Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are you a Pianist or Keyboard Player?

Jazzwee

dp2, you'll appreciate this story.

In the '70's, my jazz teacher, took lessons with the famous Boston piano teacher Madame Chaloff, mother of Serge Chaloff (Sax). This lady is famous being also the teacher of names like Hancock, Kenny Werner, and many other now famous jazz musicians.

For several lessons, he didn't even touch the piano. She just made him repeat over and over FOR AN HOUR. "The piano is a horn instrument. The piano is a horn instrument". After a few of these lessons, his reaction was "What the F..k am I doing here?".:laugh: So thereafter he quit.

Well lo and behold, here we are in 2007, and he's now telling over and over, "The piano is a horn instrument. The piano is a horn instrument". Breathe like a horn instrument. Phrase like a horn instrument.

So being a horn player, you've already passed a bigger hump, buddy. Music theory is just mathematics. I've got to turn into a horn player ;)

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
delirium, I'm sure you'll find this amusing, but my teacher had me actually BLOWING air when doing a solo, so I can stop when I run out of air. ;)

delirium, I'm sure you'll find this amusing, but my teacher had me actually BLOWING air when doing a solo, so I can stop when I run out of air. ;)

You need to develop circular breathing, then you'll be able to phrase like a keyboard player again.

Busch.

You need to develop circular breathing, then you'll be able to phrase like a keyboard player again.

Busch.

No. I'll just sound like Kenny G ;)

if your teacher was a woman I could understand that...

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

lol the irony is that my jazz trumpet professor in college, during my first lesson, sat me down next to a piano and asked if I knew how to play. He proceeded to explain, "It [jazz] all starts with piano. . . ." :)

Next, he asked me if I knew anything about percussion. :)

Most of my jazz trumpet lessons in college always incorporated some piano theory. In fact, my prof drilled it in my head that the late, great Dizzy Gilespy also played piano--not that I needed much convincing. :)

So, it's interesting indeed that Madame Chaloff taught pianists that way too. :)

I felt like it all started with piano. Not just jazz either, for me at least. I've been playing piano for 43 years and organ for 34. Synths starting 30 or so years ago. (Whether I'm any good after all that time is another issue!!)

But I tend to think of myself as a composer more than anything because although I play out and love it, when I do it is in large part to support/promote my own compositions. Then there's the composing for games, corporate videos and independent features. But I am a keyboardist in the sense that I use a variety of instruments as tools to compose and record with. As well as live.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

If I had a $10,000 coupon to buy any instrument I wanted, I would without hesitation lay it down for the best grand piano that money could buy.

If I walked into a room with a Steinway D open and waiting on one side of the room, and on the other side a mint condition B3 with two 122s turned on and waiting ....

I would probably need to sit down and have a drink.

I've bounced back and forth a few times on my answers when questioned, but I identify most with keyboardist. I've always enjoyed working with technology so for me synths and keyboards are a natural thing for me. I think when people ask which one a person is, they already have in their minds what each answer will mean. When they hear pianist they think of a very well trained, formal musician who can play the most demanding classical works. The word pianist seems to conjure up thoughts of prestige for many. The word keyboardist hasn't gotten such great responses sometimes when I've used it. For example, a music teacher asked me what instrument I play on the first day of class. To that I replied keyboards. He immediately asked me if I played any serious music such as Mozart and Bach. I've found that with pianists who haven't bothered to look deeply into keyboards, they usually have a condescending attitude toward keyboards, they're probably thinking of $50 Radio Shack specials. Not everyone I've met holds these viewpoints but I have seen them from time to time. Although I enjoy making music on an acoustic piano very very much, I still feel I'm a keyboardist at heart.

Just my $0.02

Chris

lol the irony is that my jazz trumpet professor in college, during my first lesson, sat me down next to a piano and asked if I knew how to play. He proceeded to explain, "It [jazz] all starts with piano. . . ." :)

Most of my jazz trumpet lessons in college always incorporated some piano theory. In fact, my prof drilled it in my head that the late, great Dizzy Gilespy also played piano--not that I needed much convincing. :)

So, it's interesting indeed that Madame Chaloff taught pianists that way too. :)

dp2, even in Classical piano, every advanced player tries to make the piano sing and perfect the art of legato. So the whole point is to control the percussive limitations of the instrument (when desired).

BTW - I do feel that this is something I learned on an acoustic, not the DP.

Brad Mehldau in an interview says his goal is to make the piano sound like it's not a piano. He wants it to sound like a human voice.

dp2, even in Classical piano, every advanced player tries to make the piano sing and perfect the art of legato. So the whole point is to control the percussive limitations of the instrument (when desired).

I've heard something like this before, but I've never studied classical piano. I can buy it, because wind instrument players are also taught to make our instruments sing in classical. :)

Although I guess it shouldn't be too surprising, I still find it amazing that so many of these principles transcend the instruments we learn them on initially.

I can also buy that comment about Brad Mehldau. He definitely has interesting technique.

The word pianist seems to conjure up thoughts of prestige for many. The word keyboardist hasn't gotten such great responses sometimes when I've used it. For example, a music teacher asked me what instrument I play on the first day of class. To that I replied keyboards. He immediately asked me if I played any serious music such as Mozart and Bach. I've found that with pianists who haven't bothered to look deeply into keyboards, they usually have a condescending attitude toward keyboards, they're probably thinking of $50 Radio Shack specials.

I have little (or no) respect for people who make ignorant comments like that. Don't get me wrong; I love and respect Mozart and Bach. I just don't have time for people with those kinds of condescending attitudes.

I know of cats who could take a $50 Radio Shack special, and run circles around that teacher. At the heart of the issue, I suspect that the people making those kinds of comments have an inferiority complex. They try to pull/tear down others in order to make themselves feel good about themselves despite their own failures. A keyboard, piano, organ, or synth is a tool. No one cares which brand of tools their contractors use for building houses, bridges, roads, etc. We only care that they use the right tools for the job, and that the stuff just works.

Also Sprach Zarathustra (ASZ) played on a $50-special keyboard still sounds like ASZ, and Chopsticks played on an Oasys or Steinway still sounds like Chopsticks. Sure, the latter two boards have better touch and action, and they look sexier. :grin: Nevertheless, a skilled player can that $50-special keyboard sing.

I call myself a jazz pianist and have no doubt, I can't play a single piece of classical music. I was learning technique from a classical teacher and was always amused at the reaction when I start to swing. And attempts at trying her trying to swing was humorous to say the least. So we have to be proud of what we are good at. I feel like I have every right to call myself a pianist, not because of some purported skill at a classical level, but because in fact I play piano 90% of the time.

I don't subscribe to the notion that the term keyboardist has some negative connotation as suggested in several recent posts now. However, it does have a connotation to the genre of music (modern). Let's face it, these detractors will not likely sit through Beethoven, but will jump to the dance floor when the keyboardist plays something funky like "Flashlight"...doesn't work on piano...

So my guess is that this complex about the "Keyboardist" label maybe self flagellation. It could be that the person is just trying to understand what kind of music you play. Pianist usually implies (classical). Never jazz -- unless you say Jazz Pianist.

I feel like I have every right to call myself a pianist, not because of some purported skill at a classical level, but because in fact I play piano 90% of the time.

exactly right, you can play as well rap on piano, and call yourself rap pianist. It's just a name, but to play piano on stage you have to have some skills, on a keyboard it's possible to cheat, and many do. That's why if you say "keyboardist" you never really know if he can play at all or not, until you hear it :)

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

That's why if you say "keyboardist" you never really know if he can play at all or not, until you hear it :)

Hmmm, then you go through the trouble of defining whether or not "what" comes from the keyboard is music, organized or old fashioned noise. ;)

Either way, it doesn't matter. Regardless of how one defines themselves at the keyboard, have fun making music. That seems to matter most to the audience. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

the irony is that my jazz trumpet professor in college, during my first lesson, sat me down next to a piano and asked if I knew how to play. He proceeded to explain, "It [jazz] all starts with piano. . . ." :)

My oldest daughter studies at Eastman's prep school and will get 2 "pre-college" diplomas from there, one in instrument performance and one in jazz studies. Requirement for the first: beginning piano. Requirement for the second: beginning jazz piano.

She's in a Latin Jazz workshop. No instruments in the first class. Her first assignment: a page of clave' rhythms to be played with hand claps and foot taps, then reverse the parts. It drove her nuts, but was very insightful.

When playing for myself I would rather play the piano. Or pipe/classical organ.

When doing solo stuff, I would rather play the piano. In a band, I prefer to play with all kinds of keyboard textures. I call myself a keyboardist. But I don't care what people call me.

Actually ... I think it will continue to evolve for me. I know of people who prefer synthesist, sound designer etc.

BTW, that's an awesome video of Hiromi. Thank you. They were talking for awhile but then she sat at the piano. :love:

I haven't seen her being so lyrical in the other videos she has done. I've seen her kung fu video... it's entertaining but ... imo, she is mostly a pianist, somewhat a keyboardist, and hardly a synthesist. And that's ok. :thu:

If she can play like she does on this video ...

Jerry

I find the term "pianist" to be on the pretentious side. If you're playing concert and recital halls, church, maybe in the pit, it's OK. If you're playing popular music (including jazz) in clubs, bars, restaurants, etc. you're a piano player in my book. If you're going to call yourself a pianist, you had better play like one. I find piano player to be a more humble name tag.

Busch.

• 1 month later...
I'm not a piano player, so shoot me.

Well, Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player... sorry, couldn't resist (see avatar).

Seriously, what a thought-provoking range of responses. I gotta say I really liked the "musician who plays keys" approach.

I learned on a piano, but completely self-taught. To me, the word "pianist" implies a mastery of the instrument I don't and will probably never posess. I play synth to add strings, organs, brass, etc. as necessary to my band's sound, but at the end of the day I am most comfortable at a piano.

I feel a little better with the "keyboardist" label even though that also calls to my mind different images (Wakeman, Emerson, etc.).

Nonetheless, I will occasionally call myself a keyboardist. I will never call myself a pianist unless I slip the word "mediocre" in front of it (I have an incredible appetite for self-deprecation).

When asked I usually just say, "I play keys", or wiggle my fingers in the air over an imaginary 88...

-Mike

Archived