Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC3 info (for real :)

C.J. Lewis

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I take it that the PC3 "Triple Strike Piano" is the same as the one heard in the PC2X. It's still 55 lbs with the same Triple Strike Piano sound, I'll pass.

For now, considering this is transition to new products to come, I forgive about piano status quo. For many people PC2, still sounds great today.

However, in next two - three years, I expect to find many debates here all about Kurzweil new piano samples. I want to read topics where people would have a hard time choosing between (into the future) 1000SX , S100ES, GEMP4 and the latest PC4, all while looking for the best piano sounds. And that K3000 better be something special. I don't mind if they extend dates on K3000, but they have to deliver serious innovation.

[Ouch :oNo kidding guys. Give CJ a break.Your argument could also be aimed at Korg, Roland and Yamaha. So where are their guys when you post a question like this?I know we're all very passionate regarding the instruments we play. Why don't we give the good folks at Kurzweil the opportunity to sort out their retail channels and get the PC3 in stores before we start blindly bashing it sight unseen or unheard?

I'm patient. I hope PC3 would sell well. But I'm waiting for that signature stuff for my real Kurz GAS appetite. Nevertheless, looking forward to check PC3

Hmmmm... My English is not very good, so I suppose you are kidding, right? :grin: Otherwise, it would be sad. :(

P.S. Cydonia, do you have a link with full size version of your avatar? I really like it.

Honestly, I've probably said too much about the release date already. That doesn't mean we won't release in July -- this is just the target we were told by the people working on it. I'm telling my dealers late summer, early fall and hoping for quicker.

Don't worry, I think most folks here know the drill and won't hold you to the dates you mention. It's just going to be difficult holding out when I need one now. Good luck, and don't forget to "accidentally" drop it when its ready for the serious testing.

Raul

I have to admit, as a non-Kurz guy, I'm kind of excited by all the info. Anyone here have any opinions (!) how the PC2x stacks up against the Motif or Fantom in regard to sound, and midi controller functionality? No one out here has one for me to listen to, and I'm inclined to buy a PC2x for now, and then upgrade to the PC3 when that becomes available in the fall.

My current opinion: I prefer the Fantom for synth textures; prefer the Motif for pianos and eps; TRIED to love the Nord Stage, but regardless of how I tweaked, I just felt the piano sounds were weak, even when layered, when amplified in a rock band context. (I loved their EPs and organ however, and still own my Electro.)

Thoughts and advice?

T

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Hi everyone! Im new here. I have a K PC2.

@CJ

Please tell me that there will be a 76 version of PC3 :)

I can't imagine why not, but that's just me.

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

CJ,

Do you know if any of the R&D put into the PC3 will trikle down into a Flash ROM update for the PC2?

Tom

Tom, I seriously doubt it - the PC2 engine just couldn't handle what the PC3 will be capable of - especially in the V.A.S.T. arena.

I have to admit, as a non-Kurz guy, I'm kind of excited by all the info. Anyone here have any opinions (!) how the PC2x stacks up against the Motif or Fantom in regard to sound, and midi controller functionality? No one out here has one for me to listen to, and I'm inclined to buy a PC2x for now, and then upgrade to the PC3 when that becomes available in the fall.

My current opinion: I prefer the Fantom for synth textures; prefer the Motif for pianos and eps; TRIED to love the Nord Stage, but regardless of how I tweaked, I just felt the piano sounds were weak, even when layered, when amplified in a rock band context. (I loved their EPs and organ however, and still own my Electro.)

Thoughts and advice?

tony, as a Motif, Fantom, and Triton owner myself - I find myself using all 4 for different things (unfortunately). I do like the Fantom and Triton for textures, but certainly prefer the PC series for orchestral sounds (sorry, even with the complete orch card in my XR). The best thing I've heard for an ensemble is the PC2X layered with the complete orch card and my K2600RS 'Aaron's Finale' for flavor - it's just fabulous.

I truly believe that once you play the PC2 against your Motif (or ES), you'll notice a definite difference in the piano sound. Which one you prefer, who knows? Do you like a Steinway or a Yamaha piano sound? The ES does not have a triple strike (IIRC), only the S90ES (was that your doing, Mike? :grin:)

Good luck!

ivorycj

Hmmm do I read correctly that there will be a future expansion ROM Block dedicated to orchestral strings alone? Will that be standard, or will it be an option to come? i don't see it listed under "options"...
Kawai MP7, Kurzweil PC361, DSI Pro2, Streichfett, Nektar P6, NI Maschine Studio, KMI QuNeo, Eventide H9, Zoom MS100BT, VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Arturia BeatStep Pro.

Quote by IvoryCJ:

--------------------------------------

I truly believe that once you play the PC2 against your Motif (or ES), you'll notice a definite difference in the piano sound. Which one you prefer, who knows? Do you like a Steinway or a Yamaha piano sound? The ES does not have a triple strike (IIRC), only the S90ES (was that your doing, Mike? )

--------------------------------------

That's INCORRECT CJ. The Motif ES does indeed have a triple strike piano sample, and its in stereo. The S90ES has a newer piano sample than the ES and it has half damper capability, which the ES does not. The new XS also has half damper capability, but I don't know for sure if the same exact sample as the S90ES.

Frankly, we're splitting hairs here. Synth and digital piano samples are SO much better than the old Sh.. I use to play, and software stuff is pretty incredible if you can handle using a laptop or worse yet, a WINDOWS based computer to run it on.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

CJ,

Do you know if any of the R&D put into the PC3 will trikle down into a Flash ROM update for the PC2?

Tom

Tom, I seriously doubt it - the PC2 engine just couldn't handle what the PC3 will be capable of - especially in the V.A.S.T. arena.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I'm going to have to spend money here, aren't I? :rolleyes:

I've always had a gift for predicting the future. :idea:

I foresee me drinking a beer in the next few minutes.

It's Friday afternoon. Who's in? :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I'm in Tom, on my way shortly.

Who else but......Mike T

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

That's INCORRECT CJ. The Motif ES does indeed have a triple strike piano sample, and its in stereo.

I stand corrected - I guess I didn't RC...

Frankly, we're splitting hairs here. Synth and digital piano samples are SO much better than the old Sh.. I use to play, and software stuff is pretty incredible if you can handle using a laptop or worse yet, a WINDOWS based computer to run it on.

I agree - remember the EPS16+ piano sound that we all thought was so awesome because it was on its OWN floppy disk? Ha ha ha - those were the days.

ivorycj

software stuff is pretty incredible if you can handle using a laptop or worse yet, a WINDOWS based computer to run it on.

Yeah that's right, cus Mac is just SO much more betterer than Windows. Microsoft is evil!

Mac junkies, I swear... :rolleyes:

I use a Windows machine at work as well as at home. My nephew has a MAC and its a lot less troublesome. Maybe its because the Mac OS doesn't let you mess with anything that will make things WORSE.

Quote by ivoryCJ:

---------------------------------------

I agree - remember the EPS16+ piano sound that we all thought was so awesome because it was on its OWN floppy disk? Ha ha ha - those were the days.

---------------------------------------

Hey, ignorance is bliss! I was reviewing the purchases I made over the last year for tax purpose recently, and I found I have less invested in the 2 KB's I use for live gigs than I had in my Prophet 5 back in the 80's. Yep, today's gear sounds better, is more reliable, and costs less. Still, everyone complains. If vendors gave us all FREE pianos, we'd probably complain because we'd have to pay the shipping.

Mike T.

Hmmm do I read correctly that there will be a future expansion ROM Block dedicated to orchestral strings alone? Will that be standard, or will it be an option to come? i don't see it listed under "options"...

execlass - our brand new string ROM will be standard.

Happy, happy

ivorycj

execlass - our brand new string ROM will be standard.

Happy, happy

Happy indeed. I've been saving up to buy a PC2x, but at only $300US more, bloody hell, might as well work the extra two weeks and go for this biggun. This looks like a major upgrade from the PC2x.

spin,

Does your K2500 have the KDFX option? That would make a huge difference in the KB3 sound for sure, and some of the control features that KDFX would allow based on physical controller accessibility. I represent Kurzweil, nord, and Hammond, and have to say that nothing is like a B-3, but KB3 in my K2600 or K2661 comes pretty darn close. I'm even more interested in the PC3's KB3 mode with its 8U Leslie effects :grin:

ivorycj

Archived