Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Tipping

Markyboard

Sorry if this subject has come up before.

I went to Tony Changs, nice restaurant in DC China Town last night. It a Mongolian Bar-b-que type where you select your own bowl of veggies, meats etc and then have the chef cook it for you. There's opportuinity to tip the chef at that point which we did.

The waiter constantly fills your water glass, bring you bread and fortune cookies/dessert at the end. So in a sense the only thing he hasn't done is take your order and deliver your main course to the table. How much of a tip is that portion worth? Or do you maybe subtract the chef tip from the standard tip (whatever that is these days)?

Uggg - I hate tipping. I wish it was always in the price.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually tip 10% at buffets unless the staff is exceptional. They only fill your drink glass and drop of plates. I would think that would be more than enough.

I feel the same way Marky... the restuarant should pay their people not me.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Still, I would imagine the chef is on salary so his tips are a courtesy where the waiter mainly gets paid through tips.

Nonetheless, I tip 15-20% of the bill. Once I put it down, all parties involved (chef, waiter, hooter) can work out the split. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I hate tips too, why they're not included in the price?

Actually in some places they are, e.g. I visited last time Bahamas

and I've read that everywhere tip is added, but despite of it they expect you to tip more anyway. Horrible.

On top of that when I was coming to US home from the airport

taxi driver took 36$ for 10 miles ride and asked: "no tip?" when I gave him 36$ exact (what is quite expensive anyway for short ride). I said: "no, no tip today". What's wrong with these people???

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Delirium:

I don't like gratuity included in the bill. If the service is bad, you're still stuck with unearned gratuity. I usually leave a bigger "tip" if the service is very good, less if it isn't. I don't take it out on the server if the food isn't so good, they don't cook it. I DO however, tell the person at the front register that the food wasn't good and what was wrong with it. If they burned the shit out of my meal or gave me raw chicken, I don't eat it. I ask them to replace it. If they don't, I tell them I'm not paying and leave.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I believe in tipping strongly and I carry a healthy clip of singles for just such an occasion - I call them "lucky bucks". It's a karma thing for me - people are often generous with their tips towards me as a solo pianist so I have an obligation to help others. I try to be charitable whenever I can be because I am grateful for my blessings. Money is nasty stuff anyway, better to use it to lift your spirit.

Hey Jim, if your money is too much of a burden, I'll be happy to lift your spirits by providing my home mailing address. It's been a tough year.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I can understand that, but if the service was not so good you're still "expected" to leave tip, if you don't they make you feel uncomfortable. That taxi driver was clearly angry I didn't tip him.

In my opinion tip is supposed to be reward for better then normal service not just supplement to salary.

Anyway, tipping in restaurants is clever way for shifting blame of low paying to waiters to customers...If I don't leave enough tip who is bad - restaurant owner or me? of course me...

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Delirium:

Yep, To Insure Prompt Service. Actually it should be something you give them up front for a table in a "better" location, or something out of the norm. Leaving gratuity is as you say, a way to supplement their low wages.

When I feel the service is bad, I don't feel bad about leaving less than the 15 to 20% norm. In my favorite PUB, I give the bar tenders and servers more like 30% or more. They know what I usually order, and they serve me before others. I know its not because I'm pretty.

Mike T.

I usually tip between 15% and 20%. I get a bit perturbed when the tip is automatically added. Like Mike, I like to have control.

I feel that tipping is a sign of gratitude and respect toward the service staff, and should not be overlooked. After all, you like it when audience members tip, don't you?

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Hey Jim (The PRO)

I agree with what you are saying but you didn't answer my question. In my circumstance last night is there no difference in tipping for a buffet vs a full on dinner service? What's expected or the appropriate is what has me perplexed. Do they look at 10% as a good tip or bad tip?

Correct me if I'm wrong - but in a piano lounge situation, some customers don't tip at all and the expectations aren't rigidly in place as with a waiter. I'm sure if someone drops you a $10 or $20 you're extremely pleased. But even a single dollar is appreciated as well. I doubt this is true for waiters.

I remember this one "female" (she was NOT a lady) bar tender that actually YELLED at a customer on his way out the door "NO TIP?" when he stiffed her. She was too busy talking on the phone and not paying attention to the customers, so he left. I went as soon as I finished my beer. The bar eventually went out of business. Imagine that.

Mike T.

I believe in tipping strongly and I carry a healthy clip of singles for just such an occasion...

I like having the option to tip well if the service is good; and tip less if it's not. However, I always leave something.

I always carry a few dollars just to keep things rolling along smoothly. Even if you hand the doorman just a couple of bucks, it's appreciated. And he'll remember you. What's two bucks?

It doesn't hurt to be thoughtful when you can. It all comes back around at one time or another.

:)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Where I work we dont get tips as an incentive to do a good job, we get fired. I dont mind tipping a waitress. I do mind when everyone comes to me with a hand out. Baggage checking at an airport, bus drivers making the circle at hotels near Disney, the hotel maid.

I think they should tip me for being a good customer. If I am pleasant I get a big tip. If Im a grouch I only get a dollar. Thats it. Im going to start a movement. Tip the customer for being nice.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

For buffet service, either I don't tip or go up to 10% if they do some work. As an example, would you really think of tipping at Souplantation? I'd never go to 15% if they don't do anything.

I remember though that in Las Vegas, I always tip the normal 10-20% for a buffet because, even though it is a buffet, they really sit on you and take care of you.

So I basically calculate in my head if they deserved it and if so I am more than happy to compensate them.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Markyboard:

I don't have a firm answer for you regarding dinner versus buffet tipping. How much good karma could you use today ? Maybe that should be your guide.

Since there's no guidelines for my own situation as a pianist and I cannot tell how much a person is putting in my jar, I treat everyone the same. They are responsible for their own karma and I'm just a lucky beneficiary.

Good answers Jazzwee and Jim. Robert - I have no idea what your refrence is about. But I'm rescinding my tips - retroactive to 1960.

By the way for any Curb Your Enthusiam fans there was a great episode where Larry David is at a fancy hotel in NY and is tip challenged including by the air conditioning repair man. Funny stuff.

Robert - I have no idea what your refrence is about. ....

Lost you on that one? I tend to do that. It was to your statement about owing me a buck. If you are only going to tip me a buck for appearing in your thread I'm putting a hair and a bug in your thread. Consider yourself lucky that I was not serving you food. I hear that is what they do when you send food back.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Whats missing from this equation is that service is sometimes not a direct result of a bad waiter/waitress.

What if the cook is behind getting your meal prepared. Who's fault is that?

What if the cook trashes your steak? Is that bad service?

Or if the bartender makes your drink too weak?

Too often we take our frustration out on our server when the resposiblity for the overall quality of our service rests with many individuals.

I usually only tip badly when a waitperson is rude or seems to not care about my concerns.

Oh, and Marky. I always tip just 10% at buffets

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Robert - I have no idea what your refrence is about. ....

I'm putting a hair and a bug in your thread. Consider yourself lucky that I was not serving you food.

Duh - of course. Now if you'll excuse me I left my wallet in the car. Be right back. ;)

Yup - 10% it was - guess I'm OK with it now. Hopefully so was the waiter. Thanks.

Relevant palindrome:

Stressed? No tips? Spit on Desserts!

One more reason to throw something on the grill. Plus, my drinks are stronger and my wine list is better (and certainly a better deal).

Menu last Saturday before the Clapton concert with an old friend and fellow piano player in from out of town:

Famous Grouse on the rocks (repeat as needed)

Lamb loin chops in Italian dressing on the grill

Potato gratin with three cheeses (used up all the leftover Parmesan, Fontina and something I'd forgotten what it was)- add a little garlic, butter and cream

Steamed asparagus with lemon

1989 Lynch Bages

After the show: stay up jamming on the grand piano, S90 and Electro until 3AM. Finish the wine and have some more Scotch.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Archived