a great color and kicks the Moog up a notch. You can hear that at the myspace link below on my band's CD song sample "RE:Bootsy".

It's also great on clav and rhodes. It is a mono wah, like almost every other wah. You can always use a stereo effect (phaser, flanger..)afterwards to get some spread. On that tune I used the Moogerfooger Phaser as well.

Anyway, here's a photo of what I use:

http://gig-fx.com/images/product/megawah/megawah250black.jpg

I send my entire signal chain through this pedal so that I can add wah to any and everything.

Notice the stereo INs as well as outs.

Carl

Archived