Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Zawinul's "Brown Street"

cnegrad

Greetings all,

I've only gotten through the first three cuts of Zawinul's new "Brown Street" two cd set, but I've gotta tell you that already this cd is just knocking me out! The combination of Zawinul's unique sense of harmonicism combined with the orchestration of Vince Mendoza and the relentless rhythm section of Victor Bailey, Alex Acuna and Nathaniel Townsley is absolutely gorgeous. The WDR Big Band brass sounds great too, though it sometimes seems incongruous given that Zawinul has been using his own unique synth brass sounds for years. But wow, I'm absolutely in love with this CD, and recommend it highly to any Weather Report/Zawinul fans. Joe, you're amazing.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Carlo had a thread about this recording a couple days ago and I went on amazon and ordered, but mine isn't here yet. Now I really want it. Hard to beat Joe Z and Vince.I've never had the chance to see Joe and I don't see a Vegas showroom in his future.

there's something to be said for independent validation....

Absolutely! And when an album has this kind of stellar, absolute quality, I'm sure most keyboardists will agree with our judgement. Get it, folks!

Linwood - Zaw is getting better and better as he gets older. If he's not coming to Vegas, I strongly recommend some kind of trip in order too see/hear him perform. I consider myself privileged to have attended the Syndacate/WDR concert last summer. Catch him at least once in your lifetime... if there is one musical experience that deserves some traveling, it's this one. :thu:

I was lucky enough to see him in New Orleans about 8/9 years ago. First, for no other reason, it was great to see him because of all the groovy keyboard gear! He plays a rig that is so "unfashionable" these days with all those keyboards...it was like seeing Patrick Moraz or something!

But the music....it was devastating to see he and the other musicians playing at that high a level; he had a new drummer with him that was only 19, and he commented on how he told the drummer's uncle he would take very good care of him (kid was from New York I believe). But the whole band was just frightening!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Cnegrad,

I saw Joe Z. live at the 42st Pier (Manhatten) in the late 80's. To hear his playing and all those filters opening up a varying rates with the T8 was a thrill. Pure and unadulterated modern keyboard playing at it's best. Zappa played that series too that year. Luckily I caught him up close too! I just took a listen on Amazon! Thanks Cnegrad and Marino!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

2 weeks, then Zawinul is in town. In zoetermeer. Yes!!

My wife allmost got a heart attack cause I screamed so loud in the car, when we passed a billboard of the local concerthall with his photo on it.

2 weeks, then Zawinul is in town. In zoetermeer. Yes!!

My wife allmost got a heart attack cause I screamed so loud in the car, when we passed a billboard of the local concerthall with his photo on it.

Mine came today. I'm blown away. there's just something about the way Joe write's/ plays. The oneness of it all. It's not only his understanding of the notes, but his understanding of himself, faith, you and me, whatever...., and how it all comes together as music. No one else like Joe, that's for sure. Thank you guys for the tip on this one. I'm reminded that I don't have a stinkin' clue.....

Gotta agree with all the comments; this CD is really something. :thu:
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

I gotta pick up this CD!

And go see the Syndicate if they're coming to your town. You won't regret it. I saw them last November in Massachusetts and Joe and the band are totally smokin'. Acutally, one of the best concerts I have ever seen in my life (and I have seen thousands over the past 3 decades!)

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

I saw the Syndicate almost 8 months ago, and Joe seemed much yougenr than his age. Simply, his energy on stage is fantastic, playin' side by side with musicians two generations younger! I have not the CD Carlo's talking about (i bet it's magical too...), but i remember he's got a fantastic brazilian guitarist in his band, very mellow when needed. Check him out too

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Archived