Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finding a pick off the floor - best thing this week!

PeeMonkey

I've been playing quite some time thinking I had the right pick for me, but I was wrong! I was walking around the bestbuy today, and it was amazing, they had musical gear, WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?! They had guitars, amplifiers, everything, but limited to Gibson, Dunlop, Epi, G&L, Peavey, and some others.

But onto the story. I found a pick off the floor, a very small one compared to what I always use, a Jim Dunlop Jazz III pick, and man I never knew a very small pick could make so much a difference in playing! I found my note picking to be more clear and precise and less messy with this small pick. So I ended up buying a pack of these picks and man I am loving it.

I probalby need to go try out every single pick the store has to offer, but do you guys ever ponder around and try out new picks, or you've tried them all already. Before I was using a Dunlop Tortex pick, which I am never going to touch again.

Also what pick do you guys prefer?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Out of curiosity, am I correct in assuming that you cannot smash your guitar up with a small pick as you can with a potato-chip sized thing? Or is it possible as long as you have some finesse? I'm all for adding a more versatile pick to my toolset :D

I've been thinking about chucking picks altogether, in favor of just fingers. It's hard to argue with results like Jeff Beck gets...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by Picker:

I've been thinking about chucking picks altogether, in favor of just fingers. It's hard to argue with results like Jeff Beck gets...

It`s going to take a little more than ten fingers to get those results.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Originally posted by skipclone 1:

Originally posted by Braxat:

a 10 dollar pick ? wow Oo

ten dollars and up, and definitely worth it.
I could never own a pick that costs that much. I notoriously lose them. They end up in the wash, under the couch, wherever.

I used the Black Jazz III's for years. I love how fast you can play with them. Once I ran out on the road and called Jim Dunlop and he was like"what town are you in next?" I told him and he named a store and said I will have some waiting there for you. Awesome, I was stoked, and they were there too!

The problem I had with them that I ignored for a long time is I would wear through my nail on my 3rd finger. I hold a pick with thumb and two fingers and that pick is so small that my fingers would rub on the strings. My nail would get sooothin in that area.

I use the Ultex 1.12mm picks now......oh nOOOOOOOOO!!

Dudes I just looked at my Ibanez nylon and noticed the strings all over the place, figured a couple had broken..picked it up and the bridge is torn off it.....the wire for the transducer is broken off and all.........how'd this happen, out of warranty too....oh man I gotta go have a moment!!

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

Heh, ever notice when you drop a pick it lands on the other side of the room?

What he said.

I use Jim Dunlop gel, heavy size (the red ones). I can never remember the metric measurement number.

Originally posted by FumbleFingers:

I used the Black Jazz III's for years. I love how fast you can play with them. Once I ran out on the road and called Jim Dunlop and he was like"what town are you in next?" I told him and he named a store and said I will have some waiting there for you. Awesome, I was stoked, and they were there too!

The problem I had with them that I ignored for a long time is I would wear through my nail on my 3rd finger. I hold a pick with thumb and two fingers and that pick is so small that my fingers would rub on the strings. My nail would get sooothin in that area.

I use the Ultex 1.12mm picks now......oh nOOOOOOOOO!!

Dudes I just looked at my Ibanez nylon and noticed the strings all over the place, figured a couple had broken..picked it up and the bridge is torn off it.....the wire for the transducer is broken off and all.........how'd this happen, out of warranty too....oh man I gotta go have a moment!!

Yea, since I have small hands and short fingers, the Jazz III is really great for my hands, and it makes picking so much easier for me. However, they are so darn small, I lost about 3 of them already, but I usually just cycle around, lose 3-4 at a time, find some later, then lose some more, and it goes on and on!

hey skip

that is really starting to piss me off.

and

people saying that pisses you off or that happening?

also, which particular dugain picks have you used and any recommendations? id like to try one sometime but i wanna try the right one, ya know? thanks man

Originally posted by Bullet Train to Osaka:

hey skip

that is really starting to piss me off.

and

people saying that pisses you off or that happening?

also, which particular dugain picks have you used and any recommendations? id like to try one sometime but i wanna try the right one, ya know? thanks man

I`m referring to the loss of horizontal control effect, when I remember looking at the reply before and not seeing it.

As you may know the selection available in Japan is much better than what is suggested on the home page. I have wood models in ebony, pernambuco and snakewood (my favorite) and the boxwood is sort of a `national wood of Japan`. For stone I would recommend the red jasper, an overall favorite but now we`re getting into some yen-close to $20 U.S. Haven`t tried the hematite and the ox bone is a fine choice and closer to $10 U. S. Haven`t tried the coconut shell either. The ultimate seems to be abalone, I have one but it`s in the U.S., fantastic pick and into the high yen zone.

BTW, they also recently came out with one in mammoth ivory. I would recommend one of those from Tuskbuffer instead but he seems to be on hiatus for now so if you find one go for it.

Update-

Dang if I didn`t forget one but I haven`t tried it. It`s Gaiac, as far as I know it`s some kind of pine, weird green color. In the $10 range.

I like Starcaster's pick!

_________ http://myspace-655.vo.llnwd.net/00410/55/62/410202655_m.gif

Meaty tone! :D

Seriously, I use my finger-nails, finger-tips, or both together, all five on my picking-hand. I can use my index-nail to do much of what I might ever want to do with a pick, and that's kinda like a small, sculpted pick.

But in the past- and any time I might want to use a pick- I prefer either a Dunlop Medium or Heavy "Big Stubby",

-or-

these tiny little tear-drop shaped, nylon mandolin picks that I'll alter to be bent concave and file and sand their edges and tips to a smooth, radiused (round) edge.

This latter would be my pick-of-picks; I was going to have "Tuskbuffer" make me some of those, and some Big Stubby clones, out of fossilized Mammoth ivory, but then he sort of disapeared... ??

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

thanks skip, they sound interesting, i might try one out in a little bit. Im not really woried about losing it, cause come on, its a $10 pick im gonna keep track of a pick costing that much. (or so i hope)

i was thinking the bone would be cool, but maybe abalone would be better. I cant really find descriptions on sound characterists and feel so well see.

thanks again

Archived