Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finding a pick off the floor - best thing this week!

PeeMonkey

My .02

Last I talked to Tuskbuffer, he still claimed that "to the best of his knowledge" he was obtaining the real thing - and I tend to believe him, HOWEVER, someone started bearing down on his case about his sources so he just dropped out of the biz, shut down his site and may have dissapeared :freak: (I never did get my pick)

And it was WeWus who makes the picks out of Piano Keys (He's a Piano Tuner)

Lynn G

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what that means is that Lark In The Morning and a number of large music chains would be liable for prosecution under CITIES. I`m going to wait and see if that happens. I despise poaching utterly but if there`s a legal case here I`d like to follow it. I also wonder, as I mentioned before, what would be the advantage of substituting one type of ivory for the other? I believe the real thing (mammoth ivory) is actually cheaper than contemporary elephant ivory so where`s the motive?

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

My guess (again IMHO) is that providers of illegal ivory advertise under false pretense and make their customers believe that they are getting something genuine and legal and that they don't need to file any paperwork since it's not elephant ivory. Naive merchants fall for it and unknowingly enter an illegal trade. The motive here is that outlawed dealers presumably have easier access to poached ivory than fossilized one.

As a side note, I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to have commercial access to actual supplies of fossilized mammoth ivory in a legal way.

Well, I certainly do not want to encourage the heinous slaughter of elephant-kind in any way. If that means a little inconvenience for me or other bipeds with opposable thumbs, oh well, it's worth the trade-off.

As for rhino horn, that's actually hair and would likely make for a poor guitar pick, "IMHO"! :D Definitely makes for a much better weapon and status-symbol for a savanah-stompin' cheetah-charger...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

As for rhino horn, that's actually hair and would likely make for a poor guitar pick (...)

It's made of densely packed fiber strands, not unlike your beloved fingernails :) . But I didn't say that and I'm sure it wouldn't sound good at all ;):D .

I don`t know, maybe it`s true but that suggests unbelievable sloppiness and negligence on the part of some authorities who are purporting to be stepping up border security. The merchants are one thing but no one`s paying any attention to the importers? How did they ever crack down on the `war diamond` trade with that level of competence?

Meanwhile I don`t know whatever became of this but have a look:

www.greennature.com/article1910.html

Originally posted by skipclone 1:

I don`t know, maybe it`s true but that suggests unbelievable sloppiness and negligence on the part of some authorities who are purporting to be stepping up border security. The merchants are one thing but no one`s paying any attention to the importers? How did they ever crack down on the `war diamond` trade with that level of competence?

Meanwhile I don`t know whatever became of this but have a look:

www.greennature.com/article1910.html

US Fish and Wildlife Enforcement is under staffed and undeclared shipments never get to be inspected properly.

Here\'s what happened to the previous conditional approval (conditions were not met).

Bravo Kenya. Japan has some real problems about wildlife smuggling, both live and byproducts. Pisses me off. But this means does it not, that things even worse than illegal wildlife products could be getting past those inspections?

Originally posted by Rhino Madness:

Originally posted by skipclone 1:

But this means does it not, that things even worse than illegal wildlife products could be getting past those inspections?

I'm afraid all kinds of smugglers can always find a way... :(:mad:
And DHS has no interest in the issue? they`re just leaving DFW to deal with it? jeez...

Have any of you tried a sarod pick? They're made of coconuts which, AFAIK are not on any environmentally sensitive list.

For those who may not know, the sarod is an Indian stringed instrument without frets, with a beautiful sliding sound and a real punch. Some great players include Ali Akbar Khan (who sometimes played with Ravi Shankar) and Amjad Ali Khan, the Django of the sarod!

The pick gives a really punchy, strong sound for lead. It's not ideal for real fasting strumming, though! I bought myself one in the Village for a Christmas present. Since Santa doesn't care about me anymore... maybe I'm too naughty for him....

Originally posted by Rhino Madness:

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

As for rhino horn, that's actually hair and would likely make for a poor guitar pick (...)

It's made of densely packed fiber strands, not unlike your beloved fingernails :) . But I didn't say that and I'm sure it wouldn't sound good at all ;):D .
Well, since you inspired me, I've been experimenting with Rhino Horn for a guitar pick; but so far, it's been no good for speed-picking, string-skipping, arpeggiating, travis-picking, etc. etc., as so far the Rhino has only been interested in playing one big power-chord followed by the road-crew getting our guitar and Marshall stack out of a tree-top...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I used Fender celluloid 351s forever until I was at my uncles and just happened to pick up a blue Dunlop Tortex (1.0mm). The next day I went down to the store and bought a dozen. I would wear out the Fenders in no time, but the Tortex seems to last longer and feel better. The red ones, I'm not sure of the size (thin), are great for acoustic.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Archived