Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Unknown Pianist

Starfriend

That could be the new college training method. Blinded by a sheet and not only that but having to play with the sheet over your hands! Try it at home. It might be easy?

It might be way cool with a little banjo..

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mean he wasn't going for silly in that video? god, I feel terrible. Unknown and misunderstood.

Hey SK, I would like to take this opportunity to pay homage to your Gold Member status! 624 posts. I wonder which ones counted. :D Cheers.

I've watched it again, and I confirm my impression. Especially at the beginning, the hands are placed too low on the keyboard for the notes that are heard.

Not that it would be so important, btw... :freak::)

I agree, it certainly does look suspicious especially at the beginning, but the closeups seem to show all those notes getting hit by his hands, I cannot deny.

And yeah the YouTube commenters are right, it does sound like Ruddess, noone else plays with that much needless flashiness.

Right. The 'unknown pianist' is definitely JR. Same acoustics in the room, same room, same piano, same arpeggio style.

Now the big question: WHY?

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Gee, it can't be a bad hair day..

Well, ya never know what's going down under the sheets. Maybe it's one piano, 4 hands.

Or 1 organ, no hands....

That's gotta be it. The Unknown Pianist is just plain cocky.

Now the big question: WHY?

The sheet is a fashion statement.

Britney shaved her head.

Same sorta thing, I guess. :)

Ummmmm, dint Jordan shave his head at one point?

Go figure.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

That's gotta be it. The Unknown Pianist is just plain cocky.

This is why we love gangsu on The Keyboard Corner.

Who else could have gotten away with saying that?

I WUVS U GANGSU. :love::wave:

Tommy

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Also the wrist angle is pretty low as you can see his right hand through the sheet sometimes.
That's one thing about Rudess' technique that's very dangerous. His wrists are so low that the likelihood of incurring some sort of RSI is so much greater than if his wrists were higher, so that the top of his arm is even with the back of his hand, a straight, continuous line.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I've watched it again, and I confirm my impression. Especially at the beginning, the hands are placed too low on the keyboard for the notes that are heard.

Not that it would be so important, btw... :freak::)

I agree, it certainly does look suspicious especially at the beginning, but the closeups seem to show all those notes getting hit by his hands, I cannot deny.

Mmm, it could be that I've been fooled by the camera angle; the top portion of the keyboard seems much greater from that perspective.

This whole thread has been very amusing. Only keyboard geeks would be facinated by such a discussion. :)

Personally, I believe the Unknown Pianst is Jordan Rudess, pretending to be someone else - who is impersonating Jordan Rudess. Thusly, he's impersonating himself, and he's finger-syncing to his own recording. :)

Regards.

Samick baby grand; Yamaha S90-ES; Ensoniq E-prime; bongos; tambourine; djimbe

http://www.mindseyeviewband.com/MindsEyeView/MEV.htm

Archived