Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Am I Just Completely Mental?

lowerhodes

My present situation is this - I have what I believe most players would consider to be at the very least a quite usable rig for club gigs and the wedding reception types of things I do. It consists of a Roland RD 700SX (w/SRX expansion) on the botom and a Nord Elecro 2 on top. They run through a pair of JBL Eon G2's. I have been liquidating old and unused gear and have amassed a considerable wad of dough. So what's the problem? I occupy way, way too much time researching, auditioning and thinking about other boards and amps in search of an "upgrade". I wake up in the morning thinking about it and go to sleep at night thinking about it.My rational mind understands very well that for my purposes there really is no upgrade but my irrational mind (the dominant one, it seems) keeps putting thoughts of all manner of keyboards, modules and powered speakers in various combinations in my head, all in hope of getting a better sound. My rational mind eventually reasons away any buying impulse. Until the next day when it starts all over again. I know this is a problem a few of you probably think is pretty cool but I would like to redirect my energy toward writing and playing better and maybe working toward "upgrading" some of my bandmates.Am I the only one who suffers from this affliction?
Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And there's an easy cure: send your wad of dough to www.botchdon'thaveaquiteusablerig.com, and you'll be amazed at how well you sleep knowing you helped out someone less fortunate. :D

Botch

In Wine there is Wisdom

In Beer there is Freedom

In Water there is bacteria

Is it really a "better sound?" you're after?

I'm thinking perhaps you're a person who knows the value and empowerment of studying options - and also has developed good habits toward this goal. There is no shortage of options these days.

Whether it's options, better sound, or whatever, based on what you wrote, I'm hoping you didn't overlook the all the options you have with those two fierce instruments you own.

Sometimes there are debates here about what piece of gear is better, or what sampling rate we need to record at. It's a nuclear arms race - - now that both sides can destroy the planet, let's see who can destroy it . . . "MORE????"

So - - IMHO - if you feel that itch to research gear - =you might try looking under the hood of the two keyboards you own. Become fluent in the software and capabilities. Explore the means by which they generate and give life to their sounds. Take parameters and simply tweak them randomly just to hear what might happen? Experiment with layering the two - controling one from the other - - determined which physical controlers need to be routed to which parameters to enable your style to flow through?

Good luck!

Yep, you have GAS. Go practice, go write. IF you begin to find the gear you have limits doing either of these for some reason, you may be able to justify the GAS.

It's also possible that the "irrational" side knows that you're not really happy with the sounds you have. Maybe those 'boards aren't doing it for you after all. Perhaps what raddtunes suggests is what you need to do, or maybe it is something else you seek.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Sigh, the only way I have been slowed down in my GAS is by using a Muse Receptor, and not trying to constantly upgrade hardware boards. Im finding it cheaper with software, and I get to pick and choose what I want and don't want.

No im not a Muse salesman!

Do you want a sure fire way to overcome gas? POVERTY. I can't afford to buy anything new, so I spend my time trying to get more out of what I already have.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I occupy way, way too much time researching, auditioning and thinking about other boards and amps in search of an "upgrade".

My rational mind understands very well that for my purposes there really is no upgrade but my irrational mind (the dominant one, it seems) keeps putting thoughts of all manner of keyboards, modules and powered speakers in various combinations in my head, all in hope of getting a better sound.

My rational mind eventually reasons away any buying impulse.

Am I the only one who suffers from this affliction?

Take comfort in knowing your rig (RD700 and Electro) is solid.

A few ways to relieve GAS:

1) Go to an online music store. Fill a cart up with gear. Walk away.

2) Go to a physical music store. Play on the newer boards. Walk away.

3) Go home and play on your own rig. Practice old tunes, learn new ones and compose your own.

4) Finally, once you have reached a crossroads with your current rig i.e. sounds are no longer inspiring and/or you have felt and heard a better board, sell everything and buy a new one.

It is easier to justify GAS when the equipment pays for itself. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

buy a house, invest in a mutual fund or buy a $20,000 ring for your girlfriend

stop acting on impulse and don't buy another board

treasonous I know.

Understand there is no AA or 12 step program for Nordstroms Keyboard Shopping Addiction

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Watch a tape of Art Tatum with only an acoustic piano. That should motivate your energies in the proper direction!

Moe, this is totally true. Part of the reason I have not bought a keyboard in almost 10 years.

OTOH, it is dangerous too. Listening to these cats do *more* with a single instrument (AP, EP or organ), is enough to make you wanna throw your keyboard in the trash can, sell it and/or take up something else. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Mr. Rhodes,

Have you checked out the new Kawai DP's yet? They look really sweet. I bet they would sound great through those JBL's. :thu: Also, check out the Hammond XK3. I think they upgraded the Leslie sim, but you won't care about that when you buy the Leslie 3300 to go with it.

Even if you don't go for the XK3, you should check out the Leslie 2101. Imagine how great the Electro would sound through that thing. Just think of how inspiring it would be to have all that brand new gear! :love:

Regards,

Joe

Thinking about gear is enjoyable.....and we keyboardists have so many fun toys to fantasize about.....but the important issue is moderation or balance. You have recognized that this issue causes you some problems in your professional development, as evidenced by you starting this thread. I would recommend examining the function or purpose this behavior serves. It could be that you simply enjoy the aspects around developing your sound more than practicing, writing, etc. However, if excessive, there could be a deeper, even subconscious avoidance/escape mechanism involved. I would encourage you to examine what you might be avoiding by excessively thinking/ruminating about gear. Focus on the residual emotional issues Perhaps thinking about gear, and the implicit avoidance of practice/writing, protects you from the psychological discomfort associated with the prospect of not being successful as a musician.however you personally define it.

Since you have difficulty modulating this issue internally, I would encourage you to develop external structures to assist you in the acquisition of this skill. For example, develop a daily schedule explicitly defining times when you must practice, write, etc., and rigidly adhere to it. Of course, dedicate a reasonable proportion of time to gear issues as this is an important aspect of your musicianship..but again the key is moderation/balance. A behavioral approach may be for you to identify the reliable internal or environmental predictors regarding when you have the tendency to excessively engage in gear thoughts, then immediately engage in an incompatible replacement behavior at the onset of these cues (e.g., do some Hannon exercises or practice playing scales). Anything beyond these basic interventions may require more intensive supportive counselingto what degree this adversely impacts on your life, and the level of intervention you willing to comply with to facilitate change is for you to decide. Good luck!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Anyone here who is quite the opposite and only upgrades if it's really needed/has to?

I'm still playing a lot with gear from 1996/1998. Only upgraded to a RD-700sx because I had to have something that will last me for another 7 years. Ok I'm exaggerating, I know how tempted it is to buy new gear. But it's more about the fact that new gear gives a refreshing new sound. It doesn't say that that new gear has to be something from the current generation musical instruments.

This is the reason I bought a (now very cheap) JP-8000 few years back instead of a Nord or newer Virus.

Adding to ProfD's list...

5) Keep a few cheap rack synths in the closet. When the mood strikes, pull one out and treat it like a new synth. Notice how much trouble it is to find sounds and get settled with a new piece of gear, then put it away again.

6) Go to KVR and find the latest, greatest, free VSTi. Download it and treat it like a new piece of gear.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Do you want a sure fire way to overcome gas? POVERTY. I can't afford to buy anything new, so I spend my time trying to get more out of what I already have.

Mike T.

Listen to this man. 100% true. :D

Dont follow me....i'm lost too....

MikeT156, that's true and actually proved to be an excellent source of motivation for me as well to explore and use the most possible out of each of my keyboards and modules.

I only buy one big synth/module every 5 to 10 years. So it leaves me plenty of time to make sure I check all the possibilities of my musical instruments.

It's much better than buy 20 synths/modules and just use the factory presets, which 90% of the time are rather ordinary regardless of manufacturer. ;)

As a recovering gasaholic and a constant relapser, I totally understand your feelings here. It comes and goes with most of us. With the current new gear coming out I find myself needing about 10 grand to cover my desires.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

I just got back in town and wasn't really expecting any responses to my post so I am at a bit of a loss. I would like to thank Cydonia, however, for reducing all my deepest innermost feelings and angst into a single one syllable word. :) He's absolutely right, of course. As for poverty - no thanks. Been there. Done that. Oh, and my wife has told me in no uncertain terms that that I can't have any girlfriends let alone buy them any jewelry. So that leaves Botch's suggestion and it's a great one! A check is in the mail. Good luck with your GAS. That solves everything. Thanks to all who replied, even you voice of reason types for whom I an an exercise in futility. Moonglow, what's your hourly rate?
Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

Archived