Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slow Blues/Rock Organ Playing

montunoman

I just came up in iTunes, and I'm tripping to it right now-

How about Since I've Been Loving You on Led Zeppelin III. I know most people don't think of keys when they think of LZ, but JPJ is a killer keyboard player (and not a bad bassist, either! ;) ).

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
Bruce Katz is very good. Some albums are straight blues like Mississippi Moan.

You can check out a range of MP3s at his site. Your band mates probably want you to play somehing like this on slow blues?

http://www.brucekatzband.com/mp3s/mississippimoan.mp3

http://www.brucekatzband.com/mp3s/A_Deeper_Blue/02%20Greasy%20Sticks.mp3

http://www.brucekatzband.com/mp3s/three_feet.mp3

I liked him with Ronnie Earl and I liked him solo. He does some nice Gospel/Jazz/Blues mash ups too. Mississipi Moan is pretty much blues.

Wow. Thanks for this tip. I'm new to the keyboard world, so I'm still learning the names of the masters. Mr. Katz is amazing.

:thu::thu: for my buddy Reese :cool:

Hard to find, but if you can dig up any Dick Kermode, or Jimmie Calire (on any of the recordings of 60s group Raven), you'll hear two of my strongest influences.

You might like that guy on Tony Joe White's "Closer to the Truth" ;)

Steve, funny you mentioned Jimmie Calire. He lives in my little town here in So Cal (Ojai), and I've been watching him play at various little places in town for the last 20+ years. He's a monster on both piano and B-3, and can switch to sax and wail as well. Didn't know many people know him outside of here!.....

Steve, funny you mentioned Jimmie Calire. He lives in my little town here in So Cal (Ojai), and I've been watching him play at various little places in town for the last 20+ years. He's a monster on both piano and B-3, and can switch to sax and wail as well. Didn't know many people know him outside of here!.....

Jimmy Calire was and I've no doubt is still a monster player. It's been years since I've heard him play, and while he's better known these days as (drummer) Mario's dad, or that guy who was in (70s folkrock band) America, when I was coming up in Buffalo, Jimmy Calire was the sh*t. I learned as much from watching and listening to him (and Stan Szelest) as I did from Jimmy Smith & Ray. His band Raven with Gary Mallaber, Jon Weitz, Tony Galla and Tommy Callandra was the cream of Buffalo R&B, and later the house band for legendary 60s club, Steve Paul's "Scene".

zxcvbnm098,

If you run into him at all, please tell him I said hello and thanks for everything I ever stole from him :cool: Ask him about my other reference Dick Kermode too. He'll remember him from back before Janis Joplin and verify his coolness.

Buffalo, NY in the late 50s & 60s was really something special as far as growing up musical. I was especially lucky to have a father who regularly took his toddler out (often to pretty rough joints :o) to hear great players. Lucky Peterson (mentioned above) is about my age, and was billed as "Little Lucky" the 4 year old wonder when my dad took me to his dad's club on the East side. :cool: At 12, I got to stand at the side of a stage (in full view of the B :thu: ) just a couple of feet from Jimmy Smith :D

Had to go to page 2 to bump the thread. I guess this is a short list, but perhaps more on target of the OP's intent, I remembered

the great Bill Doggett. Worth checking into, especially from the old "Honky Tonk" days. Speaking of Honky Tonk, it's a master lesson in shuffle comping.

Jimmy Calire was and I've no doubt is still a monster player. It's been years since I've heard him play, and while he's better known these days as (drummer) Mario's dad, or that guy who was in (70s folkrock band) America, when I was coming up in Buffalo, Jimmy Calire was the sh*t. I learned as much from watching and listening to him (and Stan Szelest) as I did from Jimmy Smith & Ray. His band Raven with Gary Mallaber, Jon Weitz, Tony Galla and Tommy Callandra was the cream of Buffalo R&B, and later the house band for legendary 60s club, Steve Paul's "Scene".

zxcvbnm098,

If you run into him at all, please tell him I said hello and thanks for everything I ever stole from him :cool: Ask him about my other reference Dick Kermode too. He'll remember him from back before Janis Joplin and verify his coolness.

Buffalo, NY in the late 50s & 60s was really something special as far as growing up musical. I was especially lucky to have a father who regularly took his toddler out (often to pretty rough joints :o) to hear great players. Lucky Peterson (mentioned above) is about my age, and was billed as "Little Lucky" the 4 year old wonder when my dad took me to his dad's club on the East side. :cool: At 12, I got to stand at the side of a stage (in full view of the B :thu: ) just a couple of feet from Jimmy Smith :D

I play in Buffalo more than Rochester. It is a pretty good scene there to be honest.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

"Relentless " by Danny Gatton and Joey DeFrancesco. Anything by either of those guys is incredible.

Current main gear: Korg Oasys88, K2661, Pc2x

Moog Voyager, Moog Lp, Prophet 08, Alesis Qs7.1

Korg Karma, Ob12

Others: numerous

Archived