Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Suggestions for $3000 keyboard that looks like a mini grand?

KenElevenShadows

I have an acquaintance who is looking for a keyboard. Although I am a keyboard player, I really have no clue about what's out there. Any suggestions? And she is apparently really wanting something that is shaped like a miniature grand piano and says aesthetics are very important to her. The keyboard should have some sort of output for karaoke / recording (I would think most would have this, no?).

Thank you very much for your suggestions!

This is what she wrote:

Thanks for your help. I was looking for something around the $3000 range, either new or used, with brass, strings, winds and piano and organ variations on it plus all kinds of percussion sounds as well. I found a new Kohler and a used Technics and a used Panasonic, but if nothing turns up this week, I think I'll go with the Kohler because after the Holidays I get pretty busy and can't go shopping because the days get too full. What would be your recommendation on any of those? The Kohler has a plug in for headphones and microphone for the karaoke singing, plus the place for floppy disks if I want to use them. But the sound doesn't compare to the Kawai or the other Asian brands which cost from $7000 - $11,000 so I'll guess I'll have to compromise. They are all shaped like the traditional baby grand but only 3-4 feet in length.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
something that is shaped like a miniature grand piano .. aesthetics are very important

That's a conundrum alright.

Well, stay away from Suzuki.

(Happy Belated Birthday! Hope it was a good one :) )

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Yeah, I don't know anything about this sort of thing. I have mostly '70s and '80s analog keys and a Nord Electro II. Thanks.

If anyone has any suggestions, please lay 'em on me!!!

I would put a Roland FP7 or RD-700SX in a grand shell and add some really nice monitor speakers.

http://duelingpianos2go.com/SlamGrandPianos006.jpg

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 800 of Harry's solo piano arrangements and tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas These arrangements are for teaching solo piano chording using Harry's 2+2 harmony method.

I have an acquaintance who is looking for a keyboard. Although I am a keyboard player, I really have no clue about what's out there. Any suggestions? And she is apparently really wanting something that is shaped like a miniature grand piano and says aesthetics are very important to her. The keyboard should have some sort of output for karaoke / recording (I would think most would have this, no?).

Thank you very much for your suggestions!

This is what she wrote:

Thanks for your help. I was looking for something around the $3000 range, either new or used, with brass, strings, winds and piano and organ variations on it plus all kinds of percussion sounds as well. I found a new Kohler and a used Technics and a used Panasonic, but if nothing turns up this week, I think I'll go with the Kohler because after the Holidays I get pretty busy and can't go shopping because the days get too full. What would be your recommendation on any of those? The Kohler has a plug in for headphones and microphone for the karaoke singing, plus the place for floppy disks if I want to use them. But the sound doesn't compare to the Kawai or the other Asian brands which cost from $7000 - $11,000 so I'll guess I'll have to compromise. They are all shaped like the traditional baby grand but only 3-4 feet in length.

Kawai CP187 comes to mind- google it. Yamaha makes a comparable model in their extensive Clavinova lineup

Sounds like your friend has bumped into these-they are EXPENSIVE, roughly $7k-11k

Roland might also make a comparable instrument but I don't recall the pricing.

Do your friend a favor- tell her she cannot cheap out.

The route she is taking is a waste of $3000.

I suggest she consider a spinet ' look' with the Clavinova or kawai line for $3k

No other way around it

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

This has grand-esque styling...but it is not in the shape of one. Still, very attractive.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Images/WhatsNew/PACN100_WN_main_0327.jpg

err, saying the name of it would be useful

Is that the Nocturne ?

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I've passed these all along, so hopefully these'll help her out. Gangsu, thanks for the birthday wish!!

It sounds as though she wants something with arranger capabilities to accompany her while singing. She didn't explicitly state that but you can imply it from what she posted. The high-end Yamahas and Roland do this but are very expensive; not close to her price range. I can't really help other than to suggest she gets very familiar with the various models and waits out CL for an opportunity. And you can find it on CL. The thing is these instruments have a relatively poor resale as the market is limited.

Busch.

Yes, she wanted brass, winds, and strings, so it implies that she wants to do orchestrations. That's all the info I was given. And she apparently wants to buy the thing in about six or seven days because she said that she gets very busy afterwards and would not have the time to go looking. Soooo...well, I don't know her well at all, but we have definitely given her a few ideas, at any rate. We'll see what she does with them. At least she'll know to avoid Suzuki!! :D

P.S. What's "CL"? I'm sure it'll be super obvious when you say it...

Well, she really wants the thing to be aesthetically pleasing and look like a mini grand piano. Hey, not for me to judge. We all have different priorities. A couple of my keyboards look like they were ridden hard and put away wet. One in particular went through a garage fire...and survived. In other words, U-G-L-Y. Probably wouldn't want any of these in a posh living room!! :D

Archived