Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Returning to Forever....

cnegrad

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A quick visit to Youtube is helping me get educated. I enjoyed this:

RETURN TO FOREVER - VULCANS WORLD

Quite a rig Chick had in those days! Wonder what all those vintage keyboards would be worth today . . . .

Noah

P.S. Can anyone identify for me the keyboard that is immediately beneath the Minimoog? Chick plays it around 2:40 of the video.

A quick visit to Youtube is helping me get educated. I enjoyed this:

RETURN TO FOREVER - VULCANS WORLD

Quite a rig Chick had in those days! Wonder what all those vintage keyboards would be worth today . . . .

Noah

P.S. Can anyone identify for me the keyboard that is immediately beneath the Minimoog? Chick plays it around 2:40 of the video.

You mean the clavinet? He's playing thru an envelope follower to get that filter wah sound.

Moe

---

Return To Forever was one of the pioneering fusion bands along with Mahavishnu Orchestra, and was world famous at one point.

After looking at the lineup, I can certainly understand RTF's significance. I think I just grew up too late to catch that wave though, and, although I listen to plenty of bands that peaked before my time, I wasn't really a jazz fusion fan. (I also never heard of Weather Report before I started hanging around this place.)

Hey, what can I say? It's a definite hole in my musical knowledge. I guarantee you, though, that I can name at least as many 1980s hair metal bands as the rest of you guys. So I got that going for me...which is nice! ;):thu: :GRIN:

Noah

Hey, what can I say? It's a definite hole in my musical knowledge. I guarantee you, though, that I can name at least as many 1980s hair metal bands as the rest of you guys. So I got that going for me...which is nice! ;):thu: :GRIN:

Noah

:cool:

Always learning... tres cool Sir Noah. :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Considering how popular jazz is in Singapore, Thailand, Japan, Hong Kong and mainland China, maybe you'll get lucky and they'll add an Asia & Australia leg to the tour.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

[ I guarantee you, though, that I can name at least as many 1980s hair metal bands as the rest of you guys. So I got that going for me...which is nice! ;

Noah

wow, that would make for a fun trivia contest at 3:00 am Sunday morning

:D

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

We used to listen to RTF in my buddies car on 8 track!

Yeah. :rolleyes:

Wifey and I went to see RTF in Raleigh in April of '83.

It would have been a great concert had I gotten a chance to get settled in my seat.

Unfortunately, my wife, bless her heart, suffers from MIGRAINE HEADACHES. Oh man. Have you ever had a migraine headache?

Can you imagine sitting in an auditorium listening to RTF with a migraine headache?

So we had to leave.

I have a feeling that if I demanded that we stay, she and I wouldn't be married now.

Of course, after being married to me for 26 years these headaches come much more frequently. ;)

Yup. We walked out of a RTF concert.

Now that's TRUE LOVE. :love:

No wait... I'll say it -

Oh Brother. :rolleyes:

:snax:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Yup. We walked out of a RTF concert.

Now that's TRUE LOVE. :love:

No wait... I'll say it -

Oh Brother. :rolleyes:

:snax:

I'll say. On a similar note, I've always admired my dad for missing Super Bowl III to marry my mom. My dad, Alabama fan that he is, missed Namath vs. Unitas for my mom's hand in marriage. Well, she is quite a girl. ;) And at the time, he probably would have missed the game for a date in Vietnam were it not for the wedding, so it could be worse.

I am way, way looking forward to this concert! Come to Portland, boys. You can stay at my house.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Return To Forever was one of the pioneering fusion bands along with Mahavishnu Orchestra, and was world famous at one point.

After looking at the lineup, I can certainly understand RTF's significance. I think I just grew up too late to catch that wave though, and, although I listen to plenty of bands that peaked before my time, I wasn't really a jazz fusion fan. (I also never heard of Weather Report before I started hanging around this place.)

I caught both Return To Forever and Weather Report back in the '70s at the same theater in the round venue in Phoenix -- The Celebrity Theater. I also saw Gentle Giant there. All three were great concerts!

Return To Forever was touring Romantic Warrior at the time I saw them. They were tight as an ensemble and all four were great soloists as well. Also in the audience was a guitar player I didn't know at the time but later played with in a band in LA. We're still good friends.

I was fortunate to later play on that same stage in the '80s, but that's a different story.

Return To Forever was one of the all time great bands. It's good to hear they'll be reuniting! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

P.P.S. I'm in the last year of my 30s, so I figure I've gotta get all my "old" jokes out now while I still can. Next year, I officially join the ranks of the "fogies." (And yes, I know that 39 is already old to many, many people. Ugh.)

Noah

Noah,

I'm in the same boat as you, as far as age. For me, the big one hits next month. I'm very happy I don't feel old, but I keep seeing things that make me realize how old I am.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Noah,

I'm in the same boat as you, as far as age. For me, the big one hits next month. I'm very happy I don't feel old, but I keep seeing things that make me realize how old I am.

Joe:

Have a great birthday! Tell your friends to leave the black balloons at home. 40 is the new 30, I tell you!

Noah

Archived