Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Forum

Whether it's info on a scale or mode, advice on buying that new effect pedal, or just a good discussion about guitars, this forum is the place for you. Our own little virtual pub. Come on in and stay a while...

The Guitar Forum.jpg

34,138 topics in this forum

• 4 replies
    • 3.7k views
  1. Need Opinions...Princeton VS POD

• 4 replies
    • 3.2k views
  2. hey tedster!!!

• 1 reply
    • 2.4k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.8k views
    • 2 replies
    • 2.7k views
  3. Recent Songs For Students To Learn

• 9 replies
    • 5.4k views
  4. Best sounding guitar effects?

• 18 replies
    • 9.7k views
  5. Bass Amplifiers

• 1 reply
    • 2.6k views
    • 14 replies
    • 8.2k views
    • 2 replies
    • 2.8k views
  6. Santa came early

• 6 replies
    • 4.8k views
  7. Guitars: Grow sweeter with age?

• 7 replies
    • 4.4k views
  8. Keep me in tune...

• 6 replies
    • 5.7k views
  9. The recording FAQ

• 0 replies
    • 2.2k views
    • 3 replies
    • 4.8k views
    • 2 replies
    • 3k views
    • 0 replies
    • 2.4k views
    • 0 replies
    • 2.6k views
  • Trending posts on MPN

• Nice. I’ve got a much better shot at this than a Kronos.
    • https://www.gforcesoftware.com/products/imposcar3/   An instant buy for me.  A little disappointing that they didn't include X-mods, but there's plenty more stuff to dig into.   Oops - I didn't see there's a thread here already for this.  Feel free to delete this one (or combine it).
    • https://synthanatomy.com/2024/05/superbooth-24-korg-collection-5-with-arp-2600-ep-1-and-vox-super-continental-emulations.html
    • My most recent lesson was a week ago.  Next one comes up in about 2.5 hours.
    • Wow, it was about time. The Chroma has been my main synth for a long time. I learned serious synthesis on it. It was my entrance key to start working in studios: An highlight was when they used my oboe and vibraphone sound that I had programmed on the Chroma, instead of the ones from the Kurzweil 250. They weren't more realistic that the sampled sounds - but they were musical. I hated the Chroma for its interface, that damn sheet of paper with the parameters, and its weight; I loved it for its sound, its programming depth and its keyboard. When I sold it in the late 90s, I had dreams about it for about a year. Seriously.   I bought my Chroma with an Apple IIe computer and proprietary pre-MIDI interface. It came with two drivers for 5-1/4 floppy disks and a monochrome, green phosphor screen. No graphic interface, no mouse. I sold my Korg Trident and put all the money from my second big tour on the purchase.   I used the computer to save and load sound banks and single patches, and to sequence stuff; it was my first computer and my first sequencer, kind of a brute force approach. After a while I got a more modern computer and a MIDI sequencer, and the majestic Chroma started to feel inadequate... there was rumor of a third-party MIDI interface from the USA, but I never came to get one, and the digital era was pushing hard... I think you know the story. Someone made me a decent offer, in a time when it seemed that all analog instruments were destined to the dumpster...   I must confess that I never used software emulations (most disappointed me), except for a couple of free ones and, for a while, The Legend. But I'll give a serious listen to this one. My main regret is that my Chroma sounds are gone forever, years of work... Btw - it*was* about time. I'm curious about what feeling this new instrument will give me.
  • In MPN’s GEARLAB

• I remember seeing the ads in Keyboard and a picture of the Odyssey on the Musicians Friend catalog. I really wanted one but ended up with the MiniMoog because it was available. In the late 70's you didn't have a lot of choices in a small rural town. Was very interested when this came out but reviews of the horrible touch pads scared me away. Wish it had more jacks for interfacing with the Behringer 2600. Still, maybe someday. Wonder how it compares to the Korg version?
    • Carlo, you make that Oddy sound fabulous! I have a black-face Oddy and Axxe in my garage, have had both since the '80's, and both need new sliders, probably new caps, and a ton of cleaning. But hearing you play it made me feel nostalgic for that sound! Given the price of the Behringer, it'll probably be cheaper to just buy a new one than to fix mine.
    • OT - just a comment on the original white face Oddy - I modified mine so I had an octave up/down switch. Also changed the pitch knob to one which had a notch sticking out so that I could curl my little finger round it and be confident that I could return it to the neutral position. And I managed to rewire the modulation slider on the first oscillator so that the second oscillator modulated too. It was all very ambitious of me, with not much real understanding of what I was doing, but it worked nicely. i hung onto it for years, only selling it off about 10 years ago. Nowadays I occasionally use the app on the iPad. It’s close enough for me.
  • Come join MPN’s Clubs!

• Blog Entries