Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC3 info (for real :)

C.J. Lewis

I know you've all been waiting, so here is the info we can share right now, direct from Mr. Dave Weiser of Kurzweil R&D in Boston. Part of this was an answer to another post, so read on - it gets good :D

"Optional super ribbon will work. Standard AC power. Looks like we tentatively will have the ability to have up to 32 layers per program! While it needed to be a basic system at first, we are hoping that by release date the PC3's VAST will look as or more impressive than the K26's. The only thing it won't be able to do is load samples. Otherwise, the DSP will be a lot cooler - we're adding algs by the day. We'll have 4 pole filters, improved osc sync, improved DSP generated waves, etc."

PC3 brochure contents...also by Dave Weiser

New Hardware.

New Software.

New Sounds.

We're Back.

With a sleek new look on the outside, and an arsenal of Kurzweil's latest cutting edge chip technology under its hood, the 88-note PC3 delivers 128 voices of incredible sound quality along with a host of powerful, easy to use features. The PC3 is Kurzweil's ultimate performance controller keyboard, with an enormous collection of stunning sounds combined with comprehensive real-time controller functions.

In addition to our renowned Triple Strike Grand Piano, the PC3 features hundreds of new sounds; basses, drums, guitars, and synths suited for every style and taste, along with a collection of flawless vintage keyboard emulations, KB3 Mode and over 250 orchestral and string section programs. For good measure we included a 16-track sequencer and more effects processing power than our acclaimed KSP8 processor, making the PC3 a full blown music production workstation. Add in USB, flash card port, a newly designed keyboard action, and a new intuitive user interface, and you've got the next generation of Kurzweil instruments.

What's Inside

One thing which clearly sets Kurzweil apart from the competition is the fact that we design our own chips (called ASICs) for all Kurzweil products. Simply put, our chips are customized for optimum audio performance. Our competitors use general purpose DSP chips commonly found in cell phones, watches and televisions. What does this mean for the end user? It means that all of the processing power in a Kurzweil chip is devoted exclusively to sound. It means no latency - the performance is lightning fast. And most importantly, it translates into that rich, full, glitch-free sound for which Kurzweil has become famous. Yes it is more expensive and more time consuming for us to do it this way. We think it is well worth it. Once you've heard the PC3, we think you'll agree.

The Kurzweil Sound

The PC3 offers an enormous sound set of over 800 programs, raising the bar once again for both audio quality and variety. With the best samples in the industry, and a powerful, responsive synth engine breathing life into them, you'll feel like you're playing an actual instrument, not just playing samples. Of course there's the famous Kurzweil Triple Strike Piano, with dozens of variations to accommodate every kind of player. All of the basic sounds - basses, guitars, drums, horns and synths - have been painstakingly programmed to reflect the needs of today's professional players, representing a broad selection of styles and flavors from the '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s and today.

Also included is our Classic Keys ROM, which puts an impossibly large vintage keyboard rig at your fingertips. The recognizable sounds of those classic electromechanical instruments, with all of their characteristic imperfections, have been faithfully re-created, along with pedals, amps and speakers. Lush Mellotrons, growling electric pianos, and funky Clavinets are all there at the touch of a button, programmed to sound just like those classic albums.

For more vintage firepower, the PC3 is equipped with the most advanced version of Kurzweil's widely lauded KB3 Mode tonewheel organ simulator, which screams, sputters and sizzles just like the original. In addition to newly developed Leslie effects, and a new bank of B3 programs, we've also included sounds from the classic Vox and Farfisa combo organs. The PC3's 9 sliders provide real-time drawbar control.

The PC3 offers a full range of world class orchestral sounds, including our new String Section ROM bank, making it ideal for film-scoring and soundtrack projects. Every type of articulation, every nuance has been captured, with samples of full and divisi sections of violins, violas, cellos, and double bass. The details, the warm swells, animated pizzicatos and the sound of scraping rosin all add to the breathtaking effect of these string sections. You can plug and play with sounds worthy of a finished production - instant gratification with uncompromising sound quality.

User Interface

While the PC3's user interface may look familiar to veteran Kurzweil users, major improvements have been made, allowing for a much more user friendly experience. Expanding upon our VAST architecture, the PC3's new UI delivers all the power of a Kurzweil, combined with unprecedented ease of use. The PC3's backlit 240 x 64 display conveys all the information you'll need, when you need it, in an elegant, easy to navigate environment.

All programs and setups will be accompanied by help messages which can be accessed by pressing an "Info" soft button. These help messages may contain controller assignments, or any other relevant information; for example, if the sound was derived from a classic song or album. Programs can be selected by scrolling or by using bank and program select buttons for easy one touch access.

Move a controller while holding the Cancel button, and the display will let you know what that controller is doing. Whether it's a wah effect, tremolo control, a filter sweep, or something less obvious, the PC3 will let you know what is happening, in musician's terms. This system allows us to maintain the flexibility of not having to silkscreen permanent labels on the front panel sliders, as is the case with the competition. Every sound can have its own set of controller assignments which can be viewed at the touch of a button.

Effects

With up to 16 insert effects plus two auxiliary sends, the PC3 offers more than twice the processing power of our acclaimed KDFX engine. Effects can be chained together in series, or distributed among the PC3's 16 multitimbral channels. And these are simply the best effects in the business - burning distortions, transparent compressors, warm phaser and chorus effects, perfect reverbs - everything from flawless vintage emulations to concert halls which decay into complete silence. All parameters are assignable to any of the PC3's real time controllers - sliders, pedals, wheels, etc.

Sequencer

The PC3 will feature a 16 track sequencer based on our K2 Series sequencer. Combining a set of powerful song editing functions like step editing, swing, and controller scaling with a new friendlier interface, the PC3 can easily double as a workstation, ideal for music production on the fly. Chasing controls and a global "set song length" function are just a couple of the features we've added.

Also included are four independent arpeggiators as well as hundreds of pre-recorded beats and musical phrases.

Specifications

VAST Architecture: Crystal clear samples, rich, warm filters and the power and flexibility of a variable architecture paradigm. VAST also includes Kurzweil's unique shaper and distortion algorithms, which can add a little heat or all out digital mayhem.

128 voice polyphony: Lightning fast performance, no latency.

16 multitimbral parts

800+ programs: 256 base programs (bass, drums, guitar, synth, etc.), Triple Strike Grand Piano, Classic Keys ROM, General MIDI, Orchestral ROM, String Sections ROM and 64 KB3 programs.

GM Compatible: The best sounding General MIDI sound set in the industry.

2 Sound ROM Expansion Slots: For future ROM expansion blocks.

Effects Section: Up to 16 insert effects with 2 aux sends assignable across 16 busses. All parameters assignable to real-time controllers.

Effects Presets: Over 300 of our award winning effects - reverbs, delays, chorus, flange, phaser, EQs, distortions, Leslie simulators, compressors, and more.

Global EQ: User controllable master EQ section for quick adjustments during live performance.

OS Updates: Can be updated via USB or flash memory card. New OS updates will be released in the near future with new features and new sounds.

Physical Specifications

Next Generation Hammer Weighted Action: With 88 velocity and aftertouch sensitive keys, the PC3's action feels like a piano, but is easier to play. Unlike most of its competitors, the PC3's action features a quick release spring, striking an ideal balance of playability between piano type parts and synth/organ parts.

9 Assignable MIDI Sliders/Drawbar Controllers: Mixing board type sliders for real-time control of synth and effects parameters. In KB3 Mode, the sliders act as drawbars.

16 Bank Select and 8 Program Select Buttons: One touch access for all sound selections.

New Pitch and Modwheel Designs: With added weight and rubberized surfaces, the PC3's wheels are both responsive and comfortable to use.

External Controllers: Inputs for 3 switch pedals, 2 cc pedals, super ribbon and breath controller.

Flash Memory Port: Store and load programs, OS updates, and sequences.

Angled Display: Optimum viewing angle with brightness and contrast controls.

Internal AC Power Supply: Selectable 120/240V AC Operation.

Dimensions: 1380mm (54 5/16") x 355mm (14") x 110mm (4 5/16")

Weight: 25 Kg (55lb)

I/O

4 Analog outs: 2 Main and 2 Aux balanced outs plus assignable stereo headphone jack, using patented Kurzweil circuitry and 24-bit D/A conversion.

24-Bit Digital Output: Stereo S/PDIF with pristine audio quality. Features both 48kHz and 96kHz modes.

USB: MIDI over USB. Also allows the PC3 to load and save data directly to and from a computer.

MIDI: In, Out and Thru

All specifications subject to change without notice.

ivorycj

Live Rig: Kurzweil Forte 7 driving MacBook Pro M1Max w/64GB RAM | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Roland RD-64

Studio Rig: Yamaha CP88 driving same MBP | Roland D-70 | Synth Spa Roland Juno-106 | Yamaha DX7IIFD

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Physical Specifications

Next Generation Hammer Weighted Action: With 88 velocity and aftertouch sensitive keys, the PC3's action feels like a piano, but is easier to play. Unlike most of its competitors, the PC3's action features a quick release spring, striking an ideal balance of playability between piano type parts and synth/organ parts.

[font:Comic Sans MS]I totally don't know what that means... but I want it. :grin: :thu:[/font]

Jessica's Video

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I'm also wondering if using the KB3 mode will result in loss of polyphony for other patches (i.e., when use concurrently), like its predecessors. This was a serious limitation, IMHO.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Thanks for the info CJ. It sounds great and I can't wait to try one! Any word yet on price and availability in terms of which chain stores, Sam Ash/Guitar Center will carry them. At times I've had some issues finding Kurzweil keyboards to demo.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

I take it that the PC3 "Triple Strike Piano" is the same as the one heard in the PC2X. It's still 55 lbs with the same Triple Strike Piano sound, I'll pass.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 800 of Harry's solo piano arrangements and tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas These arrangements are for teaching solo piano chording using Harry's 2+2 harmony method.

Whew! I guess I can breathe a sigh of relief now and feel free to talk about the PC3 (there is precious little in my notes that isn't already covered, and I'll still assume that stuff is NDA, but it isn't directly related to features per se, so I'm glad that the full specs on the PC3 are now considered public).

In spite of there being nothing more than a mock-up at the show, one only needs be familiar with Kurzweil's various technologies going into the PC3 to already know this is going to be a great synth and worth every penny, being as it is priced almost identically to the PC2 (fully loaded or whatever, I forget). It's even more exciting that it moves even a bit beyond the K-series.

I must say that it came as no surprise to me that Kurzweil and Yamaha both reinforced their positions as providers of fleshed-out bread-and-butter solutions, combined with major improvements in the performance controller aspect. For this reason, also as I predicted, there may be a bit of a shoot-out between the PC3 and the XS for grabbing the attention of the more traditional-minded. But even though The Motif XS also draws upon a long history of excellent analog sounds, the PC3 will offer up much more in this category than did the PC2 as well, so it may indeed end up being a bit of a level playing field, presuming Kurzweil can gain strong visibility.

On the other hand, as Yamaha has dropped all but sample synthesis and Kurzweil is effectively offering what the Alesis Fusion SHOULD have been, it may continue to be the case that a Motif module or keyboard combined with a Kurzweil keyboard or module provides the perfect complement. But as both are amped up quite a bit, it is also more likely than before that one or the other could do quite well as the ONLY keyboard at a gig (maybe augmented by one or two special-purpose synths).

I do hope that store distribution will be better this time around so that we may compare them side by side once they are both finally out. For us 88-ers, action may prove critical. My initial perception from the show is that both have excellent actions. The PC3 screen is way bigger than the PC2's and adequate for the level of depth in PC-programming vs. Motif-programming.

Interestingly, I was about to post the PC3 details anyway tonight even without CJ's post having gone up, as it was already clear to me that the details had been made public when I visited the website of the only third-party provider of sound banks for the PC-series, who have a full page on the PC3:

http://www.dlnsound.com/kfmbestofvast.htm

The FM sounds don't sound all that authentic to me, but they are quite good, and certainly would satisfy most people wanting those sorts of sounds at a gig. They sound a bit like FM8 to me, which I mentioned earlier does not sound as accurate as FM7 but sounds good in its own right. I don't know enough about V.A.S.T. to know if it includes six or more FM operators or only two (or fewer).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I was, as were many, a Kurzweil devotee at one time - but in the past ten years I've seen Kurzweil go through more changes than any other keyboard company on the planet. And strange changes at that... now it's owned by a Korean car company, right? They debuted a cool-looking VA that vanished before it hit the market, repackaged their sounds into more PC-whatever products than anyone but God can keep track of, and now "they're back". I'm with Jazz+ on this one - my last Kurzweil was the PC2x and I only had that purple thing a few months before I sold it - their famed Triple Strike Piano wore off pretty quickly. The PC3 bears a strong resemblance to the PC2x and my gut says it's deju vu all over again. Kurzweil Music Systems, in whatever incarnation they are in now, really needs a breakthrough product and on the surface the PC3 ain't it.

The PC3 bears a strong resemblance to the PC2x and my gut says it's deju vu all over again. Kurzweil Music Systems, in whatever incarnation they are in now, really needs a breakthrough product and on the surface the PC3 ain't it.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way (Didn't want to get flamed!). I am TRULY excited that Kurzweil is getting back on it's feet, but this isn't the board that's going to take the world by storm.

Reading through the lines in the description, it's obvious this board will be nice, but is a solid step behind the curve. It's obvious they repackaged a lot and added some stuff that is new. The lack of sampling is a real buzzkill IMO. Not that many bread and butter guys use it, but it's becoming more popular. Even though Kurzweil's Wave ROMs still packed a LOT more punch than other synths Mb for Mb, I'm still curious what the size of the PC3's ROM is. Nice to see they finally bumped up polyphony!

Here's to a bright future for Kurzweil, and a K3000 that DOES mop up the floor with everyone else at a modest price next year. Speaking of price, for this board I find $2500 a little steep. Kurzweil used to be able to charge a premium because their workstations had the edge, and were the "creme of the crop". I feel Kurzweil no longer holds this status, and can't justify that premium until they are at least on par with the Big 3 again. The only current workstation I would consider the PC3 over at the moment is the Fusion.

This is where you put your gear list that no one reads anyway!

Couple of questions:

1) Can the internal sounds be modified within the keyboard instead of having to use the editor software as with the pc2?

2) Can sounds be programmed to the two auxiliary outs only? (EX: I want to output the KB3 sounds independent of the main outs so I can play those sounds through a different amp).

I must say I am pretty excited about the PC3. It may not be everything to everybody (and others wont like it) but I will give it serious consideration for this years GAS attack.

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

As a long time PC88 user, I am glad that Kurzweil is finally releasing a new controller. But the PC2X didn't work for me sound wise...so I don't see how I'm going to like the PC3. When I read the description, I can't help but feel that it's a lot of hype for something that's been out already for years. Sound wise, isn't this mostly a PC2x loaded with both roms? Mostly what I care about is the piano sounds in a controller. Kurzweil is basically saying our triple strike piano (despite it being about 6 yrs old) is so good we don't have to offer a new sample. I know there are fans of this piano sound but it never worked for me in a live context....sort of classical, boxy sounding....nice for solo playing but it didn't really work for me playing with a band...just didn't cut and it got really unpleasant sounding at loud volumes.

And the classic keys rom for rhodes, etc.....is this the same rom for the PC series or the one for the K2600? Because the one for the PC series still used the rhodes samples from the PC2 rom which DO GET THIN SOUNDING in the upper registers. They tried to work around this by not using "hard strike" samples in the upper register, but that just made the rhodes sounds less dynamic up in that range.

If Kurzweil was announcing this instrument with a new piano and new rhodes/wurly samples (and everything else the same), I would be really excited about it and could see myself ditching my S90ES for it.....but I already passed on the PC2X.....

Maybe it's just as someone had said a few weeks back, with the state of the company in recent years, they did not have an opportunity for new R+D....so the PC3 is sort of saying, "we're back with a new product!"....(but the reality is it's mostly a hyped up version of what they already had). Don't get me wrong, the specs on this board are amazing.....I love the hardware and software improvements...but sonically speaking, it seems like a loaded PC2X.

I might be GASsing for a new 88 weighted in the future. The last time I wanted to test a Kurzweil I had to drive 4 1/2 hrs One Way!!! I won't be doing that again, and as others have said it sounds like they are using the cereal mantra of NEW and IMPROVED, which is little more than a new package.

I am also confused about the action. If it doesn't have the feel then it can't be real. Like the glove that didn't fit, you have to acquit. I have to have a strong piano feel and this sounds like lightly weighted keys. I might look at the PC3 as a module but I can't say I am thrilled with what I have read so far.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Correct me if I'm wrong, but so far, the PC3 seems to be a PC2X with more presets, some more expandability, and a little more 26xx-like editability. It doesn't feel like a quantum leap above, but rather a reasonable upgrade to, the PC2 series. I think the K2661 will still remain my gig board, based on what I've heard so far.

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

Right, since we all know musical instrument companies ought to be owned by Japanese motorcycle companies instead. ;)

John

Actually, Yamaha Corp. started out originally as a musical instrument manufacturer producing Organs. When upright Pianos became popular in the West, Yamaha shifted its manufacturing emphasis to Pianos. Not until much later, i.e. 1955, did Yamaha make its first motorcycle.

Hyundai Motors has huge financial resources and they are willing to venture into other areas of manufacturing much like Yamaha has done. As long as Hyundai Motors puts in the needed resources, qualified personnel, and the R&D necessary to establish and maintain a viable product line of keyboards under the Kurzweil name, then I for one don't really see a problem with Kurzweil being owned by a foreign company that makes automobiles or by some other company that makes any other kind of product. As long as that company puts in the needed resources and puts a high priority on creating high quality, viable consumer driven keyboard products, then more power to them. :thu: And more power to Kurzweil if those ends are indeed accomplished. :cool: The PC3 sounds to me like a step in the right direction.

Mike

I just never got the Kurzweil thing. I was a HUGE fan of their K250 (heard Moraz play it live, just he and Bruford, and it sounded amazing!).

But by the time I could find their stuff in stores, while bowled over their potential, their sound just never grabbed me. And everytime I play a PC88, or PC1 or PC2, I just wonder "what is the big deal???" Potential and hardware capability don't compensate for unimpressive sound.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Archived