Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Next Great American Band

MidLifeCrisis

Well forumites, you asked for and now you got it.

For a while now people have been clammoring for an American Idol like show where they feature real musicians and bands instead of wanne be pop stars.

American Band premiers tomorrow night with a 2 hour special. It looks like it may be pretty good. I am going to check it out.

My apologies to anyone who thought this topic was going to discuss the classic Grand Funk song...

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
American Band premiers tomorrow night with a 2 hour special. It looks like it may be pretty good. I am going to check it out.

Make sure you face your computer toward the TV so I can see it. I must have my TV antenna facing in the wrong direction. Can't seem to pick up any US stations. ;)

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

I watched it too. Interesting group of bands and genres they picked for the top 12.

My early favorite is Mugs. Bass player has a stroke and is partially paralized, so he learns to play key bass with his left hand. Admirable.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I'd seen the bass player with no arms on some show before. He was just as amazing then. And, yeah, the 12 year olds were not bad, but there are a couple bands around here with 14-15 year olds that blow them off the stage.

I have no idea why they made the bands play in the Nevada desert.

There was mentioned theme shows. I wonder how they're going to handle the different styles.

Willie Dixon

I'd seen the bass player with no arms on some show before. He was just as amazing then. And, yeah, the 12 year olds were not bad, but there are a couple bands around here with 14-15 year olds that blow them off the stage.

There was mentioned theme shows. I wonder how they're going to handle the different styles.

Guess I have a soft spot for the young kids. I started playing clubs when I was 14. They bring back some great memories.

The theme shows should be interesting. The older guys will blow the youngins away.

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

Guess I have a soft spot for the young kids. I started playing clubs when I was 14. They bring back some great memories.

The theme shows should be interesting. The older guys will blow the youngins away.

In my case it was 16, so I like to see the kids do well. But I agree, the older guys will have an advantage. As Waylon Jennings said, "Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time."

Willie Dixon

Nashville Cats, play clean as country water

Nashville Cats, play wild as mountain dew

Nashville Cats, been playin' since they's babies

Nashville Cats, get work before they're two

The Nashville pickers are sounding real good.......

The Nashville pickers are sounding real good.......

They have to be one of the favorites. They play new country so they are well versed in rock, blues and gospel. Plus they are one of those veteran bands that I talked about. They should be able to handle any style thrown at them.

I liked those three kids whose dad was a preacher. They had a lot of soul in what they played. The lead singer had an amazing voice.

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

Keep an eye out for "Franklin Bridge'. These young cats have been tearing it up in and around Philly and Jersey for a minute...

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Yeah, I missed it, too. Just found out The Muggs are in it. Haven't actually heard them play, but I've caught guitarist Danny Methric with The Paybacks and an earlier band, The Kingsnakes. Good player and he's a good guy off stage, too. I'll be cheering them on!

In my case it was 16, so I like to see the kids do well. But I agree, the older guys will have an advantage. As Waylon Jennings said, "Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time."

FWIW, I was 11 at my first gig. There are a lot of young kids with good chops (in general -- not just within the show), but most of them lack musical maturity and a large storehouse of musical memories to pull from. They lack breadth and depth just because they haven't had enough life experience yet. But yeah, I'll madly cheer on a bunch of young kids to encourage them to keep it up.

The cuteness factor only goes so far, though. In some ways listening to music is like having a conversation. Maybe the kid can carry his weight when talking about his favorite sports team or whatever, but has nothing to say about current events, for example.

Or didn't share the same life experience. In my case, I didn't live through Viet Nam or witness the moon landings or the Kennedy assassination first-hand. Yet for those that did, a lot of emotional content can be conveyed with few words.

It's the same with music. Quote the opening to Beethoven's 5th, Joplin's "Maple Leaf Rag", Chick Corea's "Spain", or a hit by Billy Joel or Alicia Keys. Or at least make a stylistic reference. Hard to do if you've never heard it before, and easier perhaps if you've lived through the period and can put it in the proper social/historical context.

I watched it and liked it. My favorite band so far is Franklin Bridge. Those guys friggin' rocked on the premiere, although after checking out their MySpace page, I have to say the original song that they played (Incredible) is by far the best song among those on their web page. It should be an entertaining show, and, as one of those who clamored for this kind of thing, I will watch with interest.

One negative comment, though: This really isn't an American Idol-like talent search. There were only 60 bands selected for that Vegas audition, and it was clear that at least half of them were brought in solely for TV entertainment during the premiere (much like Idol loves showing awful auditions). Seriously, "Fifi the Killer Clown"!?!?!? Furthermore, those auditioning were quickly winnowed to a group of 12 finalists, and it seemed clear that the judges had a checklist of "band types" that they were ticking off one by one in making their selection:

The older rockers

The cute young kids

The country band

The new wave band

The girl band

The pretty-boy band

The R&B/groove band

The novelty act

Etc.

Anyway, I'll keep watching . . .

Noah

One negative comment, though: This really isn't an American Idol-like talent search. There were only 60 bands selected for that Vegas audition, and it was clear that at least half of them were brought in solely for TV entertainment during the premiere (much like Idol loves showing awful auditions). Seriously, "Fifi the Killer Clown"!?!?!? Furthermore, those auditioning were quickly winnowed to a group of 12 finalists, and it seemed clear that the judges had a checklist of "band types" that they were ticking off one by one in making their selection:

The older rockers

The cute young kids

The country band

The new wave band

The girl band

The pretty-boy band

The R&B/groove band

The novelty act

Etc.

Anyway, I'll keep watching . . .

Noah

I agree. There were 60 bands that made the Lake Las Vegas audition, and they brought in s**t groups like "FIFI", or the outerspace guys, or the jerk wearing the horse head. What about all the deserving bands that didn't get to that point because the producers needed some on-air train wrecks.

Yeah, I'll watch, because at least the bands that were chosen have some musical ability, but I was not happy about the waste of time groups. (At least the "Zombie Bazooka Patrol" could play.}

Willie Dixon

NoahZark said: "it seemed clear that the judges had a checklist of "band types" that they were ticking off one by one in making their selection"

You nailed it there....and how 'bout that billion dollar set they used for the taping? In the middle of the desert in Nevada on a lakeshore in 100+ degree heat? Now that is what that old song was really all about....."we're on a low budget"......

I'm sitting here watching Franklin Bridge. It's one thing to know musicians in an around the Philly area. Most places its six degrees of seperation-in Philly it is literally two or three, and many times, one or two.

Even better, the way the scene is here, most of the African American musicians are cutting their teeth and developing their chops in and thru church and live music venues (like Black Lilly-Jill Scott, Musiq, The Roots et. al.).

I personally know Kurt (Lead singer and guitar) and not-so anymore Big D(wayne) on Bass. The beautiful part about these guys, beyond the musicianship (I know the drummer, too, but not personally) is that they are GOOD all around people. Seeing them do their thing made me (and I am sure everyone else on the scene) proud to be a part of the Philly music machine.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Franklin Bridge rocked the house down. Definitely a high energy tight band. Good stuff. I had them as the top act until SixWire came on.

Sixwire are pro's pros. Why are they not signed? They were tight beyond tight. I would gig with them in heartbeat.

Some other good ones:

Clark Brothers. I love these kids. Soul just oozes out of them. They play with unreal emotion. I can see them being stars some days. If I were a producer I would sign and back them immediately.

Dot Dot Dot.. Intersting. The lead singer has some talent. The chick guitar player impressed me. They need to tighten up and calm down. They have potential.

Likes of you.. Another great front man but relied too much on the falsetto. Again, if they tighten up there is potential there.

The 6th graders stunk out the joint. Guess they were nothing more than a novelty. They were putrid.

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

I thought the same thing about Sixwire. They were professional all around. Franklin Bridge has to step it up a notch, but they aren't quite out of contention.

Those kid's mothers need to be ashamed letting them all go on stage without shirts one. One of the kids even mouthed to the other "I TOLD YOU SO..."

The all girl band and Beatles-lite need to give it up.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a two-way competition between Sixwire and Franklin Bridge, both of whom are so much better than the other bands it borders on silly. That said, since the American public is voting, who knows what the hell will happen? If this show is getting any of the teeny bopper crowd that watches Idol, I could see the kid band (Light of Doom?) and some of the other bands with Idol-like frontmen going deep into this competition. I suspect, however, that this show is attracting a far different crowd (if, indeed, it's attracting a crowd at all!), so I'm hoping that talent wins out at the end of the day.

The only thing disappointing to me about Franklin Bridge is that they played the same original they played in the Vegas audition stage. And, having listened to their Myspace page (after which I concluded that that song -- "Incredible" -- is their best offering), I'm concerned their originals may go downhill from here. We'll see.

MusicWorkz: Cool that you know at least some of those guys. Frankly, I'm damn impressed with all of them, especially the bass player and the drummer. Just a sick rhythm section. I'd be curious what the lead singer is like in person. On tonight's show, he came across as quite fond of himself, and a little humility might do him well if they actually hope to win this competition.

Noah

I was on tour in Europe for all of August with a reggae band called Christafari. For that tour, the leader of the band decided to use some of his old horn players from Nashville. Two weeks into the tour, we were in Helsinki for a couple days and our trumpet player decided to leave the tour because a project he was involved with back home had an audition for some show that was like American Idol for bands. We were all very pissed and disappointed; who leaves a tour half way through for some stupid prospect of some show in America? He had committed to us.

Well that thing he was auditioning for was this show, and his band is Denver and the Mile High Orchestra. I guess he made the right move after all, so even though it was lame to leave the tour, I can understand his reasons. Not that that band will win this, they aren't exactly original although they're good. The exposure's good though.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Noah, I am with you about the competition and probable result-it's Sixwire vs. FB. Either way the exposure for both will be great. Music is missing great bands like these guys. I haven't been to FB's MySpace page yet, but I will make my way now.

With Kurt, what you see is what you get, and while your impression wasn't far off, he is really a great guy and musician. The rhythm section? Honestly, what you heard last night on the show is COMMON here in Philly. When we do musician shed's, there are usually two drum sets (plus percussion) on the set playing in tandem. And you'll rarely see four string basses...five and six are standard-even with the new kids on the block. Dwanye is a monster on his bass and has a great touch.

Archived