Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Painting the Ultimate Support Apex: pics inside

EscapeRocks

hey gang....

finally had the time to do it. I know others have asked about doing this, and it's really very easy.

I first used some "goo gone" and removed any stickers.

Then, I removed the hardware (tri-bar clamps).

next, some light sanding with a fine grit (600) sandpaper.

For this project I used Krylon's "tough enamel" paint, which among other places,many auto parts stores carry. it comes in spray cans.

First I applied Krylon enamel primer in typical primer grey.

I let it dry for a couple hours.

I then sprayed on the Krylon enamel color.

The Krylon cans have a very nice nozzle that give you a straight and even spray pattern, just like using a gun at a paint shop.

I'm pleased with the results. Heck, I bought this stand brand new back in 1987, and have used it continuously since with no problems other than a broken carry hande, which USS sent to me free two years ago.

Pics:

http://www.escaperocks.com/stand1.jpg

http://www.escaperocks.com/stand2.jpg

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks good. Whatcha puttin' on it?

Right now it holds a Yamaha S08 and a Korg Triton Extreme 61 for my live gigs. it's held everyitng from DX-7s, DW8000's, A Prophet 5, Ensoniq KS-32 among others in it's life with me.

The pictures actually make the red POP more than it really does, due to the flash on my small digital camera, and my non-editing before posting.

It's actually a bit more subdued than that on stage.

David

Cool. thanks for those pics. I've seen them before and it's what inspired me to do mine. I did the quick one color thing as I don't have a lot of down time in between gigs, so not enough time for my local "artist" to do the custom job I want :)

SOme day, though.

David

After mine gets dented up from gigging, I think I will have to do the something cool like that. Now if I could only find a good place to paint and silk screen keyboard cases. Orange Motif anyone?

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

The silver "cracked atmosphere w space glimpses" was done for my Motif. The red metalflake flame roses stands (there were 2) were for my heavy rig, which was an A90 atop a Bx3 with a Jd800 at the top.

I've sold those, but still have the .... er.... "handjob" stand. Been thinking of bringing that one out of retirement. It was retired cuz the Apex just didn't look right for Hello Dave and the 'roots' bands I was playing with.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

The silver "cracked atmosphere w space glimpses" was done for my Motif. The red metalflake flame roses stands (there were 2) were for my heavy rig, which was an A90 atop a Bx3 with a Jd800 at the top.

I've sold those, but still have the .... er.... "handjob" stand. Been thinking of bringing that one out of retirement. It was retired cuz the Apex just didn't look right for Hello Dave and the 'roots' bands I was playing with.

Did you do these yourself, or use a local artist for it?

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

A good friend of mine paints motorcycles. I gave him my designs (for the handjob and roses/flame) and he worked the real magic. I loved art as a kid, used to go to summer school for it...too bad I sucked!!!
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I want to paint my stand now. And my keyboards. What somebody said about an Orange MOTIF got me thinking...

If only..lol.

Ever see Pimped-out MPC's? Check out Forat's Picture Gallery... :thu:

A good friend of mine paints motorcycles. I gave him my designs (for the handjob and roses/flame) and he worked the real magic. I loved art as a kid, used to go to summer school for it...too bad I sucked!!!

Graphic arts was not my forte either. I can't even draw stick figures straight..lol.

They now make a silver one, but not sure if it can also be bought in the extended edition (the one with built-in mic stand and longer arms for the bottom tier).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I picked up a silver Apex stand at Guitar Centre today, and am very happy with the improved construction vs. the Deltex model. I debated the QuikLok WS-550 that was promoted here earlier (the one that is listed as a console mixer stand but can have its legs angled to support a keyboard instaed), and a few other options, but ultimately (no pun intended) decided the Apex is the sturdiest and the best built.

Now I just have to order the mic boom stand as those are no longer made and only a few e-stores still have a few left. Maybe I'll paint it silver to match the stand :-).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Hey that Forat Gallery didn't just have MPC's, if you scroll down further, you see these...

An ASR-10 in silver and with wooden cheek blocks (nice!):

http://www.forat.com/allpictures/mpc/ASR-10%203.jpg

A glossy red and black Triton Studio:

http://www.forat.com/allpictures/mpc/Korg%20Triton%20Studio%20Tiec%20Tocc4.jpg

A Motif ES6:

http://www.forat.com/allpictures/mpc/RE-MIXXX%20Motif%20ES6%2014.jpg

"Madonna"'s (or rather, the guy who plays keys for her) all white rig, including Nord Lead (which looks great, and I think the Nord Wave should have looked like this...), :

http://www.forat.com/allpictures/Madonna/Madonna%20Nord%20Lead%203%202.jpg

http://www.forat.com/allpictures/Madonna/Madonna%20Nord%20Lead%203%203.jpg

V-synth:

http://www.forat.com/allpictures/Madonna/Madonna%20V-synth%202.jpg

SH-201:

http://www.forat.com/allpictures/Madonna/Madonna%20SH-201%201.jpg

Pretty cool. Keyboard manufacturers could really do with some more interesting aesthetic designs. Haven't they learnt anything from how much the iPod and iMac took off (in sales and public acceptance) when they introduced different color schemes? :) People stop thinking about whether its the right board in terms of specs, but instead, just ask, "does it come in pink?"

• 4 years later...
hey, i see the keyboard in different glossy colors, i really like the white glossy roland vsynth and the korg studio. how do you paint them like that and what kind of paint is that?

Those were done by Forat, linked above. You should probably direct that question to them.

Be prepared for the answer to be "this is a service we offer; we will gladly quote on the service for you, but we don't divulge our trade secrets, sorry".

Or some such thing. :thu:

Heck, I bought this stand brand new back in 1987, and have used it continuously since with no problems other than a broken carry hande, which USS sent to me free two years ago.

I've had mine almost just as long with no problems except the same broken handle, but I haven't been using it for the last 6 years. I brought it out again for my audition the other night and I think I'm going to start using it again, I like it other than the non-tilting tiers, but I can live without that.

Incidentally, I used to have a Deltex stand (similar to the Apex) that I used in a band called "Money I$ Power" (I know, stupid name). We glammed up everything - wore flashy suits, and had dollar signs all over everything. I sprayed the Deltex with spray adhesive and wallpapered the whole thing with fake dollar bills, then gave it a good thick clear coat. It turned out pretty cool.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived