Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A list of the "Must know" rock keyboard songs

payperclick

Aside from Happy Birthday, there are no such "must learn" songs. If there is such a list, it should be immediately destroyed because it only means that those songs have been played way too many times.

+1,000

God, how many bands have been thrown together and a songlist generated at the first rehearsal based on what elementary songs everyone could jam out. Same songs that they played 30 years ago. This goes across all styles, e.g. jazzers who only play the simplest from RB1. And then everyone bitches that live music is dead and there are no venues. Look in the mirror.

Busch.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aside from Happy Birthday, there are no such "must learn" songs. If there is such a list, it should be immediately destroyed because it only means that those songs have been played way too many times.

+1,000

God, how many bands have been thrown together and a songlist generated at the first rehearsal based on what elementary songs everyone could jam out. Same songs that they played 30 years ago. This goes across all styles, e.g. jazzers who only play the simplest from RB1. And then everyone bitches that live music is dead and there are no venues. Look in the mirror.

Busch.

I think you're being generous when you assume that they even rehearse. The problem that I have with these hacks is that they go into the same clubs that my "rehearsed" band plays and try to undercut the pay structure. They usually don't succeed but it fuels the fire during negotiations when the owner can say "I had a guy in here today whose band will play for half of what I pay you guys."

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Look in the mirror.
I just looked in the mirror my friend, and all I saw staring back at me was one goddamned handsome man. ;)

If you were modest, you'd be perfect.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Look in the mirror.
I just looked in the mirror my friend, and all I saw staring back at me was one goddamned handsome man. ;)

I doubt that was a mirror. You know you're supposed to remove the picture that comes with the frame.

Busch.

Oh, I forgot to mention - Dave Horne's over at my place...
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Of course, this thread leads back into the - do you play for the people or play for yourself controversy.

I am fortunate in the sense that my band can get away with playing primarily songs we want to play (songs that your average bar goer has never heard of) (that means we don't play any songs of the "must play" list). Sometimes we throw the crowd a bone, but when we do, we try to make sure it is a good one that we really enjoy playing.

+1,000

Busch.

I think you're being generous when you assume that they even rehearse. The problem that I have with these hacks is that they go into the same clubs that my "rehearsed" band plays and try to undercut the pay structure. They usually don't succeed but it fuels the fire during negotiations when the owner can say "I had a guy in here today whose band will play for half of what I pay you guys."

The side project that I'm working on now is the antithesis of that. We've all gotten tired of the local blues bands where one guy gets the gig, and then calls around to see who's available. I've done my share of these gigs, and I've gotten tired of it. The same old songs played the same way, just by a different group of people.

We've got 2 months of rehearsal so we can come out guns blazing doing stuff no one else plays. Some of the songs may be easy, but they're not the traditional I-IV-V stuff.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

quote by Garrafon:

"Of course, this thread leads back into the - do you play for the people or play for yourself controversy.

I am fortunate in the sense that my band can get away with playing primarily songs we want to play (songs that your average bar goer has never heard of) (that means we don't play any songs of the "must play" list). Sometimes we throw the crowd a bone, but when we do, we try to make sure it is a good one that we really enjoy playing."

You are quite fortunate if you can get away with playing what YOU like all night. The reason people hire your band is to play what THEY like to hear. There has to be a compromise if you want to find gigs and you want to enjoy yourself. There are a number of songs I won't play, there are others that I can't sing like the person on the original record, so I don't play those tunes. I don't want to do a poor job on a song that I know I can't do well. I play "some" songs just for me, but I focus on entertaining the people that hired me. That has worked out pretty well over the years. I get repeat gigs for private parties when people enjoyed what I played and how I played them. And no, I wouldn't make it in a hip-hop club.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Look in the mirror.

No accounting for taste. :freak:

;) Merry Christmas, bro! :D

You should see me on Sundays, resplendent in my #88 Marvin Harrison jersey, waiting for them to say for sure that he's not playing again this week. I'm absolutely breathtaking....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Hey Jude

Let It Be

You could add a few more Beatles classics like Get Back and Lady Madonna.

Lights

Faithfully

I'll risk flaming but who are these by? Journey? Then what about Lovin Touchin Squeezin?

Eminence Front

Won't get Fooled Again? Baba O'Reilly?

I'll age my self and add a few others:

Bloody Well Right / Supertramp

Come Sail Away / Stynx :)

Pump It Up / Elvis Costello

Sweet Lorraine / Uriah Heap

Women From Tokyo /DP

Just beat me to it Dave

I'd add a couple of our current songs that seem to be going down well like:

Kids in America

Praise You (Fat Boy Slim)

Rock Lobster

Faith (we do the organ intro)

Cherry Cherry

I like to move it, move it (except The Wurly which can be a bit temperamental and the 122 for obvious reasons)

Archived